Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 12:25 PM

18,733 posts, read 33,406,561 times

Advertisements

I think I saw something like that in Denver rental apartments, meals and shuttle transportation and a monthly rent that is reasonable for those amenities. A minimal buy-in- like$1000. Has anyone heard of this kind of rental? It's what I would consider if certain physical compromises came up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2024, 01:03 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,222,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think I saw something like that in Denver rental apartments, meals and shuttle transportation and a monthly rent that is reasonable for those amenities. A minimal buy-in- like$1000. Has anyone heard of this kind of rental? It's what I would consider if certain physical compromises came up.
Yes, I think you are describing what I know of as independent living facilities. I looked at quite a few for my mother years ago. She is now in a step up with a greater level of care, but I think these communities are all over the country. Some also have two wings, one for independent living and one for assisted living, which is nice if someone needs to transition they can do so in the same facility. The independent living facilities we looked at all had emergency call mechanisms in the units as well, which was nice - things like pull cords in the bathrooms, etc., so if someone had an emergency they could alert staff.

Old 04-21-2024, 01:24 PM

^^
I doubt I could afford assisted living. I am interested in future needs for independent living (apartment). No interest in intergenerational living!
What did you see for your mother, price ranges if I may ask?

Old 04-21-2024, 03:39 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,222,561 times
Quote:
^^
I doubt I could afford assisted living. I am interested in future needs for independent living (apartment). No interest in intergenerational living!
What did you see for your mother, price ranges if I may ask?
It was over 7 years ago so I really can't recall the rates, except I do remember being amazed by how wide a range it was, although it was predictable given the range of amenities and quality of the facilities. I also looked in two different states with different costs of living and there was, unsurprisingly, a huge difference between the two. When I looked in Massachusetts I was only able to find one place she could afford and it would have been an hour away from me with the tiniest room imaginable and a shared bathroom with another unit. It's one of the reasons she stayed close to my sister rather than moving up nearer to me.

Old 04-21-2024, 03:43 PM

Everything in Massachusetts is wildly expensive. I think I'd do best looking near where I am now (used to be in Boston) while real estate has zoomed up here like so many places, wages are normal sort of, and I think I'd be happier near my town.

Old 04-21-2024, 03:45 PM

^^
I do hope to stay in my house in this town but need a back up plan. I always need a Plan B then C. And so on.

Old 04-21-2024, 06:43 PM

7,779 posts, read 6,394,423 times
You can view them online, look for "senior living"or"CCRC" in the area where you want to live.

Old 04-21-2024, 07:01 PM

Can't afford CCRC and don't want them. I'm interested in age-restricted rental apartments. Just trying to do my legwork in case I need to know.

Old 04-22-2024, 05:34 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,736 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Can't afford CCRC and don't want them. I'm interested in age-restricted rental apartments. Just trying to do my legwork in case I need to know.
Contact senior services and housing authority in your chosen region.

Maybe you qualify for a rent subsidy. (Varies on cost of housing, but Denver is very high)

Cousin just bought and moved into a very nice senior living coop in COS. Great view! (Not inexpensive). As a pre Colorado dweller for 30+ yrs. CoS or GJ far outweighs Denver for me. But my application is already filled out and waiting at Wyoming Pioneer Home (Thermopolis). Wrap me up and ship me to my final swim in the hot springs.

Old 04-22-2024, 07:57 AM

19,444 posts, read 27,855,486 times
The Triangle in NC has MANY rental Apts in the area - not really a CCRC, though some of those services are included (meals, housekeeping, some transportation, pools, exercise rooms, activities, etc.). Except for (high) security deposits, no buy in required. However, NONE are 'cheap' - AFAIK, $3500+ per month.

I only know of one that is 55+ and income restricted. I don't think they offer all those amenities, but the complex and neighborhood are lovely and VERY close to restaurants, shopping, etc. I've heard the Apts are very nice. Even with the income restrictions, rent starts at $1250+
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement