Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 12:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithk0721 View Post
Thanks every one. I am 63 and want to retire in 1 or 2 years. ... I am by self so it is a little scary. I do have a dog. ...To me, buying is best because your equity keeps increasing no matter how long I stay there. wrong Renting seems to me like throwing money away . wrong Who knows, I might get there and decide Portland is not for me but in my mind, I could still be making some profit on the real estate. I guess I think 63 is rather late to be doing this but I do know 63 is rather young these days. Just keep going back and forth.
do the math (ALL the math) nothing magic about renting when your capital could be actually WORKING FOR you. +/-... Do what is right for you. You have to sleep at night.

My mom did 8+ executive (spendy) flip homes after retirement (the latest at age 87) on her own...
Currently tough to beat $250k income tax free gains every 24 months. (Sale of primary home). A married friend took the $500k tax free gains every 24 months (9x), while working FT at another demanding career.

I will assure you NONE of my personal residences have been a viable performing asset, and my current home is worth 10x what it cost me to build. (it's Still a liability, not an asset). I could rent the SAME or better for about 30% less than my 'opportunity cost' (tied up assets). I could buy a NNN commercial prop with my equity and rent anywhere in the world. (Taiwan sounds good during Covid) .

Old 05-12-2020, 03:19 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
It is both of our hope we don’t come off this hill until we are carried off — not breathing

In my last house, my former dream house in eastern Mass. built in 2001, I said I'd only leave "married or feet first, and feet first is more likely."

Never say never.

I sold it in 2018 and moved to my smaller dream cabin in town in SW Colorado.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:34 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
do the math (ALL the math) nothing magic about renting when your capital could be actually WORKING FOR you. +/-... Do what is right for you. You have to sleep at night.

My mom did 8+ executive (spendy) flip homes after retirement (the latest at age 87) on her own...
Currently tough to beat $250k income tax free gains every 24 months. (Sale of primary home). A married friend took the $500k tax free gains every 24 months (9x), while working FT at another demanding career.

I will assure you NONE of my personal residences have been a viable performing asset, and my current home is worth 10x what it cost me to build. (it's Still a liability, not an asset). I could rent the SAME or better for about 30% less than my 'opportunity cost' (tied up assets). I could buy a NNN commercial prop with my equity and rent anywhere in the world. (Taiwan sounds good during Covid) .
That is our case too ...for what I loose in opportunity cost Tying up hundreds of thousands of dollars in a house it is more than all our living expenses ...

Old 05-12-2020, 04:10 PM

11,780 posts, read 5,795,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
But, for your particular situation, it requires living in ALABAMA.
I hope you're saying that in jest because we plan on retiring in Alabama in the next year or so. Great people, food and low property taxes. My retirement money will go farther down there than staying in NY with foolish regulations and laws being forced down our throats every year.

To each their own - but I'm getting sick of the Southern jokes and making people think they are less because of where they live.

Old 05-12-2020, 04:21 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I hope you're saying that in jest because we plan on retiring in Alabama in the next year or so. Great people, food and low property taxes. My retirement money will go farther down there than staying in NY with foolish regulations and laws being forced down our throats every year.

To each their own - but I'm getting sick of the Southern jokes and making people think they are less because of where they live.
Get used to it, but realize it always someone trying to score points at your expense to make themselves feel better. Let it go and be happy you have an open mind.

To the OP: Buy if owning is your comfort zone, rent if you want more liquid assets or aren’t sure of an area. We had multiple pets, grandkids in an area we already knew well and we were looking during the last housing downturn. Buying made more sense in our situation.

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-12-2020 at 04:56 PM..

Old 05-12-2020, 04:47 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I...

I'll admit to the same even though I've never been further south than Virginia and that was many years ago. When I hear "flyover country," I wince, knowing that no one in those supposed areas would ever use that phrase. It smacks of the "coastal elites" and all the ugly divisions playing out in our country these days and previously.

Old 05-12-2020, 05:03 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,511,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithk0721 View Post
When retiring, should I rent or buy? What are the pros and cons in your opinion?
It depends.

Old 05-12-2020, 05:06 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,511,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
You should rent before you buy when moving to a new area anyway - just to be sure you like it and have a handle on the local area you want to live. Portland seems like an active community so there are probably local groups you can find and join online. Hope you like cold weather.
This seems to good advice.

Old 05-12-2020, 05:53 PM

403 posts, read 240,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Wait, but didn't you have all those HELOCs from another thread?? You can't take out a HELOC on a rental. The money "tied up" in a property is a big secure cash reserve - ie, you can borrow against it, and selling it (if you must) can more than compensate for effects of severe inflation. A home is also a rare asset that appreciates while actually being thoroughly used. Plus, it has a durable emotional value if you don't keep flipping it. Isn't the emotional value the only real value in the end? After we take care of bare survival, isn't the whole purpose of surplus money to get stuff that has emotional value? Isn't that in fact the purpose of life?

Old 05-12-2020, 05:54 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,296,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
But, for your particular situation, it requires living in ALABAMA.
You took the words right out of my mouth!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement