Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 05:11 PM

14,810 posts, read 11,954,900 times

Advertisements

I've been retired from my last full time regular job for 9 years now. And I love being retired. That said, I continued my "side gig" of being a part time contractual educational consultant, ( they called me that). I wrote courses, and multiple choice test questions, catalog descriptions, objectives for clinical laboratory continuing education, for a family owned business that did continuing education in nursing and a few other health care professions ( not doctors). It was work I could do from home, as it's all internet based, at my own speed on my own schedule. My employers never put pressure or deadlines on the work, were happy as clams with what I did, and I could put the work aside and pursue my leisure ( or obligations as I wanted or needed to. And they always paid what I asked.

So I decided I'd had enough ( after 17 yrs of working for them) about three years ago, and broke it to my employers ( who long ago became my friends) that I wanted to quit this gig. I even found them another writer who I knew would do a good job- a former co-worker. I appreciated the three years off, especially with some health issues I was having. And I figured that my days as a technical writer were over. REALLY retired now.

Or so I thought. This last January, I got an email from Mrs. Continuing Education, who told me that their editor had died suddenly, and they were in dire need of a replacement for her. She was almost apologetic, and said she'd understand if I declined, but she was asking me to take that position as their editor. She offered me a decent hourly rate, and said if that wasn't enough they'd pay almost anything I asked ("the offer I couldn't refuse), and I accepted it. Their previous editor really was an exceptional lady, and I don't think I'm up to her standards, ( and I know she was nicer than I am), but I can do a decent job at this. So with this, I guess the job sort of fell into my lap, it's still working from home at pretty much my own pace, no pressure ( except what I put on myself to do my best and submit the work timely). And at this time I am happy to do it, I like doing it. And thrilled that I'm still able to do a good job at it.

So I guess I am not really retired?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 07:00 PM

88,041 posts, read 83,864,110 times
I retired four years ago. Officially and everything. I have paperwork from the NYS Retirement System saying I am retired. I receive a pension from that system. So, if someone wants to say I am not retired, take it up with them.

Many people from the agency from which I retired go on to work in the private sector. We are in demand because of our experience as well as our network of people and contacts.

In the four years since I retired, I did some work as an independent contractor, then I worked for a year for one engineering company part-time, then I went to another engineering company part-time. I am still officially with the last one, but I think my part-time post-retirement career is probably done. I was working fewer hours, especially over the past year, but now I have no worked since attending a conference for them in January.

What I do is a coronavirus's dream. I attend large industry events where we constantly shake hands with one another, make introductions, exchange business cards, sit at tables together to dine, and have close-in conversation about project pursuits and teaming opportunities.

I'm gonna be 62 in August. I think I'm done.

But the last three years especially were a lot of fun. The work was easy and the money was good. I was paid to talk to people and eat, basically. I even got to attend a breakfast last year with Governor Andrew Cuomo and 900 other people! I wasn't a big fan during my working years, but he was really quite humorous.

Old 05-17-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I retired four years ago. Officially and everything. I have paperwork from the NYS Retirement System saying I am retired. I receive a pension from that system. So, if someone wants to say I am not retired, take it up with them.

Many people from the agency from which I retired go on to work in the private sector. We are in demand because of our experience as well as our network of people and contacts.

In the four years since I retired, I did some work as an independent contractor, then I worked for a year for one engineering company part-time, then I went to another engineering company part-time. I am still officially with the last one, but I think my part-time post-retirement career is probably done. I was working fewer hours, especially over the past year, but now I have no worked since attending a conference for them in January.

What I do is a coronavirus's dream. I attend large industry events where we constantly shake hands with one another, make introductions, exchange business cards, sit at tables together to dine, and have close-in conversation about project pursuits and teaming opportunities.

I'm gonna be 62 in August. I think I'm done.

But the last three years especially were a lot of fun. The work was easy and the money was good. I was paid to talk to people and eat, basically. I even got to attend a breakfast last year with Governor Andrew Cuomo and 900 other people! I wasn't a big fan during my working years, but he was really quite humorous.
Sounds as though you have (had?) the best of both worlds there, being officially retired and working as a contractor for those engineering firms, and getting to attend those industry events. I'd figure that this coronavirus thing has probably put the kabosh on large events, at least for the rest of this year. But maybe they will pick up again next year.

And you're not even 62 yet-a mere spring chicken in my book (I'm 72).?Lots of years ahead of you to do what you love.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Sounds as though you have (had?) the best of both worlds there, being officially retired and working as a contractor for those engineering firms, and getting to attend those industry events. I'd figure that this coronavirus thing has probably put the kabosh on large events, at least for the rest of this year. But maybe they will pick up again next year.

And you're not even 62 yet-a mere spring chicken in my book (I'm 72).?Lots of years ahead of you to do what you love.
Well, that's not really what I'd love to do. I primarily worked to catch up on some financial obligations. It was always the plan to stop working and spend more time on things like writing and photography and catching up on movies I never saw during the years of long hours working and commuting. Coronavirus just helped me get there faster.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:23 PM

6,851 posts, read 4,331,289 times
Retired from human services at 58 and ever since I have been teaching a online college class for fun.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, that's not really what I'd love to do. I primarily worked to catch up on some financial obligations. It was always the plan to stop working and spend more time on things like writing and photography and catching up on movies I never saw during the years of long hours working and commuting. Coronavirus just helped me get there faster.
Guess you could look at the coronavirus thing as sort of a silver lining for you, maybe

Old 05-18-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Retired from human services at 58 and ever since I have been teaching a online college class for fun.
Now that'd be a fun thing to do, if you love teaching. You probably do, or you wouldn't call it fun.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Guess you could look at the coronavirus thing as sort of a silver lining for you, maybe
Well, in THAT way, yeah; meaning, forcing the decision not to work again. It hasn't done me any favors in most other ways, though.

I am grateful to be OK financially, anyway.

Old 05-18-2020, 02:33 PM

6,382 posts, read 4,758,665 times
I taught history for 30+ years in California, then retired to Maui. After sitting around for 6 months somewhat bored, I applied to substitute teach. My big surprise was that kids here are so well-mannered compared to Ca. Definitely the best job I've ever had. The pay is quite a bit lower than I earned full-time but I also have a pension.

Coronavirus brought that gig to a screeching halt, but I qualified for Unemployment. Now I "earn" slightly more than I did while working, but I truly miss my job! Some of us (Boomers) just weren't designed to sit around all day.

My advice is to try a part-time job. If you don't like it you can always quit.

Old 05-18-2020, 05:58 PM

349 posts, read 265,382 times
You can start your own part time law firm and only take on specific law cases in which you want to practice. If you like to keep busy, real estate law is most likely the best option for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement