Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 11:41 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
I had planned to fly to AZ. That has been put on hold until I feel comfortable with the COVID situation. I actually plan to stay away from places people are congregating.
Like others, no travel plans for the summer.

I very much wish we could go somewhere with cleaner air and a lot fewer people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 12:14 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
[mod cut - politics] It is the end of summer in South America. The weather is still warm and the Covid virus is ripping through Brazil and other countries.
No, it's the end of autumn and they're heading into winter. Summer ended months ago (Dec-Feb).

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 05-24-2020 at 06:31 PM..

Old 05-24-2020, 12:20 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
No experts are saying that the warmer summer weather is going to knock out Covid. I cannot help it if one well-known public figure keeps up endless wishful thinking about the pandemic. But you are right this should not be a political issue.

Right on all counts.

Old 05-24-2020, 12:21 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
No, it's the end of autumn and they're heading into winter. Summer ended months ago (Dec-Feb).

Other hot places having no apparent weather effect. Australia, India.

Old 05-24-2020, 12:33 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,869,863 times
The only plans we had were to visit our fairly new granddaughter. She was born in mid-November so we saw her then, at Christmas and for a few days the beginning of February. But she is growing so fast that it rips out my heart to not be able to visit her. DD says maybe July or August but it is a 6 hour drive and that means potty stops even with packing a lunch. We do a facetime type visit each Sunday but it's just not the same.

We have been pretty much at home. DH does the grocery shopping since I had major abdominal surgery last October. Have a doc appt in Philadelphia in 2 weeks but who knows if it will be postponed for the third time or not. It's in a large building with lots of docs, so pretty busy. Since being laid up with the surgery I was really looking forward to doing something this summer other than sit at home, but guess not.

Old 05-24-2020, 12:43 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
The thing is that we may never have a vaccine for this. People at risk should take precautions, but I think this virus is something we’ll have to live with to a point.

Old 05-24-2020, 01:29 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,448,689 times
We had only tentative plans to go to Austria/Italy in the fall to visit where my father-in-law grew up. I’m OK with postponing that.

But 18 months ago we moved from Utah back to California. Husband grew up in LA - and I was in both Northern and Southern Californian from 1976-1990. We both missed it and wanted to do some “local” traveling - to Yosemite - our favorite place on the planet. We hope to go there in fall - once the kids are back in school - because otherwise the place is overrun.

Personally - the thing that bothers me the most about travel is not keeping my distance from others - which I know how to do - and YES, I WEAR A MASK.... but the cleanliness of bathroom and hotel facilities.

I just don’t trust them. Even here locally - we make certain we don’t need a bathroom out grocery shopping. We do not trust people to keep facilities clean.

I’d rather poop in the woods where the bears are than go into a retail bathroom.

Old 05-24-2020, 03:09 PM

813 posts, read 402,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
We had only tentative plans to go to Austria/Italy in the fall to visit where my father-in-law grew up. I’m OK with postponing that.

But 18 months ago we moved from Utah back to California. Husband grew up in LA - and I was in both Northern and Southern Californian from 1976-1990. We both missed it and wanted to do some “local” traveling - to Yosemite - our favorite place on the planet. We hope to go there in fall - once the kids are back in school - because otherwise the place is overrun.

Personally - the thing that bothers me the most about travel is not keeping my distance from others - which I know how to do - and YES, I WEAR A MASK.... but the cleanliness of bathroom and hotel facilities.

I just don’t trust them. Even here locally - we make certain we don’t need a bathroom out grocery shopping. We do not trust people to keep facilities clean.

I’d rather poop in the woods where the bears are than go into a retail bathroom.
With all the beaches opening for Memorial Day weekend, I wonder if people hold it until they get back home or are there porta potties available? Toilets seem like the perfect places to pickup the virus.

The tiny lavatory on a plane seems just as bad.

Last edited by Rastafellow; 05-24-2020 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 05-24-2020, 03:27 PM

7,705 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post

We are Yosemite lovers, also. While we had made no specific plans, Yosemite would be at the top of the list.

Like you, I've been giving some thought to the bathroom situation and how to handle it when cleanliness is even more important than before, and I am concerned about the availability of clean public bathrooms, not just retail, but anyplace where people visit them without the restroom being cleaned in between customers/patients. Also, because there are some foreign-born women who either "hover" over the toilet and leave droplets on the seat, or worse STAND on the damned seat (proven by shoe prints), well, I'm just not looking forward to the possibility that could happen. I think, going forward, in larger bathrooms there should be a stall set aside with one squat toilet for those who prefer them. I don't, but if that's what "some people" are going to do, regardless, let's provide for them.

Single stall bathrooms that lock for one person are not as problematic, as the sink/hot water/soap/towels are right there next to the toilet, and it's possible to clean the seat if necessary. Hospitals and healthcare facilities have those most often.

But yeah, we aren't camels. We need pit stops.

Old 05-24-2020, 05:19 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
We are Yosemite lovers, also. While we had made no specific plans, Yosemite would be at the top of the list.

Like you, I've been giving some thought to the bathroom situation and how to handle it when cleanliness is even more important than before, and I am concerned about the availability of clean public bathrooms, not just retail, but anyplace where people visit them without the restroom being cleaned in between customers/patients. Also, because there are some foreign-born women who either "hover" over the toilet and leave droplets on the seat, or worse STAND on the damned seat (proven by shoe prints), well, I'm just not looking forward to the possibility that could happen. I think, going forward, in larger bathrooms there should be a stall set aside with one squat toilet for those who prefer them. I don't, but if that's what "some people" are going to do, regardless, let's provide for them.

Single stall bathrooms that lock for one person are not as problematic, as the sink/hot water/soap/towels are right there next to the toilet, and it's possible to clean the seat if necessary. Hospitals and healthcare facilities have those most often.

But yeah, we aren't camels. We need pit stops.
Too bad the state run pit stops on Interstates are so often closed. We've had to start ducking into large grocery stores when traveling. They're usually cleaner than the fuel stations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement