Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 10:50 AM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times

Advertisements

Thinking about moving to a condo, in the Fort Myers, Naples area. I know the newer condo`s are better then of years ago. I am still worried about the noise level, from having someone living over, of on the side of you. Would like to hear from those who retired, to a condo, in Fla. Are you happy in your condo? Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 11:06 AM

2,271 posts, read 1,666,238 times
Be sure that you check how often the condos in your complex can be rented - overnight, a few days, 2 weeks, a month, 2-3 months, etc.

We have at least 3 sets of friends who have sold condos in that area (after planning to retire there) as during the winter many condos were always rented out with a contant stream of vacationers moving in and out. Of course, some are more considerate than others of the HOA rules concerning the property, pool, tennis courts and so on. Some never read the rules and don’t care.

We have rented in several condo complexes in that area so I would just say be aware.

Old 06-01-2020, 11:11 AM

2,494 posts, read 3,245,156 times
If you live in a single-family house now, the change will be drastic. Doors slamming, toilets flushing, cars revving up.

If that stuff doesnt bug you, then you'll be fine.

Old 06-01-2020, 12:12 PM

586 posts, read 314,030 times
My friend of many years has a condo in Fort Myers. I visited once briefly. The floors/ceilings are poured concrete and I heard very little noise. You might wish to investigate the construction of the building you are considering.

Old 06-01-2020, 12:27 PM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
Be sure that you check how often the condos in your complex can be rented - overnight, a few days, 2 weeks, a month, 2-3 months, etc.

We have at least 3 sets of friends who have sold condos in that area (after planning to retire there) as during the winter many condos were always rented out with a contant stream of vacationers moving in and out. Of course, some are more considerate than others of the HOA rules concerning the property, pool, tennis courts and so on. Some never read the rules and don’t care.

We have rented in several condo complexes in that area so I would just say be aware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongobongo View Post
My friend of many years has a condo in Fort Myers. I visited once briefly. The floors/ceilings are poured concrete and I heard very little noise. You might wish to investigate the construction of the building you are considering.
We have rented a condo on Lovers Key which allows short term rentals. Many of the owners are full time, but there are lots of vacationers as well.

That said, this particular condo is pretty soundproof. I could live there happily if I was so inclined without worrying about noises from other owners/guests. Also, the guests are pretty well behaved overall and I felt like I was staying at a residence more so than a resort.

You might try to see if there are condos available for short term rent via VRBO or Airbnb in the complex you're looking at. If there are, then maybe go rent one for a week to see what it's like. Each condo is going to be different. There's no one answer that fits your question.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:10 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
I've lived in condos in south FL and now in central FL. I have never had a noise issue, not once, except for the occasional passing emergency siren. I think Florida condos are mostly concrete structures with good insulation. Rental apartment buildings are another thing entirely.

I've lived in my current condo for almost five years, and I love it. We have a very good board of directors, the financial position of the association is sound, and the onsite full-time property manager is very competent, professional, and caring.

OP, before you decide to buy a condo, do your due diligence about the property, its financial position, and its history. Google the heck out of it. Read the condo rules and be sure you're willing and able to abide by all of them. If possible, meet with the property manager and ask lots of questions.

I have to admit I didn't follow my own advice. I bought my condo solely because of its location -- walking distance to my family. I was very lucky to find this great, well managed place.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
We know people that are happy in their condos, with newer construction having good sound insulation. The problem is that most of them around here are at least two, sometimes 3 levels. Not ideal for a retirement home when the hips/knees/legs start to give out. Hopefully since Florida is popular with retirees,
they offer single level condos?

Old 06-01-2020, 01:21 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongobongo View Post
Mongo makes a very important point here, and it applies almost anywhere you would consider living in a multi-unit dwelling (townhouse, apartment, condo).

Condo (or apartment) to me means there could be someone living above or below your unit, not just side by side neighbors. You could have two or three adjoining side neighbors in a condo.

Townhouse to me implies your dwelling has no other living unit above or below, but likely an adjoining unit on one or both sides.

My apartment in Tucson is a two story, wood frame construction from the mid-1990s. Some wall insulation, double insulated windows and sliding door, and some insulation in the ceiling. I am in the downstairs unit, and I have upstairs neighbors. I hear noise occasionally during the day when they walk around or their dog is running around. I hear some plumbing noise, running water or flushing. Luckily their sleep hours are similar to mine (9 pm to 5 am) so there is rarely noise at night. I am very lucky that my apartment here is relatively quiet. I have lived in many other apartments in the US that were much noisier, all wood frame construction.

I have another apartment near Leipzig, Germany that I normally stay at May to October. Could not travel this Spring due to coronavirus, and I will probably wait until September. I'll move out of my apartment in Tucson and stay in Germany year round for a couple of years (I have a residence permit). The thing I like about the apartment there is the building is 4 story poured concrete, including walls, floors and ceilings, built during the communist era in the 1960s. It is better than most commie block prefab apartments built in the 1970s & 80s. It was renovated a dozen years ago with outer insulation and new hot water wall panel heating system (fantastic and silent). In my second floor end unit, I have upstairs and downstairs neighbors, and one side neighbor. The windows in kitchen, bath, bedroom and living face east over a green central courtyard with some trees. I hear nothing from the neighbors most of the time, it is bliss. I am also about 50 meters from the quiet side street, so I hear no cars going by or cars starting up. There is a main street about 200 meters east, but several other apartment buildings in between serve as noise blockers. My rent is about $500 per month, so hard to find a lower COL in a nice place.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:26 PM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We know people that are happy in their condos, with newer construction having good sound insulation. The problem is that most of them around here are at least two, sometimes 3 levels. Not ideal for a retirement home when the hips/knees/legs start to give out. Hopefully since Florida is popular with retirees,
Yes, we have thought of that! First floor, or elevator. Friends have one of those rail chairs, that take you up the stairs.

Old 06-01-2020, 02:01 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
My condo is on the second floor of a seven-story building. We have elevators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement