Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 01:50 PM

16,551 posts, read 8,589,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
My husband is 61 and has type 2 diabetes but otherwise in good health. He doesn’t have much testosterone since he had radiation for prostrate cancer. He is sharp in many ways but is usually easy going. In the past year he is having angry outbursts over things that are no big deal. He is also getting road rage while driving and is solving a home repair problem in a weird unnecessary way. When I have tried to talk to him about it he is acting irrational. Still sharp playing chess, etc. Anyone else have a similar experience?
Some, and I emphasize some people (more commonly men), can get enraged or confrontational to subconsciously get an adrenaline rush. Also, just like women can get "hormonal", men can have metabolic imbalances that need treatment.
If your family has a good Internal Medicine as your primary MD, they may very well be able to diagnose and treat it.
Otherwise you could likely be referred to an Endocrinologist for more specialized treatment. Of course it could be something all together different, whether it being stir crazy from COVID and/or phycological.

Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2020, 02:03 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
My husband is not his usual calm self as he ages either, this is why I drive my car when I go with him. I drive so relaxing and I put on anti-road rage music when I’m on. I don’t care if somebody tries to cut me off, I don’t see it, he does. This is why I’m a bit reluctant in getting a brand new sport car for him. He used to be an excellent driver in UK, not sure he factors that in as he ages, he still thinks he’s in his early 30s.
If my husband had a brother, maybe your husband would be it. In the UK I just let him drive and he drives safely. He used to do rallies when he was younger, it was his life. He's a car guy.

But here he follows other cars too closely and then doesn't pay attention. He yells if I hang onto the dashboard or tell him to keep a distance so I am a wreck when he drives. He gets mad at other drivers and calls them a "prat", whatever that is, and he is just a total grouch in the car. He's also grouchy at home instead of being a comedian. No new meds so it must just be the process of aging. (We just got a new dog who had been abused by a man who yelled. So the dog is afraid of men--I'm using this as a way to get him to stop yelling because he wants the dog to like him.)

Old 09-29-2020, 03:00 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,938,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Auggest that he try some CBD oil. It will calm him.
Which is really dangerous advice if he's on certain medications, like blood thinners.

Old 09-29-2020, 03:14 PM

6,357 posts, read 4,175,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Also has he been watching more "news" channels & listening to political talk radio? Perhaps the combination of aging, less socializing & getting out during the pandemic & hearing constant negative messaging from particular tv/radio sources is wearing his good nature down. I have noticed in myself an increase in general anxiety this year & that can lead to me being impatient & angry. Prescription drug side effects is also a potential cause.
All that’s going on politically and with the un-peaceful protesting (destruction) that’s happening in many cities, it’s almost impossible not to be concerned and it’s definitely a source of anxiety for most people.

Old 09-29-2020, 03:33 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,564,252 times
My husband is in his late 50's, and I just found out he actually doesn't like football! For years, he's sat and watched the games and talked about the games! Football has bogarted my television shows. My son and I were so stunned to hear this. I find this weird!

Old 09-29-2020, 03:54 PM

13,062 posts, read 7,497,585 times
^
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPJHiteb43Y

Old 09-29-2020, 04:28 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times
Nobody complaining her husband is chasing women now that they greatly outnumber the men of their age?

Old 09-29-2020, 07:02 PM

794 posts, read 1,860,102 times
He is most likely in persistent or recurring pain which he is not sharing with you or anyone else. Although the prostate doesn't cause pain, the radiation does cause some lasting bladder issues. He could be dealing with arthritis, knee pain, back pain, hip pain, shoulder pain, etc.

Does he mellow out when he takes an anti-inflammatory medicine?

Old 09-29-2020, 07:36 PM

7,074 posts, read 4,514,055 times
He doesn’t have pain but has side effects from the radiation. I appreciate all the advice.

Old 09-29-2020, 09:09 PM

19,802 posts, read 9,341,315 times
Thanks for all the corroborating stories about previously mellow husbands turning into quick-tempered, grouchy, grumpy old men.

Nice to know I have company, at least.

If anyone has any suggestions about how to deal with that, please post!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement