Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 01:00 PM

3,462 posts, read 3,158,058 times

Advertisements

If it was brachytherapy radiation, that alone would not affect testosterone levels. But at 60 there is a greater than 50% chance his T levels have dropped such that he no longer feels like he used to "feel." It's an under-addressed thing with a ton of misinformation circulating. Of course, he is not a candidate for T-replacement therapy because of the cancer. Many men have "hung up their boots" by 60. It's quite normal. On the other hand, my neighbor is 84 and had brachytherapy 20 years ago for prostrate cancer and is still horny as ever.

Many white males his age are highly irritated these days for reasons that should be obvious. The road rage thing is kind of classic. Cars can be a useful means of expressing yourself. Heck, I've even done it.

At 60 and beyond early dementia is always a possibility. Check out his short term memory and his memory of words that were used lately and a few years back. "Searching" for those terms is a very early sign of dementia. Easy to test - you can do it yourself - just incorporate it into your conversation.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 10-01-2020 at 01:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2020, 01:36 PM

4,521 posts, read 3,709,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
If it was brachytherapy radiation, that alone would not affect testosterone levels. But at 60 there is a greater than 50% chance his T levels have dropped such that he no longer feels like he used to "feel." It's an under-addressed thing with a ton of misinformation circulating. Of course, he is not a candidate for T-replacement therapy because of the cancer. Many men have "hung up their boots" by 60. It's quite normal. On the other hand, my neighbor is 84 and had brachytherapy 20 years ago for prostrate cancer and is still horny as ever.

Many white males his age are highly irritated these days for reasons that should be obvious. The road rage thing is kind of classic. Cars can be a useful means of expressing yourself. Heck, I've even done it.

At 60 and beyond early dementia is always a possibility. Check out his short term memory and his memory of words that were used lately and a few years back. "Searching" for those terms is a very early sign of dementia. Easy to test - you can do it yourself - just incorporate it into your conversation.
Cars are not a way of expressing anything, unless you enjoy the risk of an early demise from an accident or another person with a reason to be highly irritated with a gun in their car. Road rage is not classic or normal, it’s allowing yourself to behave unhinged while behind the wheel.

Old 10-01-2020, 01:50 PM

15,956 posts, read 10,521,653 times
There seems to be a lot of agitation and frustration over politics and the pandemic so it might take only the slightest thing to set people off. My social group of 60s-70s year-old guys are getting into it more now than in the past. One almost got physically into it over mask wearing (he was for it). We are "regulars" at a brewpub and have been only socializing there one night a week. Some guy came in and thought it was OK to abuse the bartender and waitress over masks. It ended peacefully. There are fewer outlets or opportunities for venting frustration due to the pandemic and increased aggravations. Political seasons are always more volatile.

Old 10-01-2020, 02:26 PM

4,086 posts, read 2,389,070 times
I have an acquaintance who is a geriatric pharmacist. Apparently its a new specialty, he can't keep up with the consulting demand. Drugs affect us differently as we age. I know I cannot take any antihistamine or any of the drugs they give for peripheral neuropathy, they make me evil. My neighbor called me the other day and went on a strange rant about the county. I asked him if he was taking a new medication, he was not himself at all. Turned out his doctor give him Gabapentin for his nerve pain.

Old 10-01-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Cars are not a way of expressing anything, unless you enjoy the risk of an early demise from an accident or another person with a reason to be highly irritated with a gun in their car. Road rage is not classic or normal, it’s allowing yourself to behave unhinged while behind the wheel.

Oh, Jean. My mom died 25 years ago, my dad 20 years ago. One set of parents was enuff! (and, no, I don't do it unless it really deserves it - very very rare).

Old 10-01-2020, 02:53 PM

15,630 posts, read 26,107,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
His cancer treatment was 8 years ago. The only drug he is on is metformin for his diabetes. He had blood work and saw the doctor 6 months ago. He will never admit there’s a problem. He is not happy about the low testosterone because it negatively affects many areas. He is not allowed to take anything to raise it.
My late husband was similar to that, in that when he went to the doctor he was “on“. So they wouldn’t detect that he was depressed. Since we went to the same doctor, and I was very concerned about it, I actually called the doctors office and spoke with the nurse and told her what I thought, and that he wouldn’t share this and it would probably have to be dragged out of him. She put that in his chart in the next time they dragged it out of him.

I know it sounds underhanded, maybe it was, but if he won’t ask for help, won’t admit there’s a problem, the doctor isn’t going to know and nothing’s going to move forward. Somebody has to take a hammer to the dam and break it.

Old 10-01-2020, 03:18 PM

4,521 posts, read 3,709,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Oh, Jean. My mom died 25 years ago, my dad 20 years ago. One set of parents was enuff! (and, no, I don't do it unless it really deserves it - very very rare).
Sorry for being a Mom you don’t need. If you were in riding my passenger seat and I hit the brakes hard, I would automatically put an arm out to keep you in your seat. Habits are hard to break.

On the bright side, if you carry on with those rare instances of road rage, you probably won’t need to worry about landing up in a nursing home

Old 10-01-2020, 03:26 PM

6,615 posts, read 6,485,313 times
Is he on statins? Sometimes they can alter moods.

Old 10-01-2020, 04:14 PM

6,830 posts, read 4,317,319 times
No medications except for metformin. He won’t take medication for depression. He did once 20 years ago and quit after a few months. He has been low on T since 49. Have tried every medical intervention except a penile implant. He doesn’t follow politics and generally has no clue what’s going on. I had a smart friend with early dementia and it took a long time before anyone figured it out even her husband.

Old 10-01-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Sorry for being a Mom you don’t need. If you were in riding my passenger seat and I hit the brakes hard, I would automatically put an arm out to keep you in your seat. Habits are hard to break.

On the bright side, if you carry on with those rare instances of road rage, you probably won’t need to worry about landing up in a nursing home

I am not in any way habitual or reckless about teaching people how to drive. And, as for nursing homes, I have a Hemlock Club box. No nursing home for me. No thanx. If someone blows out more birthday candles then I ever will - I don't really care. Quality, not quantity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement