Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 07:00 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,397,310 times

Advertisements

Husband has 8 working days remaining. We loaded up our enclosed trailer full, weighed it, unloaded it and reloaded it. It was 3000 pounds heavy on the tongue, not good. Now we are sending his 2000# loaded tool box commerically

By the time we get down there with all of our stuff after down sizing greatly it will cost us right around $30,000 dollars so I guess you can say it's $10.00 per mile.

We've spent a great deal of time selling off our washer/dryer and some large shop equipment and will be taking the money to replace once we get down there. We sold our riding lawn mower knowing that it would be about 2 years before we had a lawn to use it on. Even with all that downsizing we still are too heavy for a 10,000# trailer, go figure.

But we are still excited just a bump in the road all will be good.

Putting the final touches of our new home loan down in Nevada apparently they didn't bother to listen to me when I expressed to them that my husband will be retiring with his retirement and myself quiting my career to join him they're not understanding why our income will go from $120,000 annually down to $50,000, do they ever listen? anyways these last couple of days have been very stressful, I know once the trailer is done and we have it loaded and ready to ship all should calm down, do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 09:04 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,228,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
By the time we get down there with all of our stuff after down sizing greatly it will cost us right around $30,000 dollars so I guess you can say it's $10.00 per mile.
With that kind of money going into moving, it makes me think long and hard about what is really worth keeping as opposed to getting rid of it and getting replacements on the other end. $30k would buy whole lot of stuff.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:42 AM

Oh beleive me we've been doing that for more than a year and we have a great deal of other items that are being left behind, my husband is a high performance mechanic with tools galore and specialty items. We have a 67 camaro a 90 vette and 57 t-bird along with others, one would say we are filthy rich in rolling stock. But I agree with alot of items could be replaced but not the heavy stuff like his tools.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:09 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,111,006 times
It will calm down,but the first couple of months is a transition period,for me It was alot of running around and paper work,But believe me you will not miss It.
I purchased my home In PA while I was still working because I knew It be a problem when I retired.You guys are going to be just fine,just a period of adjustment. I have a sister who live in nevada,I believe henderson area.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:48 PM

Awe, thanks I appreciate the positive feed back, normally I'm a very positive person this is stressing me out some. I know we will be just fine over time, we've gone through a lot in our 35 years together.

At least we got an ok equity out of our house and we will be able to pay for the move and have a bit left over but not as much as I had hope, tis life.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:58 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,228,325 times
They say retirement is one of the big stresses in life and so is moving. Good changes can still deliver a lot of stress, and you are getting two of the biggest ones at once. So know it and take care of yourselves accordingly. It is good that a lot of things are falling in place for you.

I'm glad when I retire, I will have about a year before I will move.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:39 PM

This was a big weekend for us, we moved out of our home of 16 years of collection, got a great deal in the inclosed trailer, gave items to my son, daughter, friends and new owners. Moved in with my MIL to a very small bedroom but all is good, husband leaves in 15 days for Lovelock and I will leave at the end of July. His mom is excited that we are spending the last days with her, we are hoping once the house gets up she can come down for some time at least a weekend if we can't find dialysis for her.

Kind of exciting stress, the attitude cat is doing very well - now if we can get him out from under our blankets all will be wonderful.

It's been 35 years in the same city, amazing how much stuff I had to cancel this morning, not sure I have them all canceled though I guess if additional bills come in I'll know I didn't catch them all.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:35 AM

2,317 posts, read 5,111,006 times
You guy's are getting close,where exactly are you moving to,and what made you decide to move?

Old 05-20-2008, 01:05 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,834,010 times
You're almost there now!!!!!!!!

Old 05-20-2008, 01:12 PM

My husband and I like the high desert and need space for our stuff even thou we have less stuff it will build up again I'm sure.

We are moving to Lovelock Nevada for the winter months, we know that Lovelock has winters but the road heads south from there.

We bought 5 acres in an old subdivision with very few home, most of the places are 80 acres or more, with cows roaming about. Our area doesn't have any codes are restrictions so I will have to work on restricting the husband I refuse to live in a junk yard.

Our property is 7 hours from my family and about 8 hours from the husbands family although a 6 hour flight from my kids. So nobody will show up unannonced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement