Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 09:26 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times

Advertisements

Kind of a discouraging realization. I know I'm not outgoing, charming, charismatic. I am in reasonably good shape and looks for my age. But finding love seems near impossible now. Especially since I don't really put out the effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2021, 10:01 PM

21,541 posts, read 8,724,324 times
You don't necessarily have to be single to be past retirement age and celibate for the rest of your life. Just sayin'.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
...Especially since I don't really put out the effort.
You are on the right track, You seldom find the right one when you are looking, especially when you are busy HUNTING. (Trophy spouse can be a nightmare, and run you broke very fast!... ask my FIL or thousands of others).

There was just an article this week about a real estate guy who married a fashion model (in Japan, IIRC). Millions gone in a few months... All spent!

Happens (both sides)

FIL had never had a new car in 70 yrs, then within a couple months of the Gold-digger arriving, had a new Cadillac and a posh MH (Which they never used). 20+ yrs later he is still struggling with the gold-digger (Till death do us part). All the money is GONE and she refuses to spend a cent of HER SS or savings $. "He married me, He's my caregiver, and That's That!"

Really sad when she got rid of all the interior treasures and pics of the kids, then made him sell the very custom and beautiful home he had spent 20 yrs building for DW #1. The new partner cut off all communication to FIL from his (4) daughters. Had them stricken from the will (minor finance detail, with significant emotional damage)

Fortunately there are good stories from others (many), so... just don't go looking or wishing. Let the relationships come naturally (Very tough during Covid).

Dear friends in PA were each single widow(er) for over 20 yrs, then realized they were less than 10 miles apart and previous college crushes. @ age 90+, they are very happy and delightful together.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:30 PM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Most people at that age look for a companionship OR caretaker.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:36 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Quote:
Kind of a discouraging realization. I know I'm not outgoing, charming, charismatic. I am in reasonably good shape and looks for my age. But finding love seems near impossible now. Especially since I don't really put out the effort.
I'm now 71 so I doubt very much it'll be happening again in my lifetime. Maybe perhaps if I wanted to take up with one of the married guys around my 55+ community who hit on me occasionally. I'm not that desperate. Or definitely if I'd hop onto Ourtime or Match -- most men on there are looking for lust. I have girlfriends older than I who've gotten back in the saddle with guys they met on-line. But the guys my age just don't wet my whistle, if you know what I'm saying. And I'm sure they probably feel the same about women my age.

Haven't been in a relationship since 2007. Would I like it to happen again? Sure. If some younger 50ish man would be willing and would keep the lights out. But since I'm not putting any effort into it either, the odds of that happening are about a billion to one. So I guess 7/7/07 will forever be marked on my calendar as the day the music died.

Old 02-03-2021, 04:55 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
Quote:
Don't buy. Rent.

Old 02-03-2021, 07:21 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Of course right now, any sort of dating is out until most of us are vaccinated.

After that, you can't meet new people and find someone interesting to you if you don't get out and about, and put yourself in settings where there are likely prospects. If you don't, it's sort of like trying to go duck hunting in your own backyard. So if you put no effort into introducing yourself to new people and being conversational, and a bit interesting TO THEM, then what do you expect? I live in a mostly senior community, and it's mostly couples, so basically a terrible place to find love. Still, some of my acquaintances who have HUGE negatives looks-wise, but are very outgoing and active in the community, have found love late in life. It's always important to recognize the fact that internal beauty is most important, anyway, especially at this stage in life. It's worth the effort to go outside your comfort zone to put yourself out there. You don't have to be charming or charismatic, but you do at least have to speak to people and be pleasant.

Aside from that, not everyone will be coupled, and there are so many things to do in retirement that finding other outlets for your mind and body can take precedence. You can work on your health and fitness, learn new things in continuing education, spend time volunteering, become activity in your church's ministry, etc. And when you do those things, sometimes you end up meeting people who end up becoming close with you.

When it's time to go out and be with folks again, I would also let it be known to your friends and family that you are open to meeting people, or being fixed up. Lots of people know somebody nice, but don't put 2 and 2 together until you mention it.

Last edited by TheShadow; 02-03-2021 at 07:31 AM..

Old 02-03-2021, 07:46 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Don't buy. Rent.
Ding ding ding...the correct answer!

Old 02-03-2021, 12:09 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
So.... When you were 21 were you celibate if you were not in love? Me either.

Keep in mind after 50 women out number men 2,3,4 times more. Odds are stacked in our favor and they need good loving also. (at least some).

Join an over 55 community, get a golf cart, hang out at the Rec Center and you'll never have to cook another meal again. Just keep well stocked on the wine.

Old 02-03-2021, 12:29 PM

5,987 posts, read 3,727,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
So.... When you were 21 were you celibate if you were not in love? Me either.

Keep in mind after 50 women out number men 2,3,4 times more. Odds are stacked in our favor and they need good loving also. (at least some).

Join an over 55 community, get a golf cart, hang out at the Rec Center and you'll never have to cook another meal again. Just keep well stocked on the wine.

If a guy lives in a 55+ community and he is doing without and eating his own cooking, it's because he chooses to live that way. Most of those communities have an unwritten rule that widows won't hit on new widowers until at least the funeral is over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement