Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 10:29 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWA View Post
I was going to reply to the query about immunity after vaccination but found this item from the Mayo clinic which covers it well. Basically you can be a carrier whilst not sick, you may be unlucky and be in the 4-5% who dont get immunity from the vaccine or you may contract a different variant not treated by the vaccine. Summary, we all still need to be carefull till it is fully under control.

Mayo Clinic
After getting a COVID-19 vaccine, it's still important to take safety precautions, such as avoiding close contact with others, to prevent the spread of the virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Further research is needed to understand the immunity that a COVID-19 vaccine provides and how long protection lasts before experts will consider changing current safety recommendations.

After you get both doses of a COVID-19 vaccine, it takes about two weeks for your body to build up protection. But even then you could become infected with the virus that causes COVID-19. Keep in mind that the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is 95% effective in preventing the COVID-19 virus. The Moderna COVID-19 vaccine is 94.1% effective in preventing the COVID-19 virus. While your risk of getting the COVID-19 virus after being vaccinated is low, it is possible.

It's also not clear if the COVID-19 vaccines reduce the spread of the COVID-19 virus. As a result, it's not known if a person who is vaccinated could be a carrier of the COVID-19 virus and spread it to others, even if he or she doesn't become sick. More research is needed to determine if you are still contagious after being vaccinated.
So does that mean the person is carrying the virus on their bodies, but don’t get sick and that’s how they transmit it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 11:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
So does that mean the person is carrying the virus on their bodies, but don’t get sick and that’s how they transmit it?
You know what - sorry but at some point I just have to live my life.

I mean, if I'm not sick, have no known exposure to the virus, etc. I am just going to live life within the parameters of the law and local regulations.

It's like a no win situation otherwise. "Get the vaccine. No, you shouldn't get tested if you don't have symptoms. But keep living as if you are sick with COVID 19."

Old 03-03-2021, 07:17 PM

352 posts, read 262,814 times
I will probably never have my dream house in my dream neighborhood. At nearing retirement age do I want a $200,000 mortgage or a $100,000 mortgage when we sell and move? We would rather have the extra money each money for traveling or other things. I know I am fortunate to have what I do. But, I always just wanted that dream home. The only way I would get it is to move to a lower cost of living area and I want to stay near our children, family and friends. So, not going to happen.

Old 03-03-2021, 07:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
That's been the case since day 1 with Covid... Asymptomatic Super Spreaders.

Was very interesting to follow the details of the Covid police in other countries, such as the gal in Singapore who got a call at 3AM from Covid detective. "You were in Taxi x for 6 minutes today, you are under immediate quarantine, stay put, we are on our way with contractual documentation for your isolation."

And the Brit who had been to a business meeting in Asia, flew home, then spent a weekend at ski Chalet in Switzerland, infecting 47 people from several countries before he had any symptoms.

Of course, one yr later... the USA is still unable to trace contacts.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:05 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,668,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
You skipped the vegetables and went straight to dessert!
Haha! So true.

My kids are still kids, but I can already sense the magic of having grands (biological or not).

Old 03-05-2021, 06:37 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
OK so according to the CDC, the flu can be spread to others for one day before symptoms appear. COVID 19 can be spread two days before symptoms appear. Both the flu and COVID 19 can be asymptomatic or have mild symptoms that many people would either ignore or "power through." Either one can kill someone. COVID 19 seems more contagious but the flu is pretty darn contagious too.

Old 03-07-2021, 05:32 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Moving back to San Francisco. I didn’t buy because I didn’t know how much I would be making in retirement. Now that I know I could have afforded it, the price has quadrupled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement