Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 11:19 AM

18,670 posts, read 33,286,569 times

Advertisements

I have a four-legged walker from CVS that I got for a seriously infected dog bite in my leg. Last summer, I crunched up at the computer way too long, inflamed my sciatic nerve and had to use the walker just in the house, not to mention anywhere else. Add to that a mask and new hearing aids, and I felt, if not OLD, then very unappealing to myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2021, 11:30 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,919,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
If some of you plan to replace every tooth you lose, better have a fortune socked away; each one will be THOUSANDS of dollars, and I'm not sure it's covered by insurance. I've had two molars extracted and manage just fine without them. Not freaked out by it. Yet.

Honestly, it's a travesty that dental health care isn't considered part of overall health care and covered by health insurance (excepting cosmetic procedures, just like with the body). It's certainly vital to one's overall health to be able to chew and eat food properly and also not leave pain, infections, and abcesses that can lead to sepsis or heart disease untreated.
An article about why dental insurance coverage is so crappy:

https://www.nbcnews.com/better/healt...nce-ncna813666

Old 02-27-2021, 11:36 AM

12,053 posts, read 10,224,090 times
I do have dental insurance and I can also use the VA dental clinic. I was diagnosed with a dental issue when i was active duty, so they will continue covering that. I can also go to one of the local dentists around here that get reimbursed by the VA.

Old 02-27-2021, 11:39 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,919,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
How is everyone handling dental bills? I have not been to the dentist, since the pandemic started. Newly retired. Is there good affordable Ins. out there, or are we on our own. Sorry, if this is off topic.
I have Aetna Dental Access, $133 per year -- it's not insurance, it's a savings plan. It provides 15% to 50% discounts on dental procedures but you have to go to a dentist who participates in the plan. You can find dentists near you who take the plan, and compare their rates. It's better than nothing.

Quote:
Your Aetna Dental Access plan provides you with discounts of 15% to 50%* on dental procedures - everything from general dentistry and cleanings to root canals, crowns and orthodontia - at over 161,000 dental practice locations nationwide.

Old 02-27-2021, 12:11 PM

14,889 posts, read 12,049,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
How is everyone handling dental bills? I have not been to the dentist, since the pandemic started. Newly retired. Is there good affordable Ins. out there, or are we on our own. Sorry, if this is off topic.
Just from what I've seen in looking online to see what's available dental insurance-wise for retirees, there are plans out there, but it looks like most are limited in their coverage, and have yearly or lifetime limits that wouldn't go very far in covering dental expenses beyond preventative services. Some look as though they exclude coverage ( or have extended waiting periods for what they do cover), for things such as implants, bridges, and other restorative work. The other issue could be finding a dentist that would take this coverage, though you could submit the expenses yourself and be reimbursed by the insurance company, I suppose.

That was my impression, though it's been a couple years since I looked to see what was there. Might be worth your effort to see what's out there at this point.

Some retirees have dental insurance available to them as part of the retirement benefits from their employers. My husband is a federal retiree and we have a number of dental plans ( same ones offered to current employees), which vary in price and coverage. Whether this is worth the cost or not depends on your dental needs. We elected not to take that coverage as we've been pretty lucky so far and have not needed extensive dental work. We pay out of pocket for our dental work, and even though that has involved expenses totaling maybe $4000-$5000 over the last 8 yrs or so it comes out less than the premiums for the policies that would cover most of that work.

If you have dental insurance available from an employer that provides you retirement benefits that is another option to check out.

If you are paying out of pocket, it's helpful to find dentists who will either offer payment plans, or who participate in programs that allow payment of expensive dental work over time ( can't think of the name of the program that's out there- ? CareCredit?
Or some ( like our dentist) who will offer a 5% or so discount for payment of multi-appointment services up front. They're out there.

As for dental work during covid, our dentist cancelled or post-poned all except emergency appointments for about 3-4 months last year. They opened again last summer, with patients having to wait in their vehicles to be called into the office for their appointments. This, besides the request for patients to wear masks is still in effect to date, except they have some sort of provisions so that people sometimes can wait in the waiting room.

Old 02-27-2021, 01:09 PM

5,433 posts, read 4,006,922 times
I consider it money well spent if I can keep my own teeth all my life. I have been getting one crown every year or so, about $1600 each with a cash discount.
I'd rather have functional teeth than a fancy sports car. Boring I know.

Old 02-27-2021, 01:14 PM

18,670 posts, read 33,286,569 times
With my dental insurance, a crown is about $600 (one a year, I think). I have clenched teeth and ground them for many years, not related to age but to working night shifts I think.

Old 02-27-2021, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Just from what I've seen in looking online to see what's available dental insurance-wise for retirees, there are plans out there, but it looks like most are limited in their coverage, and have yearly or lifetime limits that wouldn't go very far in covering dental expenses beyond preventative services. Some look as though they exclude coverage ( or have extended waiting periods for what they do cover), for things such as implants, bridges, and other restorative work. The other issue could be finding a dentist that would take this coverage, though you could submit the expenses yourself and be reimbursed by the insurance company, I suppose.

That was my impression, though it's been a couple years since I looked to see what was there. Might be worth your effort to see what's out there at this point.

Some retirees have dental insurance available to them as part of the retirement benefits from their employers. My husband is a federal retiree and we have a number of dental plans ( same ones offered to current employees), which vary in price and coverage. Whether this is worth the cost or not depends on your dental needs. We elected not to take that coverage as we've been pretty lucky so far and have not needed extensive dental work. We pay out of pocket for our dental work, and even though that has involved expenses totaling maybe $4000-$5000 over the last 8 yrs or so it comes out less than the premiums for the policies that would cover most of that work.

If you have dental insurance available from an employer that provides you retirement benefits that is another option to check out.

If you are paying out of pocket, it's helpful to find dentists who will either offer payment plans, or who participate in programs that allow payment of expensive dental work over time ( can't think of the name of the program that's out there- ? CareCredit?
Or some ( like our dentist) who will offer a 5% or so discount for payment of multi-appointment services up front. They're out there.

As for dental work during covid, our dentist cancelled or post-poned all except emergency appointments for about 3-4 months last year. They opened again last summer, with patients having to wait in their vehicles to be called into the office for their appointments. This, besides the request for patients to wear masks is still in effect to date, except they have some sort of provisions so that people sometimes can wait in the waiting room.
yes it is Care Credit. I have that for my dogs, but can also be used at dental offices.

Old 02-27-2021, 01:26 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,070,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I'm in my early 60s and basically still felt like a teenager - in my mind anyway -
I feel that way all the time, until I check myself out in a mirror! I know a couple young people who have full dentures.

At least you have taken care of them enough that they are still with you. Once you get a crown on that molar, all will be well with the world again.

Old 02-27-2021, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
I feel that way all the time, until I check myself out in a mirror! I know a couple young people who have full dentures.

At least you have taken care of them enough that they are still with you. Once you get a crown on that molar, all will be well with the world again.
hope so thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement