Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2021, 08:07 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
As for Amazon Prime, you get the video content for free if you are an Amazon member, but you need their app on a phone or tablet or smart tv.
An Amazon 4K FireTV stick is $25 at the Thanksgiving Black Friday sale. You have to side load some of the streaming applications that refuse to participate in the Amazon ecosystem but you can enable any TV for $25.00. At the moment, I have Amazon Prime, Paramount+, and Peacock+. I’ve always had Prime for shipping. The others are to stream Liverpool matches. My fiancée has Netflix. I had a free year of Disney+ from my cell phone. We sometimes subscribe to other things for a month to watch a foreign series. Acorn occasionally for Brit stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 08:40 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Have not owned a TV since 2006. Moved cross country, figured the 20+ year old set wouldn't survive, never replaced it. Have not missed it. Occasionally check out videos from the library and watch them on computer. No cable, no streaming, nada.

Old 03-29-2021, 09:02 AM

4,607 posts, read 3,300,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Have not owned a TV since 2006. Moved cross country, figured the 20+ year old set wouldn't survive, never replaced it. Have not missed it. Occasionally check out videos from the library and watch them on computer. No cable, no streaming, nada.
But you obviously have internet somehow, right? If anyone figures out a way to get decent internet for less than $50/month, I'd like to hear about it. I'd love to ditch the cable (or satellite, or whatever)

Old 03-29-2021, 09:07 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Since most of us are of the age where we grew up with TV sets, I was wondering if everyone still has one. I am considering getting rid of mine. I only have one, a 50 inch in the living room. Stopped watching broadcast or cable TV a number of years ago (was never a big TV watcher...it's kind of amazing how many of the classic shows I haven't seen). I watch 90 minutes a day of Netflix, Hulu, Prime, Acorn, and YouTube. Have a Roku that allows me to do this.

Watching the 90 minutes was the highlight of the evening when my husband was alive. It was a time to come together, have dessert, and watch some stuff we really loved. He died seven months ago. I have been keeping up the tradition of the evening schedule, but the Roku has started to act up. Yesterday after 45 minutes it said it was overheating! And I understand so little about troubleshooting.

I am having a guy from Best Buy come over in a few days to recommend what I might do, like get a tv with a Roku built in. But so much to learn about. I am not sure I get that much from sitting in the living room with the big screen. Not like I am watching sports, action stuff, major events. I watch mostly dramas and comedies and some cultural stuff like ballet and music performances. I was thinking I may be just as happy watching in the sunroom on my iPad or in the office on the desktop with what may be a 16 to 20 inch monitor. And that way I wouldn't have to deal with getting and learning a new tv system.

I know younger people don't watch actual broadcast or cable tv---neither do I. And I wouldn't be happy to just watching a show on a phone, like they do. Does anyone over 40 just watch stuff on a tablet or desktop and not a tv? I know most people watch more tv than I do and may be more into it. I do love my carefully selected shows, but for many reasons, it's only 90 minutes a day. I guess big screens have never mattered to me very much---stopped going to the theaters years ago, even back when there were still movies I wanted to see, to save money, not have people talking, not be bombarded by loudness. But I don't know if this is too much of giving up yet another aspect of my past life and I should try to preserve one of the last activities I used to do while married 43 years...

Any input will be much appreciated...
Yes. Of course. I watch only OTA or streaming services. Never had cable and I am 65. My son grew up without it and he survived just fine. I do sometimes watch things on my tablet, and watch the occasional video on my PC if that is where I happen to be sitting. But if I am going to watch a movie, I want to be in my living room sitting comfortably in front of my 55" set.

Even though I have 2 ROKU sets and they work great, I would suggest you buy a regular set and purchase a ROKU or FIRESTICK device separately.

Old 03-29-2021, 09:23 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
This brings back memories of the RCA color tv in a giant cabinet my dad bought. We were the first in the neighborhood to have color tv, and a technician had to come over to install it and use a magnetic degaussing wand over the screen, adjust the colors. Quite the process. All the neighbors came over to watch Bonanza IN COLOR!

Old 03-29-2021, 09:24 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
But you obviously have internet somehow, right? If anyone figures out a way to get decent internet for less than $50/month, I'd like to hear about it. I'd love to ditch the cable (or satellite, or whatever)
I have high speed internet and landline phone service. You have to be very firm with the phone company to find such packages as they desperately want to sell you cable. But you can do it.

Old 03-29-2021, 10:23 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
I go to a really strict church, a few there don't have a TV as they consider the more sexy commercials and programs a sin.
I live alone and can't imagine not having a TV. I used to turn it on when I got up and not off till I went to bed. But this caused the backlights to burn out, cost as much to fix as a new off brand TV so I only have it on now when I am watching it.
The repair man said these new TV's don't last like the old box kind did.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:26 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,766,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I don't just still have a TV; I still have a cathode ray tube TV that's probably 20 years old. I use a converter box to get cable. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
You're not fooling us. We are all of an age where we know what a CRT is. Now, the younger generations? Probably worth a free drink on a bar bet.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-29-2021, 11:56 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
We have a 65" in the TV room, a 45 inch in the master bedroom, and a 25" in the guest room. We watch the broadcast networks on Hulu, and we have Netflix and Amazon Prime. I like the 55" for watching movies and nature shows, etc. I like the ability to see the detail. The OLEDs or ULEDs I see at the store are amazing! The detail and the vivid colors and super dark blacks are beyond Hi-Definition. Now you can get a 55" or 65" Hi Def at Walmart for $600, with Roku, Youtube, etc built-in. Subscribe to your favorite streaming services and you don't even need the extra devices.

I love being able to watch almost any show or movie that I want. I find the TV series, and some of the movies made by Hulu and Netflix to be far superior to most of what's available on network and cable. I'm never at a loss for what to watch when I am ready to watch TV. And I save money by not having cable.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:58 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yes. Of course. I watch only OTA or streaming services. Never had cable and I am 65. My son grew up without it and he survived just fine. I do sometimes watch things on my tablet, and watch the occasional video on my PC if that is where I happen to be sitting. But if I am going to watch a movie, I want to be in my living room sitting comfortably in front of my 55" set.

Even though I have 2 ROKU sets and they work great, I would suggest you buy a regular set and purchase a ROKU or FIRESTICK device separately.
Question here--why do you suggest a ROKU or FIRESTICK? (Not that I really know what they are, lol.) I have two small tvs that I watch once in a while and one is ten years old and I use a ROKU with it sometimes. Is that the ROKU device you're talking about? Looks like the tv remote but is kind of confusing because you have to first use the tv remote and then switch to the ROKU and use that instead to get to your movies.

The other small tv is a smart tv. If I can ever get it to work, there is only one remote and you supposedly use that to either watch antenna tv or switch to another mode to watch cable channels or things like HULU or VUDU or whatever you subscribe to. Seems easier to just have a tv with one remote that does it all.

I often forget to watch tv for days at a time so it's not big deal to me but I might watch it more except that the ROKU device is such a pain. (Maybe newer ROKUs are better? Mine is 7-8 yrs old, I think.) Just wondering--I don't know much about these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement