Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 05:51 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times

Advertisements

Comcast is so awful, it changed the name of its internet service to Xfinity

"A Google search on “Comcast” lends several high ranked anti-Comcast results, including ComcastSucks.org, a site dedicated to making Comcast a responsible business entity."

I can't blame you. Comcast doesn't give a damn. That's what happens with an absence of competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2021, 05:56 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
I felt this way after losing my husband. Before, I was a bear on the phone to CS (when it was warranted), DH used to pull up a chair and listen when he knew I was going to go off. After, the least little set-back would reduce me to tears. I got over it somehow, including the CS folks who told me to "Have a nice day" after I reported my DH's death. Yeah right.

Now I find it takes a LOT to get me riled up. Want to cut me off in traffic, steal my parking spot, cut in line? Go for it. It's not going to ruin my day. I've been through the worst and your little shenanigans don't even come close. Although I might have lost it had I been in Parnassia's shoes (car).

Old 05-06-2021, 06:06 AM

18,050 posts, read 15,639,191 times
For customer service type issues I try to solve the issue myself, if I can, by finding out things like if there's a service outage in my area, in which case, there's nothing I need to do.

If I do need to contact support, I opt for the chat function online instead of calling. Sometimes I get through faster and don't have to sit on hold. I look for any options available to me that will make the process a bit faster or less onerous.

As for being less tolerant, it's a function of not being in control and no one enjoys that, plus built up anger about other things in life.

Old 05-06-2021, 06:23 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
few people take pride in their work anymore, it's frustrating if you were around when they did.

Old 05-06-2021, 06:33 AM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
few people take pride in their work anymore, it's frustrating if you were around when they did.
^^^ This....from servers at restaurants, to clerks at the supermarket, to counter people at the gas station.....I remember a friendly, competent 'world' and just find it so different these days. People really don't seem to care....or perhaps they were never taught/never learned how to interact in a friendly manner with people.....If you're going to take that type of a job, you could at least be nice to the customers.
It's frustrating for sure.

Old 05-06-2021, 07:03 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
A simple realization. YOU need to realize that YOU are creating all the bad feelings around these minor situations. It will stop when YOU choose a different reaction to everything not going as you want it to go.

Old 05-06-2021, 08:14 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,610,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Comcast is so awful, it changed the name of its internet service to Xfinity

"A Google search on “Comcast” lends several high ranked anti-Comcast results, including ComcastSucks.org, a site dedicated to making Comcast a responsible business entity."

I can't blame you. Comcast doesn't give a damn. That's what happens with an absence of competition.
Internet needs to be considered a basic utility, needs to be adjusted accordingly as to fees. Internet is a necessity in these changed times.

Old 05-06-2021, 08:51 AM

17,539 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I have to get a grip on this because it's killing me.

I have become more intolerant and I hate it.

I don't like to deal with problems of any kind anymore - have zero tolerance for anything going wrong, and obviously that is problematic!

I had to simply call Comcast today and it ruined my day. I was on the phone for at least a half-an-hour and spoke to two different people and could not get my problem resolved. I just gave up.

I don't know what the solution is to being intolerant - probably a mindfulness practice of some kind.

How do you handle just regular life and problems as they come up now that you're older and maybe sick of it all?

That's not age related. It's a frame of mind issue. I feel sorry for you

Old 05-06-2021, 08:57 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
^^^ This....from servers at restaurants, to clerks at the supermarket, to counter people at the gas station.....I remember a friendly, competent 'world' and just find it so different these days. People really don't seem to care....or perhaps they were never taught/never learned how to interact in a friendly manner with people.....If you're going to take that type of a job, you could at least be nice to the customers.
It's frustrating for sure.
I usually get good to great service in person. It's the nameless faceless "phone people" who mess it up.

The one time I got great and friendly service from a phone person it turned out he was in prison. He tried to contact me again after my problem was resolved.

Old 05-06-2021, 09:25 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
I wouldn't take all the blame for this. Too many variables out of your control...

I had the same reaction earlier this week when my vet told me I had to take my cat to emergency care for a non-emergency problem. Cat has been going to this facility for all 8 years of it's life, was not having a life-threatening emergency and, in fact, had similar symptoms as it did in its first year... but nope! With the -possibility- that kitty might need observation overnight, which they had stopped doing, they said they were actually doing me a favor and sending me 45 minutes away without a physical consultation.

Then because of COVID, all vets make you sit in the car. So I was sitting in my car for 45 minutes drive and then an additional 3 hours for a non-emergency situation (and then another 45 minutes back home).

To top it all off they misdiagnosed him... It's not an irritable bladder as I questioned and what he is being treated for. I realized yesterday he's constipated. Dry, hard poop in the box and an irritated bum. Yes, I had noticed the drier poops, but it's like they've become 20% drier. I will call his vet in a few minutes to see if I can get him in...

We don't send little kids and babies into the doctor alone. We are their advocates. It is no different with pets: we are their advocates too! I can only imagine how many more animals have a misdiagnosis because owners are no longer in the exam room giving full context of what they are observing. The vet should have asked me about the poops and not just about the pee.

And of course I'm stinking mad about it... I can remember going to the vet with my mom 30-40 years ago... one-on-one relationships and quality attention.

There are more people these days.. more competition for time and energy... and communication has changed with social media, internet and smart phones...

I feel like there is an increasing amount of indifference. I'm sure aging is part of it, but I'm convinced there is more to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement