Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 06:57 PM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times

Advertisements

Since I was retiring I turned down their offer of an Exit Interview, which pissed them off.

But even if I wasn't retiring I would have turned it down as it never does any good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 08:30 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
The HR has only one function, that is to protect the management & the company. They could care less what you think / feel or your complaints, even if you meant well.

Old 05-08-2021, 02:06 PM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
The HR has only one function, that is to protect the management & the company. They could care less what you think / feel or your complaints, even if you meant well.
Couldn't agree more.

Old 05-08-2021, 04:25 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Yeah, which isn't to say you can't get actual references (as opposed to what was mentioned, which I consider to be more like "employment checks". That's my own term I came up with. I guess they tend to get lumped in with "reference checks"?). When asked for professional managerial references, I don't go to the company for those. I ask supervisors and managers I used to work under (some have retired, or otherwise no longer with the company we were at) for that.
Yep -- as others have said, the HR department is there to protect the company. If someone had a great relationship with a manager or coworker, it can't hurt to ask them offline if they'd be willing to give a reference.

Old 05-08-2021, 05:05 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
Quote:
Absolutely and my self interest determined how I handled the exit process.

First, HR wanted 3 months of advance notice supposedly to prepare paperwork and pension, if applicable. When they downsize or otherwise terminate an employee, they usually do so on a Friday and the employee is marched off the premises that day. I was generous and gave them 4 weeks notice.

When it came to the exit interview and questionnaire my only semi-negative comment was that I was not being paid enough to stay longer. I did not dwell on the issue even though I was internally quite angry. I had initiated and successfully completed some major projects that greatly improved quality of services and reduced costs. I had put in years of long hours and hard work. Even so I saw only small raises and since I retired a few years after the Great Recession, I had gone several years with no raises.

Old 05-08-2021, 08:00 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
If you are leaving the workforce, then a simple FU is a good exit interview.

Old 05-09-2021, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
If you are leaving the workforce, then a simple FU is a good exit interview.
If you were working in a toxic environment and unhappy, whose fault was that? Why didn't you leave before and find something better?

Old 05-09-2021, 09:30 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
If you were working in a toxic environment and unhappy, whose fault was that? Why didn't you leave before and find something better?
I did not write nor imply a toxic work environment.
As the exit interview is all about HR doing a CYA and there is no benefit for the departing employee, then I think a sod off is sufficient.

Old 05-09-2021, 09:36 AM

I see no purpose to leaving with a FU. It accomplishes nothing. The HR employee doesn't want to hear it either. Management is not likely to listen.

You also never know. Retirees change their minds and often take another job at least part time for a while. Leaving with a good rep and recommendations can be important.

Old 05-09-2021, 10:03 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
There's a YouTube channel called 55+ and he advised do *not* answer questions honestly if it's not positive.

There's no good will come out of it. They don't really care how you feel about the company, worse they will put your comments in your personnel file. You'll never know if sometimes down the road a potential employer may check up on you and they may give you a negative review based on your personnel file.

Given that this is the retirement forum and the question asked about when retiring, it's not likely there will be a potential employer checking up. Besides, most places don't give out anything but dates and positions. Personal references are who employers contact for actual work characteristics. But by teh Youtuber's logic, there's no reason to even participate in an exit interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement