Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 12:50 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times

Advertisements

Before ebooks, I used to get books at the library and purchased cheap books at their Friends of the Library sale or secondhand shops. I ended up with hundreds of books. When we moved cross country, I donated virtually all of my books.

Now, its kindle paperwhite all the way. I can read in bed without disturbing DH by turning on the lights. I can make the font larger for my v aging eyes. Free from library or free with prime membership (not prime unlimited). Occasionally have to suffer with a physical book from the library.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2021, 12:53 PM

14 posts, read 16,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Or you really like making trips back and forth to the library.

It's not one of my favorite activities. A balmy summer day in Scottsdale is about 115 degrees. I'll have my books delivered.

Actually I do like making trips to the library! I recently moved from the flatlands, about 12 feet above sea level, to the mountains. I LOVE getting out and about! And the weather is better too!

Old 05-09-2021, 01:01 PM

2,525 posts, read 1,946,683 times
I use mostly Library books, and kindle ebooks.

I've written a few short stories and put them up on kindle. If anybody's looking for a humorous beach read or a good historical fiction, I can recommend something.....plug.

Old 05-09-2021, 01:09 PM

17,378 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindamh View Post
I guess cost is relative. I consider books, both hard cover and paperback, to be expensive these days. I'm recently retired, enjoying my free time, and reading 7 - 9 hard cover books a month. That would total up to quite a bite out of my budget! So, I do use the library for books and ebooks - whichever can get me the book faster! I also love that I can put books on Hold online. That way I can order new books before they hit the shelves.

I do have a small book shelf - used to have a lot more books before I moved and cleaned out. Now I keep a collection of hardbacks by my favorite author, a collection of pop-up books, and a small collection of read aloud books that I bought over the years as a teacher and now keep for my grandkids. Gave away hundreds (literally) when I retired, but kept a few of my favorites.
Every time I think about possibly paring down my book collection something happens to change my mind. When they took aim at Dr Seuss that got my hackles up. I will be holding on to any and all classic books that I have and that includes the children's books even though I likely won't become a grandma for quite awhile.

Old 05-09-2021, 01:27 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times
I love books but I've downsized and the back of my car is full of books to be (hopefully) sold to second hand book stores. Otherwise they'll go to the Salvation Army store.

I love going to the library but of course during COVID, the library's been closed. We can call and reserve books now and then go and pick them up. I think with things getting better, we can now make an appointment to actually go and browse in the library in person.

I'm still hanging onto one bookcase and 1/2 of a tall bookcase because those books were either history books that belonged to my dad or they are informational gardening books, art books, antiques books. I really had waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many books gathering dust when there's a such thing as a library to get books from.

Old 05-09-2021, 02:13 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
I downsized when I moved here, but have accumulated a lot of new books since then. If its something I'll read once and move on, I'll get it from the library or purchase a Kindle copy. There are books I have as objects: a first edition of a couple of favorite novels, a couple of illustrated copies of favorite novels. There are books I've read five or six times (or even more) over the years; those I have as hard copy editions. Also, reference books -- looking up things on a Kindle is a pain. I have multiple editions of a couple of books because I enjoy the cover art on them. If I really like something I read from the library, I might purchase a paperback of it for my rereads.

Old 05-09-2021, 02:16 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Every time I think about possibly paring down my book collection something happens to change my mind. When they took aim at Dr Seuss that got my hackles up. I will be holding on to any and all classic books that I have and that includes the children's books even though I likely won't become a grandma for quite awhile.
you know it was his family that decided not to continue publishing some of the books.

Old 05-09-2021, 02:50 PM

17,378 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
you know it was his family that decided not to continue publishing some of the books.
All the more reason to hold onto the classics, IMO. You never know what brought the family to make that decision. It may have been their personal choice, it may have been pressure from outside sources. We don't know the whole story and we may never know it.

Old 05-09-2021, 02:54 PM

61,706 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Thrift shops and Goodwill stores. They have plenty of interesting books. Cheap.

Old 05-09-2021, 03:02 PM

904 posts, read 665,504 times
Library or Kindle. Sometimes I buy at Goodwill. I really am trying not to accumulate stuff anymore so the library helps curb this. I read over 100 books a year. I imagine when I retire that number will go up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement