Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 08:30 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times

Advertisements

I'd planned to retire at 65 but got sick of toxic politics and retired at 61. DH was 15 years older so I knew we didn't have an infinite amount of time left together. We had a couple more very good years before he died.

Bridging from employer health insurance to Medicare over 4+ years was expensive but I was fortunate in that I never had any serious medical issues, so was never hit with the full $6K annual deductible.

Very glad to be out of the rat race and grateful to be solvent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2021, 09:06 AM

89 posts, read 84,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I had always planned on 55, but retired at 54 when my organization offered an early-out program. I chose to do so even though it entailed a $6k+ difference in my pension going forward.
As I've written before, I left my office at 1:00pm on my last day at work, walked out the front door, hailed a taxi to BWI, and flew directly to Las Vegas where my wife was waiting for me having moved into our new retirement home two weeks earlier.

I just turned 65 earlier this year so I've been retired now for 11 years. I think back to all the things that my wife and I have seen and done in our travels over the past 11 years and I seriously cannot fathom having had to delay retirement into our mid to late 60s. As it is, I feel like we are already running short of time to do all the things we want to do, and see all the places we want to visit.

I've recently lost both my parents, so there's nothing holding us in the U.S. any longer. We sold our condo last month and next up will be our house. The next chapter of our lives will entail if not living overseas full-time, at least spending the majority of our time traveling.

Was living in Vegas everything you thought it would be? Mostly good or bad? I ask because you are on the same path as I. I intend to retire to Vegas, as I am 61. I want to retire early but caring for an elderly Mother and with a good paying job with good health benefits, it would not be wise to retire now.

Old 05-11-2021, 09:10 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbarkus View Post
I want to retire early but caring for an elderly Mother and with a good paying job with good health benefits, it would not be wise to retire now.
Surely your mother isn't on your health insurance... And wouldn't retiring now give you MORE time and freedom to care for your mother (are you able to take enough time off work)? Just curious...

I'd have given my right arm to be able to retire when I was a direct full-time caregiver for several years; in fact, I took an unpaid leave of absence and was VERY fortunate to be allowed to do that.

Old 05-11-2021, 09:36 AM

89 posts, read 84,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Surely your mother isn't on your health insurance... And wouldn't retiring now give you MORE time and freedom to care for your mother (are you able to take enough time off work)? Just curious...

I'd have given my right arm to be able to retire when I was a direct full-time caregiver for several years; in fact, I took an unpaid leave of absence and was VERY fortunate to be allowed to do that.

No, my Mother is not on my health insurance. She is on Medicare including a supplemental. She is in a skilled nursing facility rehabbing a broken hip with signs of vascular dementia after in home care by family members including myself. She will be placed in a memory care facility or assisted living whatever is appropriate following a medical evaluation. I hope your curiosity has been quenched.

Old 05-11-2021, 09:40 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
No, my Mother is not on my health insurance. She is on Medicare including a supplemental. She is in a skilled nursing facility rehabbing a broken hip with signs of vascular dementia after in home care by family members including myself. She will be placed in a memory care facility or assisted living whatever is appropriate following a medical evaluation. I hope your curiosity has been quenched.
And yours regarding life in Las Vegas as well.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:17 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
Not sure wanted is the right word, but I planned to retire around 58-60. I ended up retiring at 50 (although just shy of 51). The plan was based on becoming an empty nester and being close to the 59.5 age, it wasn’t really about hitting a number (I was quite sure I’d have plenty). Retiring years early was a combination of getting cancer in my late 40s and also discovering the FIRE movement and really digging into my numbers and realizing I could make it work

Old 05-11-2021, 10:28 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,531 times
Wanted to retire at 62 and 11 months. Once I hit 63, it would have cost a little more to have my pension go to my wife.

I was retired at 62 and 5 months due to Covid’s impact on our operation. No regrets- the business paid me much more than if I worked until my planned date. Lol

Old 05-11-2021, 10:46 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
I wanted to retire at 68 - with a full 30 year pension - but retired at 65 because a new mayor took over and he was a disaster.

I have NO REGRETS. Glad I got out before COVID. We moved, bought a house and are well established in our new digs.

Old 05-11-2021, 11:06 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Long range plan was to retire at 65. Actually retired at age 65 and 7 months. I enjoyed my work, so there was no pressure to get out at a specific time/date.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 05-11-2021, 11:32 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Was living in Vegas everything you thought it would be? Mostly good or bad? I ask because you are on the same path as I. I intend to retire to Vegas, as I am 61.
Yes, it was. But then again, I've always loved Vegas. My wife and I honeymooned there in 1978 and would take trips back every year or two from then on. I'm a poker player and loved spending 2-3 hours every day or so at a poker table conversing and kibbitzing with the regulars and the tourists. And then at night we had our pick of shows and other entertainment. The only thing I missed was not having local professional sports games to attend, but that has since changed now that both the NFL and NHL have established teams there. And I would wager that the NBA isn't far behind.

Quote:
I want to retire early but caring for an elderly Mother and with a good paying job with good health benefits, it would not be wise to retire now.
Ironically, we left Vegas after three years and moved to Miami to help care for my elderly mother (and father) who were 86 and 81 at the time. They died earlier this year at 93 & 88.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement