Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 03:10 PM

997 posts, read 710,354 times

Advertisements

Shelf stable cooked white, basmati, jasmine rice is quite good. Microwave it in 90 seconds. Found in most grocery stores and certainly in the Asian Markets.

I find Wegmans pre-packaged meals to be very expensive and the portions are small. Likewise their entrees and side dishes are also quite expensive.

I tend to buy just the rotisserie chicken which can be had near me from $5.99 to $6.99 at various stores. I eat the dark meat, then make chicken salad with the white meat or heat it up in a pan on the stove in "Sweet Baby Ray's Buffalo Wing Sauce" and add sliced onions. Yum..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2021, 03:17 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,252,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
Shelf stable cooked white, basmati, jasmine rice is quite good. Microwave it in 90 seconds. Found in most grocery stores and certainly in the Asian Markets.

I find Wegmans pre-packaged meals to be very expensive and the portions are small. Likewise their entrees and side dishes are also quite expensive.

I tend to buy just the rotisserie chicken which can be had near me from $5.99 to $6.99 at various stores. I eat the dark meat, then make chicken salad with the white meat or heat it up in a pan on the stove in "Sweet Baby Ray's Buffalo Wing Sauce" and add sliced onions. Yum..
Good to know about the shelf stable rice. I pass it by all the time and wonder.
A good cheat is to use the vigo saffron rice (low salt) and make a mock paella. saute onions, red peppers, chorizo, add rice package /water. 18 minutes in add defrosted shrimp, can of octopus in oil/garlic. Works with the rice and black beans variety too.

Old 06-12-2021, 03:58 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Anyone who shops the aisles of a grocery store is buying convenience foods. Canned foods are all prepped. Heat 'n Serve or not even heat.

How many people grow their own grain? Make their own bread every time? Grow their own animals for butchering? Grow all their vegetables and fruit? Milk cows for their dairy? Hunt and process their own turkeys for Thanksgiving?

We are a society of convenience, whether that's been thought about or not. Pre-made, ready-to-eat has existed for well over 50 years.

[mod cut - personal attack].
I was thinking this also. Where do you draw the line between convenience foods and really home made? How many people claim to make home made spaghetti for example but use pasta from a box and make their homemade sauce using canned tomatoes? The line can be really fuzzy between what some are calling homemade vs convenience.
The line looks much clearer when your talking about a frozen pizza, or a pizza you make yourself with homemade dough but even that can get fuzzy depending what you use for sauce. Do you make your own mozzarella or buy that convenient rubbery stuff packed in stiff plastic from a factory across the country?

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 06-12-2021 at 05:34 PM..

Old 06-12-2021, 04:12 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Peanuts when I need food to go with my medicines, beef and cheese for a quick, low carb dinner. I buy the 10lb hamburger, slice it into quarter lb segments, into baggies and the freezer. Hence, a quick meal is ready to go.

Old 06-12-2021, 04:52 PM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
I think some folks are overthinking this. If it's a meal that's too much effort to stand and prepare for someone recuperating after a hospital stay, how 'convenient' is it? That seems to be what the OP wanted to discuss, seems like making spaghetti sauce from canned tomatoes wouldn't be much of a convenience in those circumstances.

Old 06-12-2021, 04:57 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
And the $0.99 prepared chicken cordon Bleu frozen package from Aldi is convenient too..just throw in oven for a half hour.
---------
what kind of chicken cordon blue sell for 99 cents>
Berber chicken you find in most supermarkets,2 in a box cost around 4.75,sometimes $3.75 with coupon.
stuffed with creamy broccoli or ham and cheese
steam fresh Birdeye or Green giant veggies added to Ramin noodles in my own chicken broth.
Beware of buying from supermarket anything with mayonaise,I used to work in school cafeteria,the lady shredded cabbage with mayonaise,will ask us to throw them away after one setting,never save it to dinner time.
Supermarket food with mayonaise has made many people sick-seafood with mayonaise,salad with mayonaise,AVOID THEM ALL

Old 06-12-2021, 08:17 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
My wife had gastric sleeve surgery, taking out 80% of her stomach, back in August (85 lb loss so far!!!!!). She can only eat 1/4 cup protein and 1/4 cup vegetables each meal. Dr. isn't a big fan of "processed" food, but we keep a supply of Stouffer's meatloaf and mashed potatoes or salisbury steak and mac and cheese. She can't eat the whole piece of meat and I fix her a veggie instead of the mac and cheese, but she loves the taste and only take about 5 minutes to nuke.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:06 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
I get El Polo Loco often. The lady in front of me got $85 worth and I see big orders often.I doubt that El Polo Loco is national so it's a Mexican food place with a good variety and their food is healthier than any other fast food place.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:16 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,307,469 times
Pizza bases, lasagne sheets, packet pasta, bottled passata, yoghurt, butter, (used to make yoghurt and butter but too lazy now) ice cream, canned tuna, low fat mayonnaise and salad dressing, Nutella, peanut butter (again used to make it but too lazy) bread. Packet biscuits. Gnocchi.

Old 06-13-2021, 07:31 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,157,771 times
I try to eat semi-healthy, so I don't eat much convenience food. The healthier choices are rotisserie chicken and frozen steamable vegetables. The trick with steamable veggies is to experiment to see how long it takes to cook to your liking in your microwave. Every time I get a new microwave I have to go through that process again. Canned tuna is pretty quick to make. Add some halved grape tomatos and serve it on lettuce.

I think frozen mac and cheese is pretty good, but not healthy so I only buy it a few times a year. I honestly don't like any of the other frozen meals. I cycled through every brand of frozen lasagna a few years ago and never found one that I enjoyed.

If you're feeling better before the last surgery happens, I'd make some stuff for the freezer. Bake up a pan of chicken and freeze in single serving packets. Throw together a couple casseroles for the freezer. Make chili and soup and freeze in single portions. I always have enough of this type of stuff in my freezer to feed me for at least a week. I don't have to be ill or injured to be lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement