Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2021, 11:03 AM

7,566 posts, read 3,241,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I retired nearly 15 years ago from the federal government, at 55 years old. I had planned to work until I was 62, getting 41 years of federal service credit for retirement, but saw that staying was actually hurting my eventual pension.

This coming year, the folks like me who retired from the old Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) are getting a 5.9% increase, the same as Social Security. Those retirees who were in the newer FERS retirement system are getting a 4.9% increase. Ironically, those working for the federal government are only going to get a 2.7% increase next year. This follows the pattern of the past 50+ years, federal workers getting annual increases that are below the SS and pension increases.

Don't you only get the SS portion of COLA between 55 & 60. That's how FERS works (no COLA before 60)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
One of the questions I've heard asked, "What will you do all day?" or "So what do you do all day now?"

No one cared what new retiree did all day the week or month before, but when people at work hear the 'R' word, they want to know!

Of course, they're really thinking about themselves, wondering what they'll do all day when it comes time for them to retire. And the thought is bringing up uncertainty and perhaps some anxiety, which is why they question the about-to-be-retired.

Some people have a really strong attachment to the workforce.

Old 11-05-2021, 01:28 PM

202 posts, read 124,450 times
It's probably jealousy or in their minds, retirement is something that you do when you start drawing Social Security, so they don't understand it.

Either way, I wouldn't be bothered by weird looks or snide remarks. I'd laugh about it. Guess who gets to do what he wants all day while they have to spend all day following orders from some boss? LOL

Old 11-05-2021, 02:31 PM

3,375 posts, read 1,968,473 times
Usually by the time someone retires, early or otherwise, they've learned not to be bothered by what other people think. That's one of the best parts about getting older. I'm 65 - retired in my fifties. Can't imagine being offended by what other people assume or imply by their looks. OP, enjoy yourself! These can be the best years of your life.

Old 11-05-2021, 03:21 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,711,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
... if you are okay with you why the heck what anyone else thinks bothers you. Unless, you're out there searching for validation and congratulations?? And why? And isn't the think itself the reward?
That's an achingly intriguing question, and foundation to our self-conception and a whole bevy of life-decisions.

Do we lift weights, apply cosmetics or wear designer clothing for a personal sense of feeling/looking good? Or to impress others, for operational reasons, such as to get a job or to attract a partner? Or, do we solicit the good opinion of others, for better social standing? Or yet, for approbation and validation?

In other words, suppose that I don't require any practical favor from others. Do I still crave their good opinion? More to the point, is my self-opinion contingent on the good opinion of others?

Surely it's craven and insubstantial to be thus-dependent on the good impressions of the crowd? OK then. Let's so stipulate. Why then should I mow my lawn? Or even own a house? Why not wander the earth, homeless and itinerant? I don't particularly require indoor plumbing, or a kitchen, or a Posture-Pedic king-sized mattress. The village meadow is a suitable sleeping-place, at least in the summer.

Well then... I use indoor plumbing and cook in a kitchen instead of an open fire in the forest, in large measure from a desire to conform, to accede to society's mandates and to curry its good opinion. I use this good-opinion as guide for proper behavior, and indeed, for multitude of "good" decisions throughout life. Lose this good opinion, and we go adrift. That sounds liberating and romantic, but personally I lack the fortitude to be thus independent.

Old 11-05-2021, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
That's an achingly intriguing question, and foundation to our self-conception and a whole bevy of life-decisions.

Do we lift weights, apply cosmetics or wear designer clothing for a personal sense of feeling/looking good? Or to impress others, for operational reasons, such as to get a job or to attract a partner? Or, do we solicit the good opinion of others, for better social standing? Or yet, for approbation and validation?

In other words, suppose that I don't require any practical favor from others. Do I still crave their good opinion? More to the point, is my self-opinion contingent on the good opinion of others?

Surely it's craven and insubstantial to be thus-dependent on the good impressions of the crowd? OK then. Let's so stipulate. Why then should I mow my lawn? Or even own a house? Why not wander the earth, homeless and itinerant? I don't particularly require indoor plumbing, or a kitchen, or a Posture-Pedic king-sized mattress. The village meadow is a suitable sleeping-place, at least in the summer.

Well then... I use indoor plumbing and cook in a kitchen instead of an open fire in the forest, in large measure from a desire to conform, to accede to society's mandates and to curry its good opinion. I use this good-opinion as guide for proper behavior, and indeed, for multitude of "good" decisions throughout life. Lose this good opinion, and we go adrift. That sounds liberating and romantic, but personally I lack the fortitude to be thus independent.

I do not equate Not Being Homeless something I pursue to impress people. I think you are right that we invest in certain social conventions to stay in the game/workforce. I think the more you let all the things fall away you find out who your real friends are (including family) -- you may not like the outcome (but, at least you'll know the truth and stop wasting your time).

Old 11-05-2021, 04:54 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
Quote:
Yeah, exactly, if you are okay with you why the heck what anyone else thinks bothers you. Unless, you're out there searching for validation and congratulations?? And why? And isn't the think itself the reward? wtf?
I don’t think the op cares what they think, he’s just wondering ways to answer.

Old 11-05-2021, 07:45 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I agree, I don't know why any explanation or made-up occupation is needed. I retired at 51. I've been very happy to say I'm retired to anyone who asks. Weird looks? I love those. They tell me I did it right, and the person giving the weird look is wondering how I got so "lucky".

And NO, I didn't inherit money to be able to retire at 51. Both of my parents died broke years before that. The idea that early retirement must come from an ingeritance is insulting to me. It's similar to the time I had a divorced, but single acquaintance (who inherited a ton of $$$, and was divorced from a lawyer) commented on visiting my new home when I was single. She looked around and said "You must've done well in your divorce!" as if that was a compliment or something to be proud of. "No," I said, "I just have a good job". She seemed to think inheriting, or taking your ex's money, was the only way a single woman could afford a nice home.
There was a time that the only way a divorced woman could afford to own a home was from an inheritance or money from her ex. Not everyone gets divorced from a rich or well off spouse. And until recent decades women didn't earn much on average. You didn't say what decade this took place.

Old 11-06-2021, 03:33 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
That is one of the more, if not the most interesting second career stories I've ever heard.

Would you mind elaborating on how the decision making process went for the second career? Was it always something that intrigued you or did it just fall into your lap, did you keep abreast of the opportunities before ending first career, how long would you have done it if the back problem didn't nip your career in the bud, etc.

Thank you for asking. And I apologize for the long-winded discourse.

I was a parking director for a university. It was a job from hell to say the least, with a pretentious/dictating 'committee' and a corrupt administration. My husband at that time, was a dept head, and was insecure, being very verbally abusive. I wish that I had been more like my mother, who swore like a truck driver and would have wacked him across the head. But I was a very nice person, and did everything I could to be a 'good wife.' Well, it was a case of super trauma. Oddly, I was a middle eastern belly dancer (30+ yr career) and had done a series of remarkable performances. I gave my secretary a VHS tape of it. She returned it, saying that her husband said I could make a fortune being a stripper.

Life became worse and worse. And then, what my secretary told me started to sink in. So.... I retired as soon as I was eligible, at age 47. Got a boob job and a face lift, and started a career as a stripper in El Paso. The husband went ballistic. But all he cared about was money and demanded, "half of that is mine!" Hilarious. Soon, I figured out, that I was now the one in control - giving him money. And, within a few months I divorced him, since as he declared, "Now that you are rolling in money . . ."

Funny how life works out. But I've always said that being a stripper actually saved my life. By the way, he was so verbally abusive, that I was down to 89 lbs at one point, anorexic and a complete nervous wreck.

The back surgery thing: I am classically ballet trained, rode horses, and did heavy farm work. I'm only 5'3" and usually 105 lbs. Thus, all the years of hard dancing and work, did a number on my back. By the time I needed back surgery at age 57, yeah, it was time to quit the stripping thing. The money wasn't there anymore, it was an hour drive to El Paso and then back, and at that age, it was just too exhausting. I never got into the drug-drink thing, thank heavens, but had I stuck with it, probably, I would have. It is a very difficult thing to do - being an adult entertainer: the scene, the loud music, smoke, disrespect, late hours, wearing super high heels, etc.

I appreciate your interest and taking the time to read all of this. You know, now, I sit around and think about it all, and it is like a life in another dimension. But I do NOT regret it. I had so much fun as a stripper and met the most amazing people: Not perverts like most people think, just men, passing through, military guys, truck drivers, lonely men (yes) but so many amazing interesting and fascinating individuals who were so much fun and interesting. I DO miss that very much.

Have a good one.

Old 11-06-2021, 03:40 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,622 times
Quote:
Some people have a really strong attachment to the workforce.
I did. As a parking director, with a dept under great criticism all the time, it was horribly stressful. But I had the most amazing staff. We looked after one another. Now adays, we probably could never have gotten away with it. For example: we had a student employee whose little baby died. I shut down the dept, put a sign on the door that a 'parking dept family member died and we were at the funeral." And THAT was the end of it.

Another time, my assistant, a unmarried, older fellow, needed open heart surgery. Our staff, sneaked off, took care of him, cleaned his house, cooked for him - all on company time.

And... it goes on and one.

Now that I DO miss - the trust and comaraderie of my staff, apx 40 full time and part time students.

So I do still, remember all that and have a strong attachment to the folks I worked with. And I remain very grateful for that time and the support we showed one another. And don't even get me going about the time President Clinton came to visit campus, and we had to pull that one off! HAHAHAHAHHA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement