Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2021, 04:21 PM

365 posts, read 354,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Those retirees who were in the newer FERS retirement system are getting a 4.9% increase. Ironically, those working for the federal government are only going to get a 2.7% increase next year.

I wonder if there will be extra December retirements this year. get out the calculators.

how many more months of work in 2022, just to match a December 2021 pension?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2021, 05:39 PM

12,723 posts, read 7,643,978 times
We retied in our early to mid 40s and look relatively young anyway, definitely got some "how?" type stuff. I don't mind, no problem explaining how FIRE works and what we did to get there.

Since we hit the road for our long vacation overseas we've developed a storyline (well, that's softer word for lies) that we work online because we meet up with locals to socialize and didn't want anyone gossiping about the couple who have enough accessible money saved up that they don't have to work. I doubt anything would happen but it's just better to not go there. It's easy to maintain the BS since we say same industry as when we did work so can talk shop if needed, I have no problems (yet) discussing what tools and platforms I used when a software developer acting like it's what I use today.

Old 10-31-2021, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
47. A few were jealous. Some said I would get bored. Hasn't happened yet but it's only been 18 years.
Yeah I'm still waiting on all the "you'll get bored if you don't find something constructive to focus on" folks to be proven right.

Old 10-31-2021, 06:34 PM

1,250 posts, read 688,539 times
Haven't read the thread, but it's a really sad commentary on society when people actually believe it is more important to be a "human doing" than a "human being."

Old 10-31-2021, 07:42 PM

14,267 posts, read 7,021,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
We retied in our early to mid 40s and look relatively young anyway, definitely got some "how?" type stuff. I don't mind, no problem explaining how FIRE works and what we did to get there.

Since we hit the road for our long vacation overseas we've developed a storyline (well, that's softer word for lies) that we work online because we meet up with locals to socialize and didn't want anyone gossiping about the couple who have enough accessible money saved up that they don't have to work. I doubt anything would happen but it's just better to not go there. It's easy to maintain the BS since we say same industry as when we did work so can talk shop if needed, I have no problems (yet) discussing what tools and platforms I used when a software developer acting like it's what I use today.
Be careful who you are talking to about those software platforms. If you are 5 years down the road, the software you used is most likely obsolete, or at least out of favor. My college age grandchild talks about new languages that didn't exist 10 years ago when I was in the business.

Old 10-31-2021, 08:10 PM

15,654 posts, read 26,380,914 times
One of the good things about living in northern California is that nobody ever cares or makes assumptions about what you are doing. I know enough people who have oddball careers where they make boatloads of money yet to the general public it appears like they never work. It’s common.

I know a guy who works as a Asian markets trader. He works from home like from nine at night to three in the morning and he’s a person who sleeps for about three or four hours wakes up takes kids to school does the stuff around the house and then he goes to bed for a little bit more than wakes up and has dinner. So for his kids he is always around.

Old 10-31-2021, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Be careful who you are talking to about those software platforms. If you are 5 years down the road, the software you used is most likely obsolete, or at least out of favor. My college age grandchild talks about new languages that didn't exist 10 years ago when I was in the business.
Nah I worked with Python, C#, Java, Javascript, etc. on most lists of most desirable programming languages I cover 7-8 of the top 10. I've found that full-stack frameworks change in and out of favor than the core languages used by them but even then I've been exposed to most of them, especially on presentation layer.

Old 10-31-2021, 09:33 PM

11,674 posts, read 12,812,777 times
Lots of people in their 40s and 50s retire where I live. They are cops and firefighters who can retire with full pension after a certain number of years. Teachers here also retire in their 50s, as well as other civil servants, Transit workers, EMTs, and Utility workers after putting in 30 years, sometimes 25 if they are offered an early retirement incentive. Come on over to the NYC forum. Some get a second career if they wish.

Old 11-01-2021, 02:57 AM

24,973 posts, read 9,696,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
That doesn’t sound particularly early.

Also you can still be a productive member of society even if you aren’t on payroll.
Well stated.

My guess is society still thinks the word "retired" in response to "what do you do for a living" means the person either didn't earn it, is lazy, too young, got lucky, or is sucking the benefits out of some government pension.

But yes, it is sad that some folks feel ashamed or guilty of being truthful about their retirement status just because some folks rather work until they're dead.

Old 11-01-2021, 12:19 PM

7,176 posts, read 12,754,783 times
I tell folks I'm a professional reader...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement