Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 06:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,453,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I feel sorry for those of you under the spell of the gremlins. Perhaps a mental health and cognition check up should be done. I have not lost a sock in 40 plus years. Keys, eyeglasses, cellphone and the like are always where I put them. I am a photographer and my camera has dozens of settings. I can tell you exactly how it is set at any time.

If you go through life in a fog, something is wrong. It's not cute, not funny.
Interesting commentary. I mean, not THAT interesting but interesting enough for me to remark on.

My late husband was super scatterbrained unless he was in a crisis, during which time he was who you wanted to be there, believe me. Anyway, there was nothing wrong with his mental health or cognition - he was just scattered. He didn't lose socks because he didn't wash his socks, I did. He lost his keys, eyeglasses, cellphone, wallet, you name it nearly every single day of his life. Other than that, he was completely normal - LOL.

He wasn't going through life in a fog - he was just scatterbrained. He was wired together differently from you, and that's OK too. It doesn't mean someone is mentally ill or their cognition is shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2021, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
My comments have nothing to do with "superiority". If you go through life in a fog and are losing keys, eyeglasses, socks, and more, then that is something which needs to be dealt with. At a minimum it is something to discuss with you PC physician. Again I see nothing cute or funny about these stories. In fact there is a serious downside. It only reinforces the stereotype that older people are all forgetful at best and likely to be senile. Hence our ideas and opinions are discounted and people can talk right past us instead.

Being aware and having some intelligence is not a sign of superiority. It is what we should all strive for and if we fall short it is time to look for the reasons and corrective actions.
My husband was scatterbrained since the day he was born. It had nothing to with his age whatsoever. Just for some perspective.

When the cat batted my glasses under the stove and I couldn't find them for years, I was in my mid 40s.

Old 11-07-2021, 08:16 AM

31,698 posts, read 41,167,357 times
All seriousness aside, can someone remind me what this thread is really about?

Last edited by TuborgP; 11-07-2021 at 08:35 AM..

Old 11-07-2021, 08:29 AM

15,172 posts, read 12,343,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
All seriousness aside, can someone remind me what this thread is about?

Things we can't find but we KNOW they're in the house somewhere......... maybe......

Old 11-07-2021, 08:30 AM

15,172 posts, read 12,343,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My husband was scatterbrained since the day he was born. It had nothing to with his age whatsoever. Just for some perspective.

When the cat batted my glasses under the stove and I couldn't find them for years, I was in my mid 40s.
And the aliens have been spiriting off our things since I was a sweet young thang..........

Old 11-07-2021, 08:37 AM

31,698 posts, read 41,167,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Things we can't find but we KNOW they're in the house somewhere......... maybe......
All seriousness aside! Is that what it is really about for everyone? Has this become another C/D mirror thread?

Old 11-07-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
And the aliens have been spiriting off our things since I was a sweet young thang..........
Ha!

Aliens, fairies, trolls, whatever!

Cats!

Anyway, true story time:

Like I've said, my husband was a very intelligent guy with a very strong work ethic and he was absolutely THE BEST when it came to anything requiring adrenaline, but he was totally scatterbrained when it came to mundane stuff (in his mind) like "Where does this go?"

So I decided one day to try to help him. I bought this beautiful, sort of large metal tray and put it on the kitchen counter, right where he walked into the house. This was because from the second he got out of the car he began scattering things - laying them everywhere in no discernible pattern - his keys, his phone, his wallet, etc. I am always The Person Who Knows Where Things Are. I got so tired of sitting in the car, and he'd get in with me, and then he'd jump out and say "Oh my gosh where are my keys, sunglasses, phone, etc.?" and he'd run back into the house looking for things and then we'd end up being late. I mean, I was always, always sitting in the car waiting for him, and sometimes he'd come running back out and he'd say "OK, I can't find my wallet, sorry - we'll have to use your debit card," or whatever.

So I didn't expect to change him overnight. I thought "I'll just go behind him and pick up everything and put it in the metal tray so that when we get ready to go somewhere, it will all be together. Eventually he'll learn that it's easier that way." So for OVER A YEAR, I did this. And every single time he'd get in the car, he'd say "OH MY GOSH, WHERE IS MY PHONE/WALLET/SUNGLASSES/KEYS/FILL IN THE BLANK?" and I'd always say "In the metal tray on the counter," and he'd go rushing back inside and everything would be right there. And he'd come back out with a grin on his face and say "FOUND IT!"

But he would never put anything IN the tray. No. I had to go behind him every single time we got home and pick up everything and put it in the tray. He literally never, ever learned to do this. Talk about wasted effort on my part! And I don't think he even noticed it - all he knew was that he had found whatever it was he was missing and all was right with the world.

Old 11-07-2021, 09:05 AM

24,955 posts, read 11,389,756 times
Catholics have an easy solution for lost items - send a prayer to Saint Augustin.

Do not let SO empty the dishwasher. He gets very creative when it comes to hiding things with best intentions of putting them to their designated locations. The same with laundry.

Old 11-07-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Catholics have an easy solution for lost items - send a prayer to Saint Augustin.

Do not let SO empty the dishwasher. He gets very creative when it comes to hiding things with best intentions of putting them to their designated locations. The same with laundry.
I could be wrong but I believe it's St. Anthony. I rarely have to pray about losing anything though but I would have prayed to the devil if it had helped me find those glasses!

My husband used to do crazy things like put stuff upside down in the fridge if I asked him to help me put groceries away. It was easier for him to just bring bags in and let me put things away - but of course I think he meant for it to be easier.

Big stuff, not little stuff - he was a big picture guy, no attention to mundane details - LOL.

Old 11-07-2021, 02:39 PM

6,643 posts, read 3,285,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I could be wrong but I believe it's St. Anthony.
That is correct.

This discussion got me thinking, as my father's employer transferred him 3 times, before I turned 10 years of age, which meant we moved 3 times, during that period. Thinking back, I know that some of my "stuff" disappeared after each one of those moves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement