Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 03:09 PM

834 posts, read 467,236 times

Advertisements

Like others here my wife and I always say it is in a "safe" spot.

I occasionally put things in a different place than they have been used to for 20 or 30 years because it occurs to me we get mentally lazy sometimes with too much routine.

"I know it's in the house somewhere..." is a perfect title!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2021, 03:21 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My husband was scatterbrained since the day he was born. It had nothing to with his age whatsoever.
A hallmark of ADHD. Odds are it was not just an issue with misplacing keys and cellphone. It is likely he spent a lifetime compensating for this disorder and was equally frustrated by it. Decades ago it was not understood and rarely diagnosed. Too bad because treatment (pills and skills) can go a long way towards helping those afflicted.

Old 11-07-2021, 03:31 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
A hallmark of ADHD. Odds are it was not just an issue with misplacing keys and cellphone. It is likely he spent a lifetime compensating for this disorder and was equally frustrated by it. Decades ago it was not understood and rarely diagnosed. Too bad because treatment (pills and skills) can go a long way towards helping those afflicted.
I don't think my husband had ADHD. I have a son who has it - I mean, a bona fide case of it - and they aren't anything alike.

He was just like an absent minded professor so to speak. I knew why he misplaced things - I totally got it. I'm not like that but he was, and sorry, but he didn't have any other indication of ADHD. For instance, he was very well spoken, well read, used good grammar and punctuation, etc. He loved reading, and he was very eloquent when it came to expressing himself in both word and in writing.

Also, sorry, but he never seemed particularly bothered by it, or frustrated. Actually, he seemed in denial about it some of the time!

Old 11-07-2021, 10:06 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,852,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I am still missing stuff that I know I brought into the house when I moved in back in 2013 but I have never seen it again. There is a black hole that this stuff just disappears into, never to be seen again. Most of it is stuff I wasn't going to need right away so I must have put it in a safe place. The house isn't that big...

Am I the only one?
Socks!

There's a mountain of "singleton" socks somewhere!

Old 11-08-2021, 01:51 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Saw a difference in my memory when I started taking Prevagen. I play an on line trivia game (multiple choice) and I wasn't happy when I only won a small number of games even though I got all of the answers correct in a lot of games. (Couldn't believe the stuff I recalled from high school science classes.) It took both accuracy and speed to win and I was losing out on speed. When I won it was usually because my opponent was awful. It just took me too long to recall the right answers when I was equally matched up. As for around the house, I would remember where I put something, or the answer to something, sometimes hours later when it just popped into my head but if I must be honest, even when I was a little kid I used to forget where I put things. My mother called me The Absent Minded Professor. Anyway, I started taking the extra strength Prevagen and noticed a difference fairly quickly. Not shilling for Prevagen. There are similar pills out there by different makers. It's just the one I tried first and since it worked for me, I didn't try anything else after that. It's not cheap, either. Since I live alone, I don't have someone else to ask where I put things. And although kills me to say this, make sure you have GPS in your car if you drive.

Old 11-08-2021, 05:30 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
Quote:
I don't think my husband had ADHD. I have a son who has it - I mean, a bona fide case of it - and they aren't anything alike.

He was just like an absent minded professor so to speak. .......
Having a son with ADHD about confirms it even though it is a spectrum disorder and their behaviors and symptoms were different.

The absent minded professor is another unfortunate stereotype. Those who intensely follow their intellectual pursuits often have less concern about issues what the masses of people focus on. Because they care about different things does not somehow make them absent minded. I worked in academia a good portion of my life and cannot say I ever met anyone who would qualify as absent minded.

We live in an anti-intellectual society and it seems to comfort a lot of people to downplay the intellectual abilities of others with notions such as absent minded, egg heads, nerds, and others who live in ivory towers. Many people seem to think "common sense" is better than knowledge and analytical skills.

Old 11-08-2021, 05:46 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Having a son with ADHD about confirms it even though it is a spectrum disorder and their behaviors and symptoms were different.

The absent minded professor is another unfortunate stereotype. Those who intensely follow their intellectual pursuits often have less concern about issues what the masses of people focus on. Because they care about different things does not somehow make them absent minded. I worked in academia a good portion of my life and cannot say I ever met anyone who would qualify as absent minded.

We live in an anti-intellectual society and it seems to comfort a lot of people to downplay the intellectual abilities of others with notions such as absent minded, egg heads, nerds, and others who live in ivory towers. Many people seem to think "common sense" is better than knowledge and analytical skills.
My son is not my late husband's son just so you know. He is from my previous marriage.

Listen, not everyone thinks the same, reacts the same, believes the same, etc. You can try to force some sort of internet diagnosis on my husband all you want but the bottom line is that after having lived with him and observed him for many, many years, and seen the work and writing skills and all that that he accomplished for all those years, and having gone to the doctor with him (for other stuff) for many years, all I can tell you is I saw no indication of an actual biological problem with him. Not only was he a great provider, he was also just really smart - one of the few men I have ever met who was at the least my intellectual equal (I actually think he was smarter than me but he would have disagreed on that).

I have to wonder why you are so determined to assume and convince me that he had some sort of disorder. You never even met him, or me, and really have no idea what he was like.

As I have said over and over again, he didn't care about mundane issues or things. He worked in a high adrenaline industry and worked best in crisis mode. He would forget where his wallet was constantly, but if a gasket blew on location and things were about to blow up, he's the guy you would want there to literally defuse the situation.

He was a unique individual and I miss him terribly but I was so blessed to have him in my life. I just found all his texts over the years on my phone and I was rereading them last night and he was just precious. And quite eloquent as I've mentioned.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 11-08-2021 at 06:43 AM..

Old 11-08-2021, 04:27 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,440,789 times
Quote:

Congratulations, looks like you killed the thread.

I didn't realize that this forum was a scholarly journal.

Old 11-09-2021, 10:37 PM

177 posts, read 121,288 times
Quote:
he didn't care about mundane issues or things. He worked in a high adrenaline industry and worked best in crisis mode. He would forget where his wallet was constantly, but if a gasket blew on location and things were about to blow up, he's the guy you would want there to literally defuse the situation.
This makes sense to me. Your husband sounds like an amazing person.

I have always thought some of us are see the trees types, others are see the forest types, but one thing I do believe and that is that "we are all necessary". We all have strengths and weaknesses and assets and liabilities.

What made me conclude that? I was a young woman when I lived in a big city and standing on the sidewalk at a pedestrian crossing, I was about to take a step out into the crosswalk because the signal changed.

At just that moment, an errant taxicab came careening around the corner and a strong hand reached out from behind me, grabbed the back of my coat collar, and pulled me back. That person saved my life that day, or at least, saved me from probably being majorly crippled and run over by a motor vehicle.

It did not matter to me what their politics were, if he cheated on his wife, if he was homeless, or drank a little too much at parties. All I know is that he was "necessary" at that moment of time, in my life, and I turned briefly to thank him..........but it's a person I just never forgot.

Old 11-10-2021, 06:30 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
That safe place!!
Yup. Every time I put something somewhere "for safe-keeping", I can never find it when I need it. "Where was that secret place?", I think to myself. I outsmart myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement