Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 06:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,119,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavedwithgold View Post
This makes sense to me. Your husband sounds like an amazing person.

I have always thought some of us are see the trees types, others are see the forest types, but one thing I do believe and that is that "we are all necessary". We all have strengths and weaknesses and assets and liabilities.

What made me conclude that? I was a young woman when I lived in a big city and standing on the sidewalk at a pedestrian crossing, I was about to take a step out into the crosswalk because the signal changed.

At just that moment, an errant taxicab came careening around the corner and a strong hand reached out from behind me, grabbed the back of my coat collar, and pulled me back. That person saved my life that day, or at least, saved me from probably being majorly crippled and run over by a motor vehicle.

It did not matter to me what their politics were, if he cheated on his wife, if he was homeless, or drank a little too much at parties. All I know is that he was "necessary" at that moment of time, in my life, and I turned briefly to thank him..........but it's a person I just never forgot.
That is a terrific memory - thank you for sharing it!

And yes, my husband was an amazing person. He and I were alike in most ways but one way we were not alike is in this arena. I'm an organized, timely sort of person. I mean, not excessively so, and certainly not 100 percent accurate, but moreso than him. I guess I am a 7 on a scale of 10 and he was about a 2 on a scale of 10. Hey, he was clean so there's that. He didn't clutter. He just didn't have an organized way of thinking.

So even in one of the few ways we were different, we complemented each other well.

I miss him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2021, 06:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,119,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yup. Every time I put something somewhere "for safe-keeping", I can never find it when I need it. "Where was that secret place?", I think to myself. I outsmart myself.
You aren't kidding!

My mom put her grandmother's jewelry in "a safe place" once and never found it. Eventually we moved and we left that jewelry somewhere in some "safe place." Oh well.

Old 11-10-2021, 10:04 AM

16,130 posts, read 10,808,224 times
The alternative to this loss problem is to just leave everything lying about where I last touched it. Some would call that clutter, others a system. That seems to be my system this week -- I have stuff everywhere. Most pieces of furniture have something deposited on them. Eventually my mother's voice tells me to "pick up your room" so I put things in a safe place...never to be seen again.

Where I live we have several different climates a day. A sunny, high elevation desert is pretty cool at night but the sun bakes it by afternoon. During winter you start out in the morning with a coat, by 10 AM you are in a light jacket. An hour later just a sweater. By noon you are in shirtsleeves and a t-shirt by 1:30. Then it goes back in reverse. So you have coats, jackets, sweaters, long-sleeve shirts scattered around within easy reach. They most often accumulate in the back seat of the car if you are moving around or on errands. Otherwise they are draped on pieces of furniture. It's a system.

Old 11-10-2021, 12:31 PM

7,205 posts, read 4,605,718 times
I read that when you tell yourself you are putting something in a safe place that in essence you are hiding it even from yourself. My mom would lose stuff that way. I never say that to myself.

Old 11-10-2021, 03:06 PM

14,995 posts, read 12,204,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
The alternative to this loss problem is to just leave everything lying about where I last touched it. Some would call that clutter, others a system. That seems to be my system this week -- I have stuff everywhere. Most pieces of furniture have something deposited on them. Eventually my mother's voice tells me to "pick up your room" so I put things in a safe place...never to be seen again.

Where I live we have several different climates a day. A sunny, high elevation desert is pretty cool at night but the sun bakes it by afternoon. During winter you start out in the morning with a coat, by 10 AM you are in a light jacket. An hour later just a sweater. By noon you are in shirtsleeves and a t-shirt by 1:30. Then it goes back in reverse. So you have coats, jackets, sweaters, long-sleeve shirts scattered around within easy reach. They most often accumulate in the back seat of the car if you are moving around or on errands. Otherwise they are draped on pieces of furniture. It's a system.
That's the way my husband would do it if I let him.

Problem is, he can lose stuff in the piles of clutter all over the house. He tends to forget which clutter pile he left what he's looking for in. Or which chair he left his shirt draped over.

Old 11-10-2021, 03:38 PM

24,696 posts, read 11,044,214 times
Mother was miffed one Christmas by a what she considered tacky pearl and diamond necklace. I finally removed the upsetting item and hung it around the neck of an antique Mary Mother with Child carving. Months later we tore the place apart

Old 11-10-2021, 05:31 PM

14,995 posts, read 12,204,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Mother was miffed one Christmas by a what she considered tacky pearl and diamond necklace. I finally removed the upsetting item and hung it around the neck of an antique Mary Mother with Child carving. Months later we tore the place apart
ROFL, bet that necklace looked great on the Mother Mary.

Old 11-12-2021, 01:16 PM

31,689 posts, read 41,094,606 times
When parking in a multi level large parking garage I now a days take several pictures indicating where the car is parked. If a new city or part of town a picture of the street and area. I have never needed or come close to needing to use them.
I do know there could at some point be a first tie and that would be a B if I couldn’t find the card!

Be Prepared!

Old 11-12-2021, 03:59 PM

414 posts, read 702,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
What I can't understand is how two cookie sheets that I've had for years, suddenly disappeared. It's been more than six months now. I kept them in the drawer in the bottom of the stove.

We only used it for heating up a pizza or fish sticks or a few times I made dog biscuits on it. I hadn't made cookies on it for a long time. Looked on Amazon and I don't even see nice stainless steel cookie sheets like the ones that ran away. There were similar (maybe) ones but they were $30 each--ouch. How can you lose a cookie sheet? Two cookie sheets? They have to be in the kitchen but they aren't.
I was missing my cookie sheets, finally found them on the floor under the stove, don't know how they got there.

I hadn't gotten to your update, glad you found them. Mine didn't fall out that way. The stove sits up about an inch above the floor. Things get kicked under, but I don't recall leaving the cookie sheets on the floor or sliding them under.

Last edited by Johanna25; 11-12-2021 at 04:08 PM..

Old 11-13-2021, 07:53 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,980,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Having a son with ADHD about confirms it even though it is a spectrum disorder and their behaviors and symptoms were different.

The absent minded professor is another unfortunate stereotype. Those who intensely follow their intellectual pursuits often have less concern about issues what the masses of people focus on. Because they care about different things does not somehow make them absent minded. I worked in academia a good portion of my life and cannot say I ever met anyone who would qualify as absent minded.

We live in an anti-intellectual society and it seems to comfort a lot of people to downplay the intellectual abilities of others with notions such as absent minded, egg heads, nerds, and others who live in ivory towers. Many people seem to think "common sense" is better than knowledge and analytical skills.
Seems to me you are making an awful lot of assumptions about people you don't know. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement