Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 06:30 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times

Advertisements

I FOUND THEM!

I don't know if I posted or not but two cookie sheets mysteriously disappeared some time ago. I was thinking about it last night. Where did I last see them? Well, they have always been kept in the stove drawer with bakeware.

I was at my neighbors when my thoughts progressed to...what if they were in their place in the stove drawer but there is a slot at the back of the drawer or maybe they somehow got pushed up and over the back of the drawer! AND she lent me this thing called a reacher. Went home, shoved reacher under stove and heard familiar rattling of COOKIE SHEETS!

I took the entire stove drawer out and it revealed both cookie sheets, a dog bone, a bottle cap, and a lot of dust. So there's a success story of where something went and how it came back. Now to find hubby's missing underwear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2021, 06:38 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Just looked and I DID post about the missing cookie sheets. It was right before Kathryn Aragon's post about her lost glasses that turned up five years later UNDER THE STOVE. PROBABLY PUSHED THERE BY THE CAT:

Fast forward about five years - after my prescription changed of course. My stove suddenly went out. It was in the next room, at least 30 feet away from the sofa, probably further. Anyway, when I called the electrician and he moved the stove out from the wall, he said, "Hey, there are some glasses under here." Yep. Those $800 glasses were under the stove. Apparently the cat had batted them under there.

Maybe there's a lesson for some people in all of this--pull out the kitchen stove and you just might be amazed to see what's under there. If you have a pet, it is likely there will be something they shoved under there but even without a pet, this is a secret place where missing items go to live.

Last edited by in_newengland; 11-03-2021 at 08:52 PM..

Old 11-03-2021, 07:02 PM

119 posts, read 59,106 times
Check the dryer. It's a time portal.

Old 11-03-2021, 07:24 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,817,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I seem to have the opposite problem.

If I look in drawers, storage bins, closets, or the storage shelves in the basement, stuff seems to appear. Many years ago I bought 30 pieces of underwear, 30 Jerzee pocket T shirts and 30 pairs of socks. That was for convenience when in the RV and Laundromats were inconvenient. Now I have more than I started with. The socks are the same but I have at least an additional dozen pocket T shirts and underwear.

I was getting ready to order some archery gear and when I looked through my stuff, I already had it. I did not order it and have no idea where it came from.
You are clearly a receiving terminus of black holes that suck up other folks stuff.
I am 'bi-terminal'... stuff disappears mysteriously.. and stuff I never purchased appears without reason.
Too bad the socks I discover do not match the ones I lose.

Old 11-03-2021, 09:41 PM

1,204 posts, read 935,110 times
When I moved to my retirement home, I lost my jewelry box. I had a plastic storage box with three “thin†winter coats, felt around in there, no jewelry box. I unpacked everything else. Ten years later, I gave up on ever wearing the thin coats again, and pulled them out to give to the thrift store. Yep, there it was, somehow I had missed the jewelry box when I had felt around a decade ago. There was nothing valuable, just a lot of pretty, fun things I used to wear to work, more in my 20s and 30s than in later years. It was so much fun going through the box and remembering all these different things, and crying a bit over things my mother had given me. But after 10 years I was completely out of the habit of wearing jewelry. I haven’t opened the box again in over a year. But it doesn’t take up much space, and I sort of like keeping it for the memories.

Old 11-03-2021, 09:46 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,034,410 times
2 years ago I got worried Alzheimers was starting in my brain when our checkbook went missing, it never gets taken out of the house, always kept in a certain drawer. Husband says he didn't move it/take it. So then I worry that he has Alzheimers. Called the bank to close the account after spending days/weeks looking for it. Bank says I will have to close all accounts in order to close the checking account, I got mad at them and said some things and didn't close the account since no money had been taken.

We moved to a new home and it was so exhausting that some boxes didn't get unpacked for 2 years. One box of little used items was finally opened and there the checkbook was. Made no sense at all, had no connection to items in box. Husband denies packing that box lol. All I can figure is it somehow "fell" into it and got taped up. There are more unopened boxes, wonder what else is in them.

Old 11-04-2021, 12:34 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,829,872 times
When something turns up missing and you've searched everywhere possible, go buy a new one and the original will appear.

Even if you wait a year or ten to buy the replacement, shortly afterwards the old one will suddenly surprise you.

Old 11-04-2021, 05:28 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
I had $600 from the lawyer that I was to give my brothers from my mother's estate. Hubby and I were going away on a trip, so I decided to hide it.

When we returned, my memory failed me where I'd hidden it. I looked high and low and finally gave up. I knew it would show up some day. At least my brothers didn't hound me... I hadn't told them about this extra money (was going to surprise them)

Anyway, a couple of months later, I wrote a letter and needed an envelope. There it was, inside an envelope inside a box of envelopes. All's well that ends well.

It WAS a good hiding spot, if I'd only remembered where I hid it.

Old 11-04-2021, 06:29 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I FOUND THEM!

I don't know if I posted or not but two cookie sheets mysteriously disappeared some time ago. I was thinking about it last night. Where did I last see them? Well, they have always been kept in the stove drawer with bakeware.

I was at my neighbors when my thoughts progressed to...what if they were in their place in the stove drawer but there is a slot at the back of the drawer or maybe they somehow got pushed up and over the back of the drawer! AND she lent me this thing called a reacher. Went home, shoved reacher under stove and heard familiar rattling of COOKIE SHEETS!

I took the entire stove drawer out and it revealed both cookie sheets, a dog bone, a bottle cap, and a lot of dust. So there's a success story of where something went and how it came back. Now to find hubby's missing underwear.

Reminds me of when I baked pan cookies. I had two small pans, was going to do two sets, but couldn't find the other pan. I looked in the stove, in the storage, in the dishwasher, under the wreckage on the island but couldn't find it.

Finally, it was located..........being sat in by the active pan.

Old 11-04-2021, 08:05 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Reminds me of when I baked pan cookies. I had two small pans, was going to do two sets, but couldn't find the other pan. I looked in the stove, in the storage, in the dishwasher, under the wreckage on the island but couldn't find it.

Finally, it was located..........being sat in by the active pan.
I moved in April and still haven't figured out where all my cast iron stuff is. Oh well.

I know I have it and know I didn't throw it away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement