Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 09:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
You can also do it online without needing a phone appt.
They will only get in touch with you if there are questions
Can't do it from their website. I'm trying to file for survivor benefits. Their system makes me go through a telephone appointment even though I have all the required information and forms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
You'll probably have better luck visiting your local SSA office. Have you turned 60 yet, because you're not eligible for widow's survivor benefits until then.
I turn 60 in two months. I was told, by the SS person I made a telephone appointment with a year ago, to call back in November for benefits to start by the time I turn 60. And our local SSA office is closed and believe me, there's no way of getting anyone to come to the door or whatever. They are down to five employees and they are working from home, and they are also subbing for OTHER SSA offices. It's crazy. You'd think I live in the sticks but I actually don't.

Old 11-03-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Oh, I see from your thread on the Grief and Mourning forum you've already dealt with them. Good luck! I was able to take care of all my SS needs in person, and my local office was extremely helpful to the point of assisting me in planning whether to take my SS early or waiting until FRA. But that was also way pre-pandemic too.
Yep, the pandemic and then their office subsequently flooding (earlier this year) has changed a lot of their mode of services.

I am still dealing with them. I haven't got an appointment YET. AUGH!!!!!!

Old 11-03-2021, 10:20 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I turn 60 in two months. I was told, by the SS person I made a telephone appointment with a year ago, to call back in November for benefits to start by the time I turn 60. And our local SSA office is closed and believe me, there's no way of getting anyone to come to the door or whatever. They are down to five employees and they are working from home, and they are also subbing for OTHER SSA offices. It's crazy. You'd think I live in the sticks but I actually don't.
I don’t get it. There seem to be no productivity metrics for SSA employees at all. I also can’t fathom the 100% remote thing. They’re vaccinated. They’d be fired otherwise. There is no shortage of N95 masks. There has been 18 months to address air flow and filtering issues in office buildings. Get to work. If you’re not productive, you’re terminated with cause.

Old 11-03-2021, 10:33 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,631,320 times
KA,

Be aware you are not restricted to your "nearest" local SSA office for help. See if there is a nearby, small town location to call for appt. Avoid any big-city locations.

Good Luck........

Old 11-03-2021, 10:46 AM

3,050 posts, read 3,319,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
A couple of weeks ago I noticed the account that receives SS payments had an additional small payment. It left me scratching my head. Yesterday I received a notice telling me they had miscalculated my 2019 benefit.

They didn't have to do that. I would have never noticed I was missing a few hundred bucks. Plus, I received a check from our Palo Alto clinic as well. Apparently I double-paid. Oops.

I wonder how many other people are getting a "Christmas bonus" this season?
It is possible if 2019 was the last year you worked they adjusted your benefit. Watch your next check if you get another bonus there. You can always go to myaccount.com at SS and see your benefit payments.

As for Christmas bonus everyone should get in December a letter explaining how the COLA applies to them and how much Medicare premiums go up. A little sugar to go with a lump of coal.

Old 11-03-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I don’t get it. There seem to be no productivity metrics for SSA employees at all. I also can’t fathom the 100% remote thing. They’re vaccinated. They’d be fired otherwise. There is no shortage of N95 masks. There has been 18 months to address air flow and filtering issues in office buildings. Get to work. If you’re not productive, you’re terminated with cause.
I don't get it either but it's not like I can do anything about it.

Old 11-03-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
KA,

Be aware you are not restricted to your "nearest" local SSA office for help. See if there is a nearby, small town location to call for appt. Avoid any big-city locations.

Good Luck........
Thank you - from what the woman told me yesterday, the other smaller towns are inundated too, and using them for "back up." Who knows - I will try to call around.

Fluffy, I am so sorry - I didn't mean to take over the thread! AUGH!!!!!!

Old 11-03-2021, 11:28 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,969,243 times
Quote:
A couple of weeks ago I noticed the account that receives SS payments had an additional small payment. It left me scratching my head. Yesterday I received a notice telling me they had miscalculated my 2019 benefit.

<snip>

Yes happy with the surprised "Christmas bonus" but mine was from the IRS. They direct deposit an amount over $2K into my checking account. Who would've thought?

Old 11-03-2021, 05:42 PM

2,525 posts, read 1,948,294 times
Quote:

They didn't have to do that. I would have never noticed I was missing a few hundred bucks. Plus, I received a check from our Palo Alto clinic as well. Apparently I double-paid. Oops.

fluffythewondercat --
I'd like to hear more about your 'additional payment' from SSA.

Was 2019 your last working year ?? Was it the first year you collected SocSec ?? Do you think this deposit might be part of any of the COVID Relief Bills ??

Should we all be looking for a Christmas Bonus ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement