Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2021, 12:48 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,643,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
When I was given the senior discount at Krispy Kreme.
Guess the gray hair counts for something!
Not 65 yet, but getting there - if I'm lucky.
Wait. Krispy Kreme has a senior discount???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2021, 01:15 PM

10,990 posts, read 6,860,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastfire View Post
I am 79 and am finally slowing down just a little. I actually am doing great physically but my desire to ”experience” things is waning. I seem to be repeating, repeating, repeating. Bored....I go to the gym, I babysit, I meet with friends, I paint, etc.....I want to GO TO MARS and have a thrill. Guess I am getting old.
I'd like to jump out of an airplane or bungee jump in New Zealand. Not sure that can happen though! I'd have to check with my hip surgeon

Old 11-06-2021, 01:15 PM

768 posts, read 858,678 times
Last year when I had to have my left foot amputated due to cancer. Up until then, I didn't visit the doctor much, didn't take any meds --still don't-- now I walk with a prosthetic which doesn't really show under pants....only when I wear shorts. But, it takes you right smack from feeling fairly young in your heart of hearts, to knowing your age when it is written on surgical notes.

Old 11-06-2021, 01:19 PM

My father told me he didn't feel old until he was 83. That's when his aches and pains and "old age" illnesses started. He was in great shape. He's still alive and will be 100 next year.

Old 11-06-2021, 01:27 PM

308 posts, read 211,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I'm 76 years old. Everything I own hurts all day long. My daily med regimen is longer than our shopping list.

But, I get up every day. Enjoy the theater, fine dining and concerts (even while COVID is still rampant)

We socialize with lots of friends, water aerobics three times a week and acupuncture treatments weekly as needed.

As long as I wake up, can take care of myself, wipe my own a$$ and know who I am and what I am doing, I AM NOT OLD!
Yeah...that's probably my biggest fear...even more than a wheelchair...the thought of having somebody bathing me or wiping my....
Unfortunately;being a life-time loner,introvert,antisocial type I never cultivated relationships,friendships,etc....so that's my future.
Amazon should sell self-euthanasia kits

Old 11-06-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I'm 76 years old. Everything I own hurts all day long. My daily med regimen is longer than our shopping list.

But, I get up every day. Enjoy the theater, fine dining and concerts (even while COVID is still rampant)

We socialize with lots of friends, water aerobics three times a week and acupuncture treatments weekly as needed.

As long as I wake up, can take care of myself, wipe my own a$$ and know who I am and what I am doing, I AM NOT OLD!
I love this! You have the zest for life! My biggest fear is getting dementia and being abused in a care facility. I just found out that a brilliant and wise teacher out of my past has developed dementia in the last year. He is 79 or 80, I believe. He is very revered and loved, so he's got excellent care and his wife had a successful go fund me to assist with expenses for part time adult day care. So hard to imagine that such a brilliant and insightful mind is like a little child now (for now).

Old 11-06-2021, 01:49 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I love this! You have the zest for life! My biggest fear is getting dementia and being abused in a care facility. I just found out that a brilliant and wise teacher out of my past has developed dementia in the last year. He is 79 or 80, I believe. He is very revered and loved, so he's got excellent care and his wife had a successful go fund me to assist with expenses for part time adult day care. So hard to imagine that such a brilliant and insightful mind is like a little child now (for now).
My father-in-law and father suffered dementia pretty severely. That's my biggest fear as well.

A friend of mine's mother just died at 95 from cancer. In her case, she was still sharp and lucid and had to be given enough facts to convince her that her situation was morbid enough that she really wouldn't want to go through chemotherapy and try to live afterward. That was hard on my friend, but I think I got him to realize that her knowing who he was right up to the moment she closed her eyes was much better than having gone through years of dementia.

Old 11-06-2021, 02:03 PM

Yes, it is concerning. My father has a friend who is 102. He was a medical doctor. He is still very lucid. He took care of his wife for 12 years before she died of Alzheimer's. Luckily, after retiring they got to travel around the world for 3 years on their boat before her dementia set in.

Old 11-06-2021, 07:28 PM

65 posts, read 38,247 times
Recently, I had eye surgery for a hole in my retina. When I asked the doctor how that happens, his reply was "age and bad luck". I realized then that I'm now getting old people's problems along with...arthritis, stiff neck, joint aches, stamina not a great as it used to be when out and about. Many more doctors appointment to those doctors you don't go to when you are young, like cariologist, pulmonary, etc. but mostly to just check the boxes that all is okay in those regards (they are) before any real issues arise. Yeh, I'm 62, my body feels older, and my mind is so much younger. As my dad used to say, "Oy vey!!"

Old 11-06-2021, 08:13 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,932,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cethtot View Post
I'm 60. "A man is as old as he feels..." In that case, I'm 34.
A woman is as old as she feels too. In that case, I'm 9 years old and not 69 ;-) I still like to climb trees or hills and play chase/fetch with the dogs.

I know that I'm getting older every day. There is no denying that I am not as strong and healthy as I was in my youth. However, I am doing everything that I can to stay as active and strong as I could possibly be.

"Use it or lose it" is a fact and not just a cliché. As we get older, we have to work harder to maintain our strength and flexibility.

I did feel old two days ago when I tried to jump rope after not doing it for about 4 years. I dug out the old jump rope for my daily aerobic exercise when my treadmill malfunctioned. First I could not jump high enough to clear the rope. When I jumped higher to clear it, I was out of breath after 10 jumps. After a lot of huffing and puffing, I managed to get up to 20 jumps. I hope that with practice, I could get back to my old pace of 50 jumps in one stretch.

The same goes with my walking pace. When I started doing my 3 miles or 4k walk on my treadmill 3 months ago (after not doing any 'timed' walk for 4 years), it took 50-52 minutes. I got back to my pace of 47 minutes (with dozens of high intensity, steep inclines minutes intervals) last week.

Last edited by BellaDL; 11-06-2021 at 09:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement