Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 12:27 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times

Advertisements

wow - went outside with my dogs and to gather pecans.

All of a sudden my right knee started hurting. Had to hobble back inside and put some ointment on it

I tell you - just falling apart!! Could be the weather also - we had a freezing cold front come in - 55 degrees!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2021, 12:32 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
A lot of what we have considered the effects of old age are really just a matter of letting ourselves go to pot.

It's being revealed in recent years that as people age, yes, functions become less efficient. But that slowly growing inefficiency can be met with more rigorous habits and activity.

Essentially, older people have to take up the habits of bodybuildings in nutrition and exercise.
Not necessarily. I never let myself "go to pot" and was very active all my life. Worked out, etc. But I got arthritis anyway. Lifestyle doesn't have much to do with arthritis.

I think I felt old for the first time when I got my (faulty) hip replacement at age 61. Activity was limited after the dislocations started and I felt I'd aged 20 years. Physically, I feel ancient at 66 now. Don't know if anything will improve. No body-building with arthritis, lol.

But good for the rest of you who are going strong at this age!

Old 11-04-2021, 01:37 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
The only time I actually feel old at 66 is if I’m fighting a cold/flu and my bounce back time is slower and I look like I’ve been dragged through a bush backwards. The rest of the time my stamina and energy is top notch if I keep up the swimming or hiking.

Old 11-04-2021, 02:25 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Not necessarily. I never let myself "go to pot" and was very active all my life. Worked out, etc. But I got arthritis anyway. Lifestyle doesn't have much to do with arthritis.

I think I felt old for the first time when I got my (faulty) hip replacement at age 61. Activity was limited after the dislocations started and I felt I'd aged 20 years. Physically, I feel ancient at 66 now. Don't know if anything will improve. No body-building with arthritis, lol.

But good for the rest of you who are going strong at this age!
True - I exercised for years. We had to meet physical standards - running, push-ups, sit-ups. In my career field you had to be able to lift 50 lbs overhead and 75 in general.

I only got hurt once trying to lift something that I thought was lighter than it appeared.

But I healed up from that with physical therapy.

I do think being active when younger has helped.

Old 11-04-2021, 02:40 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,795,370 times
Three days ago. I’m still processing it, so no immediate thoughts on the matter.

Old 11-04-2021, 03:06 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I'm 69 now, but about 5 years ago I was getting dinner at El Pollo Loco. The cashier was a young 20's girl who was SMOKING HOT. As I was checking her out, she handed me my food with a smile. When I checked the receipt, I saw that she had applied the senior discount without me asking. That's the moment I realized that I was old.
Just because she noticed that you were older doesn't mean she didn't think YOU were hot also!

I find myself very attracted to guys who look like Santa Claus. Very sexy.

Old 11-04-2021, 03:23 PM

1,161 posts, read 466,636 times
I will be 72 in a few months and have never thought of myself as old at all. I've kept myself at a near-Olympic level of fitness, weigh the same as I did when I was 20, and do pretty much everything I did at 52 or 32, albeit somewhat more slowly and gently. As my orthopedist recently said, "What are you squawking about - you look like you're 50 and have the bones of a 20-year-old."

Am I closer to death? Sure, but that was true when I aged from 24 to 25. I have always kept the reality of death in the forefront of my mind, the only difference being that death is now very definitely on the horizon. This is the only sense in which I acknowledge being old, but it has no effect on my day-to-day existence.

"You're only as old as you feel" is surely true, and I don't feel old at all.

Old 11-04-2021, 04:00 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kroadking View Post
Turned 65 in June........and noticed over the past year that every time I bump my arms against anything they bruise and in most cases breaks the skin and bleed. I asked my Dr about it and he basically laughed and said "YEP, that's old age". The problem is that I'm always working on something and bumping into things all the time. Guess it's time for long sleeved shirts all the time.
I totally get this; it happens to me too. Unfortunately I am building something right now, and there is a lot of work to get done. Sometimes looks like I have been in a fight...but I don't know who won.

Old 11-04-2021, 06:08 PM

7,566 posts, read 3,241,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkle Berserkle View Post
I will be 72 in a few months and have never thought of myself as old at all. I've kept myself at a near-Olympic level of fitness, weigh the same as I did when I was 20, and do pretty much everything I did at 52 or 32, albeit somewhat more slowly and gently. As my orthopedist recently said, "What are you squawking about - you look like you're 50 and have the bones of a 20-year-old."

Am I closer to death? Sure, but that was true when I aged from 24 to 25. I have always kept the reality of death in the forefront of my mind, the only difference being that death is now very definitely on the horizon. This is the only sense in which I acknowledge being old, but it has no effect on my day-to-day existence.

"You're only as old as you feel" is surely true, and I don't feel old at all.

You're old if people are fake complementing you (because they think you need it).

Old 11-04-2021, 06:12 PM

1,092 posts, read 832,822 times
Just turned 71. Have had one knee replaced. Just recently, it was suggested I have the OTHER replaced, as well as left shoulder! Cannot do near the things is once could. Cold REALLY gets to me now. So, at 71, I have decided I am "getting old."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement