Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2021, 10:47 AM

12,065 posts, read 10,340,527 times

Advertisements

Another body ache today.

I was mopping and after I finished my left foot started hurting. I did crack a bone in there about 30 some years ago - so this weather could be affecting it. But I am hobbling around now. The right knee is fine now - knock on wood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2021, 11:13 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,351,674 times
My mom always said that the 50s were the "youth of old age." She said she felt good at 60 but she didn't have much good to say about 70.

Old 11-05-2021, 11:31 AM

14,984 posts, read 9,910,990 times
Not yet at 69yrs., but this is a finite observation. I'm on the final approach, but my landing gear is still up. Do not have visual yet.

However my days of doing things into the wee hours.... to get-er-done, are over.

Old 11-05-2021, 12:03 PM

8,338 posts, read 4,476,887 times
As the majority of people said here, "old" keeps moving further into the future :-). At 61.5, I keep thinking how various senior perks that can get (or will be able to get in the near future), or even just some youngster offering me his/her seat on public transportation, make me feel as though I am taking something fraudulently, like a kid buying booze with someone else's ID showing a much older age - because, frankly, I do not feel substantially different at 61 from what I felt like at 16, and can stand on public transportation just the same as I could then (plus certainly have an easier time paying full price for anything than I had when I was young, even if I am starting to get a senior discount on some things now). Anyhow, I think "old" could be somewhere around 85+, maybe?

Old 11-05-2021, 01:16 PM

316 posts, read 218,062 times
Yesterday I received my Medicare card......I will be 65 next month,so I'm officially an old geezer now,though I've felt like an old geezer for a while now.

Taking those 11 medications for HBP,diabetes and anxiety isn't helping much either...I also have the testosterone of a 90 year old man and TRT is part of my routine. If I actually didn't take good care of myself by using my stationary bike and not eating too much crap;I'd be dead now...
but maybe that'd be an improvement on my current quality of life.

My PAD has made me basically a shut-in. I have an almost constant fear of tripping and falling when I walk on un-level or unfamiliar spots. I started using a cane about 2 years ago and I am now depending on it more and more. If I walk on grass,un-paved surfaces or on parking lots that have dips in the concrete,I keep looking for something to grab on to with my free hand,as I get the sensation that I will fall. Taking a shower is a nightmare;and drying with the towel is even worse...I can't even look up while standing.Even If I could afford to see the Rolling Stones again;it would be stressing to walk up or down the steep stairs inside the stadium.Have not been to a movie or a concert in over 10 years,so it's a double whammy of feeling depressed. I have frequent nightmares about being in a large empty field that I am required to walk across,and I'm also scared that I will become a target for street criminals when they see an old guy walking slowly with a cane while looking down at the pavement.
I take some supplements,including vitamin D,C,B12,COQ10; and some other stuff that's supposed to help with the neuropathy portion of my PAD;but frankly,it has not helped and in fact my walking situation is slowly getting worse. I just received a summons for Jury Duty and I hope I can get a letter from the Doctor to avoid having to go and walk across those risky parking lots in a seedy area of town.
So there we go...I started feeling old at age 50 or so,when my incurable condition begin affecting me and my quality of life went down the toilet.

Old 11-05-2021, 02:40 PM

28,720 posts, read 18,940,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Currently 68, retired just short of 65. The day of my retirement party, I slipped on black ice at my house and really felt the banging of the fall and realized that falling was now an issue and that it felt different from falling when "younger."

But getting older was certainly a fair trade for being able to get Medicare and stop working. All other ages seem like, well, just numbers.

Off for my horseback riding lesson where I certainly fear falling, as do many riders.
That's the reason I finally gave up road cycling.

Old 11-05-2021, 02:44 PM

7,502 posts, read 6,311,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I have always--and still do--consider "old" to be 17 years older than whatever I am.
I used to say the same thing, then I turned 84. I think I may be old.

Old 11-05-2021, 02:46 PM

12,065 posts, read 10,340,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSLPPTSO13 View Post
Yesterday I received my Medicare card......I will be 65 next month,so I'm officially an old geezer now,though I've felt like an old geezer for a while now.

Taking those 11 medications for HBP,diabetes and anxiety isn't helping much either...I also have the testosterone of a 90 year old man and TRT is part of my routine. If I actually didn't take good care of myself by using my stationary bike and not eating too much crap;I'd be dead now...

My PAD has made me basically a shut-in. I have an almost constant fear of tripping and falling when I walk on un-level or unfamiliar spots. I started using a cane about 2 years ago and I am now depending on it more and more. If I walk on grass,un-paved surfaces or on parking lots that have dips in the concrete,I keep looking for something to grab on to with my free hand,as I get the sensation that I will fall. Taking a shower is a nightmare;and drying with the towel is even worse...I can't even look up while standing.Even If I could afford to see the Rolling Stones again;it would be stressing to walk up or down the steep stairs inside the stadium.Have not been to a movie or a concert in over 10 years,so it's a double whammy of feeling depressed. I have frequent nightmares about being in a large empty field that I am required to walk across,and I'm also scared that I will become a target for street criminals when they see an old guy walking slowly with a cane while looking down at the pavement.
I take some supplements,including vitamin D,C,B12,COQ10; and some other stuff that's supposed to help with the neuropathy portion of my PAD;but frankly,it has not helped and in fact my walking situation is slowly getting worse. I just received a summons for Jury Duty and I hope I can get a letter from the Doctor to avoid having to go and walk across those risky parking lots in a seedy area of town.
So there we go...I started feeling old at age 50 or so,when my incurable condition begin affecting me and my quality of life went down the toilet.
you should be able to cut jury duty due to being a senior.

Old 11-05-2021, 03:40 PM

7,846 posts, read 3,436,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSLPPTSO13 View Post

Have you tried some extremely restricted diets (like Keto or Carnivore) along with some water fasting? As I have aged I have had to let go of dairy, wheat/gluten and sugar (processed carbs). Basically meat and broccoli is the diet. Or some people go from Keto to Carnivore too.

Old 11-05-2021, 03:59 PM

1,208 posts, read 944,498 times
So after reading the post about hill street blues I looked up the Frank and Joyce actors and while yes, they’re looking much older, I think they’re looking pretty darn good still! I’d certainly have dinner with him or age like her. Bob Evans at 5, Frank, senior menu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement