Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2021, 12:17 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,065,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Having no mortgage was a large factor in me retiring at 46.

Now, I'm used to paying prop taxes only, now. It allows me to buy more toys now. And spoil the grandkids.

Probably shoulda kept that house, I know.
Bruh, you had money to buy toys and spoil the grandkids but you gave it to the bank! Are they thankful? Heck no! If you ever wanted/needed that money back they can deny you or charge you an arm and a leg. So you decreased your liquidity not increased it. That is all the mortgage people are trying to point out. You are just fooling yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2021, 12:21 PM

43,059 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
Bruh, you had money to buy toys and spoil the grandkids but you gave it to the bank! Are they thankful? Heck no! If you ever wanted/needed that money back they can deny you or charge you an arm and a leg. So you decreased your liquidity not increased it. That is all the mortgage people are trying to point out. You are just fooling yourself.
That wasn't your money to begin with..a mortgage is a loan that you have to pay back.
That's not YOUR money to take back. It was never YOUR money to begin with.

Old 11-10-2021, 01:00 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,746,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
That wasn't your money to begin with..a mortgage is a loan that you have to pay back.
That's not YOUR money to take back. It was never YOUR money to begin with.
Nope, because MY money is out there working, so I don't have to.

This is just one of those choices where there will always be people on both sides who feel that the other side is wrong (crazy, blind, foolish, etc, choose your favorite adjective). It's a no-win argument because no answer is right for everyone (not even "usually", as in the above article which I can't read. Quoting a summary paragraph of the "why" would've been nice). There are too many variables between people's circumstances to make blanket statements. For some people, any risk is too much risk, or they just like the simplicity of paying it off.

Old 11-10-2021, 01:05 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
For the $400 mountain, paying it off means everything. For the $2000 molehill, paying it off means nothing. That is exactly why this thread will never go away; the two different camps seem incapable of yielding their position on the matter because of personal preferences.

I just love breaking out the popcorn and kicking back for the fireworks!
People can do what they want. The problem is that those that pay off their mortgages are being accused of being less financially savvy.

Old 11-10-2021, 01:46 PM

43,059 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Nope, because MY money is out there working, so I don't have to.

This is just one of those choices where there will always be people on both sides who feel that the other side is wrong (crazy, blind, foolish, etc, choose your favorite adjective). It's a no-win argument because no answer is right for everyone (not even "usually", as in the above article which I can't read. Quoting a summary paragraph of the "why" would've been nice). There are too many variables between people's circumstances to make blanket statements. For some people, any risk is too much risk, or they just like the simplicity of paying it off.
A mortgage is a loan of someone else's money to you. How can you say "nope" as if it wasn't a fact ?

Old 11-10-2021, 03:01 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Rather than giving a gut feel opinion, I ran this scenario through firecalc. 30-year fixed loan at 3%, with the borrowed amount invested in S&P 500.

It gives a success rate of 93.9%. So yes, taking the loan is very likely a winning move, but historically speaking there is some chance of failure.

Old 11-10-2021, 03:28 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Rather than giving a gut feel opinion, I ran this scenario through firecalc. 30-year fixed loan at 3%, with the borrowed amount invested in S&P 500.

It gives a success rate of 93.9%. So yes, taking the loan is very likely a winning move, but historically speaking there is some chance of failure.
If, if, if the S&P 500 continues to pay at something better than 3%, and if the banks do not get a wild-hair and decide to foreclose on your mortgage, then sure.

If I had a well that produced corn whiskey, I would, ...

I suspect that we are re-living the Roaring twenties right now, prosperity is all that we can see as far as the eye can see. Next week I expect our house will be plumbed in to the free bubble-up line and then it will be rainbow stew for everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRDOrCFIY4c&t=15s

Old 11-10-2021, 03:45 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
If, if, if the S&P 500 continues to pay at something better than 3%, and if the banks do not get a wild-hair and decide to foreclose on your mortgage, then sure.
There's a bit more to it than just the 3%. Like any portfolio survival analysis that uses a volatile asset, it depends which are the good years and which are the bad years (sequence of returns).

As far as a lender calling in a mortgage loan... well that's roughly #852 on my list of concerns. We have learned a thing or two since the 1930s.

Old 11-10-2021, 03:51 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
That is good to hear. We've been home owners for close to 30 years. It'll be nice to not have a mortgage to think about. Ideally, we'll have our living expenses reduced as we head into retirement. Smaller paid off home, empty nest, fewer vehicles to insure, smaller utility bills, smaller food bills, close proximity to stores/doctors/restaurants so less driving and less gas used. If we can do that, we should be pretty well set to have some fun in retirement, too. And we'll be prepared to weather any downturns in the economy.
Amen to all of this!

Old 11-10-2021, 03:53 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
People can do what they want. The problem is that those that pay off their mortgages are being accused of being less financially savvy.
True, when I have said over and over and over again that my paid for home is only PART (and not the bulk of) my overall investment portfolio. I don't have a cash flow problem either. Far from it. It's just one of many investments. Some produce more (and are a higher risk) and some produce less (and are a lower risk).

I just met with my financial advisor yesterday and he's very pleased with my overall goals and plan and liquidity etc. etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement