Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 06:53 AM

9,614 posts, read 5,405,530 times

Advertisements

the Coco Solo commissary.
I was a commissary hippie
4 of us had the same prom dress. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2021, 07:04 AM

8,839 posts, read 5,171,799 times
My mom didn`t drive, so she took the bus to shop for clothes. The only clothing stores on the busline were high end....so I didn`t have many clothes, but the ones I did have were expensive. And there were the hand me downs from family...which to were very nice.

Old 11-07-2021, 07:13 AM

11,099 posts, read 7,070,069 times
Lots of places in the 'burbs. May Company (related to Macy's), The Broadway, Judy's, Zody's, KMart, FedMart, White Front, The Akron (it was a precursor to Cost Plus World Market), Contempo Casuals, the list goes on. My mother wouldn't buy from Judy's. As a Depression kid she felt it was too expensive so I had to settle for Zody's and White Front and occasionally The Broadway. Once in a while Buffum's but it was further away.

Nowadays my friends and I shop at thrift stores (love them - have only met one snob who "won't wear thrift store clothes"), Costco and Walmart.

When I lived in San Francisco the fine old stores still existed: iMagnin's etc.

Old 11-07-2021, 07:15 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,550,462 times
I grew up in the UK. Clothes came from Marks and Spencer, British Home Stores, C & A, Dorothy Perkins, Richards Shop, Littlewoods, Debenhams.

Old 11-07-2021, 08:10 AM

6,331 posts, read 4,253,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
I grew up in the UK. Clothes came from Marks and Spencer, British Home Stores, C & A, Dorothy Perkins, Richards Shop, Littlewoods, Debenhams.
Same, although up north we also had Binn’s, Fenwicks, Shephards, and then there was the grainger Indoor market.

Old 11-07-2021, 08:26 AM

397 posts, read 286,654 times
I was born in Covina, so lots of time at Eastland shopping center, May Co. for clothes and lunch at Cliftons Cafeteria.

Old 11-07-2021, 08:46 AM

11,176 posts, read 6,772,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Yeah, I remember those but they were late comers along with Robinson's, May Co, The Broadway...., and were considered high end, at least where I came from. Who remembers Zodie's?

Sears and Monkey Wards were staples for back to school.
Your memory is great! You're right, it was May Co., not Macy's. I had forgotten about the Broadway and Robinson's. We used to go to those. Someone mention I-Magnin which I had forgotten about.

Zodie's, lol. That rings a bell. I'll have to ask my sisters if they remember that. We did go to Sears and Monkey Wards, but not for clothes. More for hardware, housewares.

And Thom McAn shoes! That's a blast from the past.

So far, the common denominators seem to be Sears and Penney's.

Old 11-07-2021, 08:48 AM

11,176 posts, read 6,772,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Buy? My mom made them all!
Good for your mom! My mom never learned to sew so neither did I, lol. As time went on, it wasn't cheaper anymore to sew clothes. My sister had a sewing machine, but I don't remember her actually making anything of note.

Old 11-07-2021, 08:59 AM

11,099 posts, read 7,070,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Your memory is great! You're right, it was May Co., not Macy's. I had forgotten about the Broadway and Robinson's. We used to go to those. Someone mention I-Magnin which I had forgotten about.

Zodie's, lol. That rings a bell. I'll have to ask my sisters if they remember that. We did go to Sears and Monkey Wards, but not for clothes. More for hardware, housewares.

And Thom McAn shoes! That's a blast from the past.

So far, the common denominators seem to be Sears and Penney's.
But of course, Sears and Monkey Ward's! How soon we forget LOL I forgot about Robinson's too. Thom McAn's, Karl's Shoes... etc.

I bought my first record album - the Beatles - at Zody's. Records and clothes.

Old 11-07-2021, 09:05 AM

11,273 posts, read 9,894,595 times
KMart. We were poor growing up, so we got 3-5 new outfits when the school year started, one new outfit for Christmas, and one new Easter outfit for church and whenever we had to dress up. The rest was covered by making do with last year's stuff or hand-me-downs from older siblings. My mom was also a pretty good seamstress and made some of our dresses or skirts, but that would be included in the number listed above. We got most of our new underwear and PJs as Christmas gifts from Grandma, always a disappointing, but necessary, gift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement