Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 09:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,217,389 times

Advertisements

My grandmother (and sometimes my mom) made a lot of my clothes. But I also shopped at a big department store called Gayfers and also at Casual Corner - remember that chain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2021, 10:14 AM

14,284 posts, read 14,831,134 times
Early on shopping in local discount stores, bargain basement stores, etc. In my late 20's (1968) and early 30's, I upped my game to Sears as I had job that required me to wear a shirt and tie with either a sport coat or a suit. Had my first custom made suit done at age 35. Do you dress left or right sir?

Over the years I have bought a lot from LL Bean, Brooks Brothers, Marshall Fields, Jordan Marsh. I learned along the way to buy a brand name suit at discount or close out and take it to my own tailor to be properly fit. I still favor LLB Dress Chinos. Most of my dress now is golfer casual. Brand names but at closeout. I sit here now in Hanes, sweats and I will wear them when I go out grocery shopping later.............LOL

Old 11-07-2021, 11:15 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,140,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Since shopping has changed so drastically from when we were kids, it might be fun to discuss where we got clothes way back then. Before online, before Walmart, etc.

In SoCal, we had two big department stores: Buffums and Bullocks. Anybody remember those? I don't think they were chains, but who knows. My mom grew up with the Depression, so though we did have money, we wore hand-me-downs and she'd wait until clothes were marked down 4 times and were in the "basement" of the store before we could buy them. I thought this was normal, lol.

In teenage years, I think it was Macy's.

New clothes were very few and far between. My mom liked to dress us sisters in matching dresses too. Can you imagine that flying today?
Belk's and sometimes Ivey's, all from McAlister Square in Greenville, SC.

Old 11-07-2021, 11:21 AM

11,092 posts, read 6,982,693 times
Quote:
Since shopping has changed so drastically from when we were kids, it might be fun to discuss where we got clothes way back then. Before online, before Walmart, etc.

In SoCal, we had two big department stores: Buffums and Bullocks. Anybody remember those? I don't think they were chains, but who knows. My mom grew up with the Depression, so though we did have money, we wore hand-me-downs and she'd wait until clothes were marked down 4 times and were in the "basement" of the store before we could buy them. I thought this was normal, lol.

New clothes were very few and far between. My mom liked to dress us sisters in matching dresses too. Can you imagine that flying today?
I can't even imagine having to dress like a sister. How did it go for you two?

I remember Buffum's in Pomona (it's now a medical school). My mom sent me to sewing school in a building next door to Buffum's when it was still open. I learned to sew. Was so annoyed with that lady because she was a stickler, but boy did I learn to sew. My first purchase out of high school was to buy a Singer sewing machine at Sears on credit for $120 LOL. (I was making $1.25/hr at the time )

Bullock's was in L.A. out on Wilshire, right? Was there one in Orange County? Pasadena?

Old 11-07-2021, 04:24 PM

1,744 posts, read 964,514 times
Quote:

Both Buffum’s and Bullock’s were chain department stores. Bullock’s was high end and Buffum’s catered to the more mature customer. When it came to back to school shopping, when I was younger I remember most of our shopping was at Zody’s and Penney’s. My mom also shopped at The Broadway when she wanted something better. I think my mom also bought some of my clothes at Miller’s Outpost. When I got old enough to start buying my own clothes, I used to like going to Robinson’s.

Old 11-07-2021, 04:29 PM

11,092 posts, read 6,982,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
Both Buffum’s and Bullock’s were chain department stores. Bullock’s was high end and Buffum’s catered to the more mature customer. When it came to back to school shopping, when I was younger I remember most of our shopping was at Zody’s and Penney’s. My mom also shopped at The Broadway when she wanted something better. I think my mom also bought some of my clothes at Miller’s Outpost. When I got old enough to start buying my own clothes, I used to like going to Robinson’s.
While I was a sophomore in college I worked at Miller's Surplus before it became Miller's Outpost. The original store in Pomona, California. It was like an Army/Navy store at that time. Much different. Miller's Outpost became a more mainstream clothing store and they dropped all the cool "surplus", military and hunting, etc.

Old 11-07-2021, 04:40 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,190,177 times
We usually shopped for school clothes at Montgomery Ward, or my favorite, now-defunct department stores in the DC area, Woodward and Lothrop, and The Hecht Company.

However, my favorite school clothes of all time were found in a used clothing store near our house. I got two absolutely beautiful Guatemalan skirts with gorgeous woven designs around the hems for 50 cents each, and they fit me perfectly. In the late 60s, I was the envy of all my little hippie friends with those cool skirts that no one else had.

Old 11-07-2021, 05:47 PM

10,380 posts, read 8,623,864 times
We had a local store called mervyns which grew to many stores. They became pretty big. Sadly all the stores closed.

Old 11-07-2021, 05:53 PM

26,665 posts, read 28,797,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My grandmother (and sometimes my mom) made a lot of my clothes. But I also shopped at a big department store called Gayfers and also at Casual Corner - remember that chain?
We had Casual Corner. I had no idea it was a chain. There was a girl in school who told me her mother owned it. Maybe she meant that she managed it. In elementary school we all had to have these cardigan sweaters in pastel colors. I think they were made of orlon or something like that. They pilled easily and we had to brush them every night before putting them away.

Old 11-07-2021, 06:20 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,268,695 times
My parents took us shopping twice a year at Robert Hall and at Lauria's in Philadelphia. Robert Hall was a chain of clothing stores in the northeast USA and closed in 1977, while Lauria's was a local store located on the Roosevelt Blvd in Northeast Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement