Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 03:25 PM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times

Advertisements

Well, just got back from the dentist -- and not as bad as I feared. One more tooth in back needs to come out, one more root canal needed, and I will need to resume my regular periodontal routine (scaling every two years with maintenance cleanings every three months), but that is it. "Net price" was about $4,000 for the initial exams, whole mouth x-rays, scalings, root canal and extractions, but with the in-house dental insurance, it will be to closer to $3,000.

Could have been a LOT worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2021, 04:13 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,373,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Well, just got back from the dentist -- and not as bad as I feared. One more tooth in back needs to come out, one more root canal needed, and I will need to resume my regular periodontal routine (scaling every two years with maintenance cleanings every three months), but that is it. "Net price" was about $4,000 for the initial exams, whole mouth x-rays, scalings, root canal and extractions, but with the in-house dental insurance, it will be to closer to $3,000.

Could have been a LOT worse.

Huge congratulations on getting that done (even if it's not yet ALL done)!!

Old 04-03-2022, 01:48 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
I only wear Unscented deodorant, and SURE is the one that always has Unscented along with their scented ones on the grocery store shelf. I don't want my pit stick to compete with my perfume when I wear it.

I have been around 2 female friends who gagged me. They both smelled like warm "baby powder", only not the fresh scent of a real baby. I know it was from their scented deodorant and/or their scented mini-pad or both. It radiated from them both........
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I have not had covid or lost my sense of smell. Actually my sense of smell is quite good. I find artificial scents and flavors to be totally obnoxious. Sure makes a scent free deodorant. You can get laundry and cleaning products that are also scent free. It might help.
I wanted to share an update here. I did go out and buy the Sure. I really had a preference for the stick, the solid deodorant.

It didn’t work. Here’s the deal. Products that are unscented can be marketed as unscented and they are not required to disclose whether or not there is a masking fragrance in it. And a lot of times there is. I know right

I know right? Sure was fine for a couple of days which is my pattern, and on day three I got the rancid oil smell again.

I decided to try a very old brand that I used long ago — Unscented Ban roll-on. It actually has apparently natural fragrances in it to mask? And they are listed in the ingredients.

It’s a pain, but I dry my hair, so I can take a minute to dry my pits. And no rancid cooking oil smell.

Old 04-03-2022, 10:47 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I wanted to share an update here. I did go out and buy the Sure. I really had a preference for the stick, the solid deodorant.

It didn’t work. Here’s the deal. Products that are unscented can be marketed as unscented and they are not required to disclose whether or not there is a masking fragrance in it. And a lot of times there is. I know right

I know right? Sure was fine for a couple of days which is my pattern, and on day three I got the rancid oil smell again.

I decided to try a very old brand that I used long ago — Unscented Ban roll-on. It actually has apparently natural fragrances in it to mask? And they are listed in the ingredients.

It’s a pain, but I dry my hair, so I can take a minute to dry my pits. And no rancid cooking oil smell.
I can't stand artificially scented products and I use Tom's of Maine stick deodorant. It doesn't smell, is non scented, and lasts forever. This is strange but remember at the start of Covid when we were panicking and people were buying tons of toilet paper? Well, I bought four Tom's deodorants and just today I finally had to throw one away and the other one is nearly used up. I never paid much attention to how long things last but I think two deodorants in two years is pretty good.

Where was I reading?--"fragrance" really means artificial chemicals and those bother a lot of people and often aren't too healthy and "perfume" means natural scent. So if it contains a perfume, then it really does use the essence of something like lilac or rose or vanilla or whatever.

Old 04-03-2022, 11:33 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
The thing that's bothering me the most is the making of wills, POAs, guardianships. I had made a will back when I was married to my ex and was living in another state but when he ran off around age 60, that changed everything.

Then, this past summer, I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer. Fortunately, it was stage one and the hysterectomy is supposed to cure it. I have to be checked every few months for five years though. Well, the experience must have put the fear of God into me because I gritted my teeth and forced myself to write a new will and to get a guardianship. It was awful. I hate stuff like this. I did it as fast as I could by using an online form and getting two neighbors to sign it. That's legal in this state.

But I still feel overwhelmed and am procrastinating again. I am not sure who would pay my bills (POA) if I am not able to. My sister in Virginia is my guardian and she'd be good at paying bills but I pay most of my bills online. Do I give her access to my bank account? And how would she know how much to pay because the bills come here, not to Virginia? (I had POA for my cousin so I know if it becomes long term you just change the address, but what if I am only in the hospital for two months, not ongoing?)

A few apartment neighbors and I went though this recently with another neighbor and we took care of it all but the downside to age restricted living is that everyone here is OLD. Your best and wonderful and helpful neighbor could be dead when you need her.

Additionally, my husband is 82 years old and had a stroke and it's like living in a nightmare sometimes. I won't go into to all of it but just the part that he, too, needs a will and POA and guardian. The stroke crippled his hand so he can't write so I've been making out the rent check by forging his name. Didn't really hit me until I went to have the taxes done and they said he needed to sign it. I told them of the situation and they allowed me to write his name and then mine with the explanation. But now I see that I really need POA for him.

I could do all of this pretty easily with the online forms but I just can't stand it and I cry every time I think of it. It's worse writing his will and other stuff than it was writing my own. He doesn't even have much because he came from the UK 12 years ago and sold everything he had. But he wants to leave an expensive ring to his grandson in England and he also has specific wishes for end of life, etc. Probably I should bite the bullet and just go to a lawyer $$$$$ and get it over with.

Old 04-04-2022, 01:44 AM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
I, for once, have no serious or chronic troubling personal situations. I seem to be stable in my health, finances, and relationships. I got a new hip and my gall stones are behaving and blood pressure is controlled. I just got new glasses. I'm paying more attention to my diet. My only concern is with my daughter who occasionally has a mild dose of drama.

Old 04-04-2022, 07:59 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I can't stand artificially scented products and I use Tom's of Maine stick deodorant. It doesn't smell, is non scented, and lasts forever. This is strange but remember at the start of Covid when we were panicking and people were buying tons of toilet paper? Well, I bought four Tom's deodorants and just today I finally had to throw one away and the other one is nearly used up. I never paid much attention to how long things last but I think two deodorants in two years is pretty good.

Where was I reading?--"fragrance" really means artificial chemicals and those bother a lot of people and often aren't too healthy and "perfume" means natural scent. So if it contains a perfume, then it really does use the essence of something like lilac or rose or vanilla or whatever.
Ever since Covid began, I stopped using deodorant and people social distance at least 6 feet away from me

I may continue this practice even after Covid fades away

Old 04-04-2022, 08:43 PM

308 posts, read 212,589 times
Right now the anxiety of living in Miami...where rents have become unaffordable for most people..where a one bedroom in a safe are now goes for $1800-$2000...and you have to prove you earn 3 times that rent in a month...plus come up with first and last month's deposit...plus moving expenses...
I'ved lived for over 15 years in my 2 bedroom apartment for $1200/month...I've never had a rent increase since I've been living here. The apartment is 3 1/2 miles from work;so my commute is 7 miles total..$40/month in gasoline. The thought of getting a huge rent increase now is so overwhelming that I am literally thinking I could become homeless at age 65 and almost physically handicapped if I can't afford the increase. Moving is not an option...where the heck will I go ?
This is the only place I've ever lived for 55 years...I don't have a social circle or friends or family to be helped by. I've been having nightmares of being evicted and sitting in my car,
It's really getting scary ..and I can feel the stress,,How much more Xoloft can I take??

Old 04-04-2022, 08:45 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Nothing. Life is good.
Well, does Putin’s War count?

Old 04-04-2022, 08:50 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Don't know if this would be considered personal - but summer heat is starting up

And that means it is time to crank up the AC. OMG - I just pray that nothing happens to it. I hate AC issues. I want to get rid of the central unit and install mini-splits. That way if one goes out - you still have others. Maybe this will be the last summer with the darn central unit.

I was told my home was the first house in this town to have central AC. And would you know it - I rented first and no issues - then once I purchased - there you go! LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement