Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2022, 10:01 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times

Advertisements

Time........

Time to get the house, my life in order and how I don't have enough of it.

Of course, the numbers are there to why I don't when it seems I should but I still haven't reached a point where I believe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2022, 10:47 AM

16,077 posts, read 10,735,467 times
Today? I am trying to give a loveseat away. It is a good and comfortable loveseat but used and would benefit from a slipcover (about $30-$50 at Amazon). It is too good to take to the dump. I'm getting a larger couch and need to remove the loveseat to make room. I have had six people say they want it but none have made the effort to come and get it. A few have asked directions but don't show up. Meanwhile I have to tell others that it is being claimed...only to not have it claimed. If I could carry it out to the street -- 150 feet -- maybe it would be picked up, maybe not. The new couch is delivered tomorrow.
So that is what bothers me today.

Old 04-06-2022, 08:31 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,069,999 times
I'm in the process of trying to figure out when to finally retire and what I want to do with my time once I retire. My concern is that I will retire without any goals and will end up waking up in the morning with no idea what to do. That will be the death of me. I do not want to fritter my days away running to Walmart for vitamins or over to Acme for 1/4 lb of cheese or being hijacked into doing a lot of things that I don't want to do simply because I have nothing else to do. I'm not the kind of person who is happy sitting around the house playing Sudoku or going out to eat or to movies. I want to do things that are meaningful to me and will enrich my life, things that I haven't had a chance to do such as improving my skill in a foreign language. This is something I'm thinking about now.

Old 04-06-2022, 09:59 AM

8,145 posts, read 8,343,862 times
I volunteer for a few different things…… court advocate for foster kids, dog foster parent for rescue groups, walk leader for my hiking group, social committee chair for a group….. and each has administrative responsibilities. So it makes me a bit frazzled when someone is waiting for a report or action from me and I am actually needing a haircut or needing to attend to personal stuff such as getting my car serviced or take some time off with DH.

Yesterday I got a kind of annoying prompt about scanning & sending in tons of paperwork when I was really busy trying to file personal income taxes.

Old 04-06-2022, 11:46 AM

11,049 posts, read 6,637,979 times
Coming to terms with a scaled-down, more restrictive new "season" of life as we age, is the most bothersome aspect of life right now. Being contented with "less".

It's a struggle to reframe a whole life from what it used to be, down to today's reality. What does life look like now? How can we find satisfaction in a more restricted life?

Example: how do I live at the beach with a sun sensitivity? Rhetorical question but still a dilemma.

Old 04-06-2022, 01:13 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
I'm in the process of trying to figure out when to finally retire and what I want to do with my time once I retire. My concern is that I will retire without any goals and will end up waking up in the morning with no idea what to do. That will be the death of me. I do not want to fritter my days away running to Walmart for vitamins or over to Acme for 1/4 lb of cheese or being hijacked into doing a lot of things that I don't want to do simply because I have nothing else to do. I'm not the kind of person who is happy sitting around the house playing Sudoku or going out to eat or to movies. I want to do things that are meaningful to me and will enrich my life, things that I haven't had a chance to do such as improving my skill in a foreign language. This is something I'm thinking about now.
One of my cats today reminded me of what I need to do. She was in a throw bunched up against the window, all comfy, watching the cardinals flying in the back cactus garden.

When I get that region cleaned up, I must not change that. When I get the video tapes stored in a proper location, I must take those window spaces and put in window boxes so the cats can lounge, look out the big windows at strange creatures, so I can be there reading my books against the beauty of nature, there with a huge mug of coffee or tea.

I don't think I will be hijacked into too many things because I live so far away from it all; "they" would have to come to get me........but "they" know that with 6 cats, I am rather grounded from going anywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Coming to terms with a scaled-down, more restrictive new "season" of life as we age, is the most bothersome aspect of life right now. Being contented with "less".

It's a struggle to reframe a whole life from what it used to be, down to today's reality. What does life look like now? How can we find satisfaction in a more restricted life?

Example: how do I live at the beach with a sun sensitivity? Rhetorical question but still a dilemma.
Let Edward Hopper be your guide. That is, knowing how he used shadows and light to display locations, I've used that, when it is shining in through the bedroom windows, to imagine that I was at the beach, such as from this work: https://arthive.com/edwardhopper/wor...oms_by_the_sea

Old 04-06-2022, 01:34 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,249,738 times
Quote:
https://www.osherfoundation.org/olli.html

These classes are all over the country at local universities.

Old 04-06-2022, 02:48 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,267,971 times
Quote:
Maybe try going back to school? I did that after I retired and loved it.

Only quit when all my military college benefits ran out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement