Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2021, 05:11 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,937,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Are you talking about my SIL?

But then I figure they must like doing that.
My wife hates it, but feels sorry for her siblings because all are alone. They are alone because they are so screwed up that three were divorced by their spouses and the fourth never was married! His baby momma didn't even want him as a husband.

I keep telling her "don't answer the darn phone!" But they dial incessantly on her cell, the house phone, then start dialing me! Arrgh!

Thank God they all live 2+ hours away, and are too cheap or broke to buy gas for their cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2021, 05:29 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
My biggest concern is how to best manage this last lap of our journey.

We are downsizing and moving into a smaller, one-level home. Will this be enough? Husband is having hip replacement surgery in a couple weeks. How will this turn out?

Should we be looking at assisted living instead?

He has been in the slow-go phase for years now. I'll be there soon. Are we being overly optimistic about what we will have the ability to manage?

Old 11-08-2021, 05:49 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
Would you believe this? True story:

The last few weeks some disturbed individual has been leaving nasty signs (not handwritten) computer printed, hanging up in the stairwell (near my apt). The signs are threatening the maintenance workers and some people in certain apartments (mine was mentioned). The residents aren't mentioned by name, but by their race. It has actually escalated into a hate crime! The police were called and the building manager knows about it. The residents who were "threatened" (myself included) keep to themselves and have been living here for a couple of years.

This apparently started when management posted signs in the lobby warning people who let their dogs go potty in the elevator or stairwells, that they are being watched and will be fined and/or arrested. (Nice for a pet-free building, huh?)

*I suspect a teen who has a dog and lives at the far end of the hall may have something to do with this. He hasn't lived in the building that long and other "coincidences" point to him as well.

I hope this gets resolved soon.
How terrible for you! You certainly do have my sympathy.

P.S. To others, thanks so much for sharing. The great majority of you have my complete sympathy, but I am out of reps for now or I would probably have handed out a few more on this thread since the last one I gave.

Old 11-08-2021, 08:29 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
Are there any movements that you can't do anymore? I mean permanent restrictions.
I was told by the surgeon who fixed my loose hip replacement, not to cross my legs anymore. Don't get your replacement done in Texas....mine dislocated 3 times since he "forgot" to reattach some tendons and muscles. It's been a hellacious year and my recovery is very slow. I had my knees replaced both at the same time in 2013 and really miss not being able to squat, crouch or kneel anymore. That really sucks.

That's what's on my mind----diminished physical capacity. It almost seems not worth it anymore.

OTOH, my teeth are OK. Even after 3 years of no check-ups, all was well.

Sorry to hear all the dental horror stories.

Old 11-08-2021, 08:34 AM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am not talking about politics or sports or something like that, but asking what in your life is causing you the greatest problem personally (meaning your health, your financial condition, a problem you are having with someone else, etc.).

For me, it is dental problems -- and the upcoming cost, now that I don't have dental insurance. I am 68, and this coming Friday, I will have my first dentist appointment in two years, and I am NOT looking forward to it. What about you?

K- I never had good teeth and several years ago, while I was still working, decided to fix em up. This involved Invisilign to get things lined up, caps on all my front teeth (they had to be ground down....what a process!!) and literally thousands of dollars. But it was some of the best money I ever spent and theoretically, at least, I won't need dentures.

If cost is an issue.....you could possibly look into dental schools, where they have programs for students to treat members of the public under the supervision of a dentist. Or...there is something called Care Credit where if you pay the balance off in a certain period of time, there is no interest. There are ways.

Take care of your choppers.

Old 11-08-2021, 09:13 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Genetically I had very poor teeth structure …the sheaths that bond to the tooth and hold it in the gum and bone deteriorated ..

I had my bottom jaw done 12 years ago with 6 implants …then a complete section goes over and attaches . That was 25k

Over the years I rejected 4 of the six implants …the body builds up calcium underneath the implants and eventually breakers them free .

Two years ago I had the bottom redone for 12k.

My wife cosmetically capped her teeth about 15 years ago …over the years bacteria worked it’s way underneath and infected each canal .

Dental has been a horror for us ….last year was finally good for us

Most of my teeth have broken at the gum. When COVID hit, I was going to Penn University dental school to have them all yanked, none could be saved, to get the implant dentures, they want $15k for a full mouth.

I have a connective tissue disorder, am allergic to a lot of medications and fillers. The shingles vaccine shot 1 almost closed my throat. I had Benadryl on me. I was forced to get the J&J COVID vaccine 3 weeks ago because my daughter's friend had COVID. The friend stayed with my daughter for 48 hours at her house. Before she left, she was notified she was positive for COVID. The vaccine made parts of my mouth numb, I was semi run down for 2 or 3 days. I'll be shocked if a 2nd vaccine wouldn't also close my throat so I won't be pushing my luck. Thankfully J&J only requires one shot.

At one point, I was reading the dental section here, people are allergic to caps and other things like implants. It's my fear that I'll start going through the pain and expense for "snap in dentures" that I'll develop an allergy or my body will reject them. My body doesn't like the fusion with rods and screws from a "metal" cage where the disk was.

After reading about your experience, I think I'm just going to go with regular dentures and call it a day. You've spent a lot of money on the snap ins which aren't even permanent because you're having issues. When will you say you've had enough and go with regular dentures? I believe I made a thread about snap ins in the dental section, no one answered. I'm thankful to finally see someone who has them.

I've spent a lot of money caring for my teeth and in the end, it didn't save them. I'm only 56. I had the same issue as your wife with the caps in my mouth. I only have 2 capped teeth left due to it. I wish I knew about it before I capped my 4, top front teeth. My real ones were not in bad shape. They had a hairline crack running through them from a water slide incident in the 70's when my teeth hit the side of the water slide.

How painful is it going through the implants in case I change my mind? It won't cost me $15, they do it by an income based sliding scale on what you can afford.

Do you think it's easier then going with regular dentures?

Last edited by Roselvr; 11-08-2021 at 09:28 AM..

Old 11-08-2021, 09:19 AM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

How painful is it going through the implants in case I change my mind? It won't cost me $15, they do it by an income based sliding scale on what you can afford.

Do you think it's easier then going with regular dentures?
Implants is not a one and done. I got one 4 months ago and go in once a month for X-ray's.
I've never had one before and so the dentist was monitoring to see if my body accepted it or rejected it.
Thankfully my body is accepting it. Prior to that I had the tooth pulled and had to wait 6 months for the area to fully heal before getting the implant.

Old 11-08-2021, 09:25 AM

17,387 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
K- I never had good teeth and several years ago, while I was still working, decided to fix em up. This involved Invisilign to get things lined up, caps on all my front teeth (they had to be ground down....what a process!!) and literally thousands of dollars. But it was some of the best money I ever spent and theoretically, at least, I won't need dentures.

If cost is an issue.....you could possibly look into dental schools, where they have programs for students to treat members of the public under the supervision of a dentist. Or...there is something called Care Credit where if you pay the balance off in a certain period of time, there is no interest. There are ways.

Take care of your choppers.
That is my view, too. I recently saw a very nice person who has put their dental care on the way back burner for too many years. They only go to the dentist if it's an emergency and they have no other choice. Of course, their dental visits are enormously expensive and quite unpleasant.

If they would just take advantage of the free or nearly free dental school programs they could probably still save most of their teeth.

But as it is, they will probably be wearing dentures within the next 5 or so years. And it's not like dentures are cheap...

Old 11-08-2021, 09:32 AM

1,938 posts, read 702,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
If you are sure there is a dog in that apartment, why don't you report it to management? Or to the police since they are already involved?

Alternatively, leave a package of doggie poop bags at his door as a not so subtle hint.
I mentioned it. (I don't know how these dogs get in so easily. I do like dogs but I'd move to a place that
accepts them if I owned one. I guess people can get these flimsy "It's a therapy type dog" notes from
"doctors" and building managers worry about discrimination.

*One super lives in the building next door. One note not only threatened him but also insulted his wife
and son too! He told me 5 notes were found. I was aware of 3. It is terrible.

Old 11-08-2021, 09:34 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,193,896 times
There are actually two, but one of them that eats at me every day is:

I hate my job and want desperately to retire, but know I need to stay 2 years more to make the numbers work for retirement. This job has a pension, so going elsewhere isn't going to happen, plus I will delay SS for two more years. It is a soul-sucking experience and makes every day a misery. I feel trapped and unhappy and am fed up with this feeling. It overshadows everything else in my life.

Life is anything but a bowl of cherries right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement