Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2021, 10:12 PM

319 posts, read 200,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
understand - I learned Fortran and COBOL when we had to use punch cards -

But it is still funny

I don't even know what all my iPhone can do.
I knew RPG and Assembly, too. We coded on paper, then typed it to 8" floppy disks

Meh. Keeping up with technology was part of my job; I enjoyed it. We started with the round reel drives (I had strong arms from that) and moved all the way up to virtual storage. I had to learn Control-M after 20 years of CA7.

*shrug* Spouse carries the IPhone, I have my flip phone. Text and talk, use the IPhone in a pinch when we're on the road and need to find something or have a road emergency. Or in the doctor/dentist office, read news on the phone. That's it. As far as "real" work, I have a laptop on my desk, flanked by two 27" screens.

After 30+ years, starting with a green letter CRT, developing carpal tunnel syndrome from having to manually enter code on a screen, then execute it; working up to 5 screens spread in front of me, staring at a 30 foot wall COVERED with monitors that displayed things like MQSeries status, I'm supposed to actually scale down to that rinky dinky IPhone screen? F* no. To me, they are dumb devices. Apps are nothing compared to what I had to deal with. And again - that damned little screen.

My brain is wired to multi-task; to monitor on one screen, troubleshoot on the other and have youtube videos going on the third for background noise. I refuse to spend money on an IPhone for myself. There have been too many times I've felt like throwing Spouse's across the room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 10:23 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,933,408 times
I’d like to go back to the days of my telephone on the wall you just had to give it a crank and Mable could hook you up to your neighbor or across the country.

Old 11-11-2021, 10:54 PM

319 posts, read 200,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I’d like to go back to the days of my telephone on the wall you just had to give it a crank and Mable could hook you up to your neighbor or across the country.
Party lines!

I remember those existing until the 70s. Law was that you had to relinquish the line if another person needed to make an emergency call, but that would mean arguing with the current user about what constitutes an "emergency."

Old 11-12-2021, 05:18 AM

6,469 posts, read 3,163,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I'm guessing you're not all that familiar with modern tech, since what you're saying is not grounded in reality.
It's grounded in MY reality, as the "end user" of some of these gadgets. Maybe I was born with a genetic defect, but ALL OF MY LIFE, very close to 70 years, now, my way of operating has been to get the job done, properly, and as simply as possible.

Old 11-12-2021, 06:00 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,892,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Luv Chins View Post
I'm supposed to actually scale down to that rinky dinky IPhone screen? F* no. To me, they are dumb devices. Apps are nothing compared to what I had to deal with. And again - that damned little screen.

My brain is wired to multi-task; to monitor on one screen, troubleshoot on the other and have youtube videos going on the third for background noise. I refuse to spend money on an IPhone for myself. There have been too many times I've felt like throwing Spouse's across the room.
Well technically that's what people do when watching the smart TV and using the phone at the same time. The phone is quicker and more helpful when I need to check something simple like an email response or weather for tomorrow, while still watching the show.

Phone you can do things while on the couch, laying down without having to sit upright.

Old 11-12-2021, 06:50 AM

19,827 posts, read 9,387,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Well technically that's what people do when watching the smart TV and using the phone at the same time. The phone is quicker and more helpful when I need to check something simple like an email response or weather for tomorrow, while still watching the show.

Phone you can do things while on the couch, laying down without having to sit upright.
And people wonder why Americans are getting fatter! Not picking on you, btw, as I am something of a couch potato myself, only with me, I am either holding a book, scribbling in a notebook (!!!), or watching a movie on a large screen TV -- so for me to criticize anyone for lying down to do something would be the ultimate in hypocrisy, I think!

Still it is no wonder that there have been numerous reports of people gaining significant amounts of weight since the pandemic started -- and I think most of us know about the problem with U.S. children, at least, having more of a general weight problem than any time in history -- but that started long before 2020!

But, obviously, as I am typing this for a social media website on a PC -- but not a laptop, lol -- I am not completely against new electronics technology; I even have a microwave oven!

Last edited by katharsis; 11-12-2021 at 07:03 AM..

Old 11-12-2021, 07:30 AM

7,193 posts, read 9,332,580 times
When rotary phones were the newest technology

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p45T...channel=PVid88

Old 11-12-2021, 07:44 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,524,019 times
I still dont know how to do a Zoom call........now can anyone help me figure out the remote?

Old 11-12-2021, 08:03 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,885,696 times
At 70 I love technology. Having lights automatically come on when I enter a room and turn off when I leave, saying turn tv on and it comes on, saying tune to AMC or CBS and it changes channels, having the weather and news read to me when I get up in the morning, I embrace our robot overlords!

Old 11-12-2021, 08:42 AM

5,330 posts, read 6,027,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
This is possibly the funniest ad I've seen on SNL in the last several years that nails the "new tech" and "elderly" juxtaposition: <snip>
I loved that skit! Unfortunately, "I dunno about that" stuck in my head and years later I occasionally find muttering the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement