Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2021, 09:55 AM

16,699 posts, read 8,698,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Having been in tech for quite a long time, I found the video amusing but not something I could relate to. Someone sure had fun making it, though. Good for them!

I'm curious about specific complaints with iPhones, if anyone wants to share.
I cant speak for all tech, but with phones, the quality of sound is really bad on smart phones compared with landlines.
I do not mean VOIP(though better than cellular), but ATT hardwired landlines.
The next time you are at your parents/grandparents home, use their phone to speak to someone, and you will be shocked at the difference in sound quality.

Frankly when cellular phones were still analog, the sound wasn't as good as landline either, but it was still much better than today's digital carriers. So with every "improvement" the sound quality has gotten worse. So for those of us who still like to actually speak to someone, that is one shortcoming of modern phones, be it iPhones or Droids.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2021, 10:07 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,742,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Well technically that's what people do when watching the smart TV and using the phone at the same time. The phone is quicker and more helpful when I need to check something simple like an email response or weather for tomorrow, while still watching the show.

Phone you can do things while on the couch, laying down without having to sit upright.
Multitasking is not the virtue some people pretend it is.

Being present, really noticing what you’re doing and what’s going on, is how species have survived for so long.

Americans don’t need more tech to cram more things into a given amount of time. They’re already too distracted.

Old 11-12-2021, 10:43 AM

11,094 posts, read 6,695,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Multitasking is not the virtue some people pretend it is.

Being present, really noticing what you’re doing and what’s going on, is how species have survived for so long.

Americans don’t need more tech to cram more things into a given amount of time. They’re already too distracted.
Well, I DO enjoy checking something on the smartphone while watching a movie. Like, when was it made or how old is that actor, or where was it filmed. I get a kick out of that.

We have to adjust to the metric system down here, so I'm always using conversion tables on the internet. I get all my recipes from it, too.

Old 11-12-2021, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I’d like to go back to the days of my telephone on the wall you just had to give it a crank and Mable could hook you up to your neighbor or across the country.
True, but you have to admit, long-distance was KILLER on the wallet.

Old 11-12-2021, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
This is possibly the funniest ad I've seen on SNL in the last several years that nails the "new tech" and "elderly" jusxtaposition:

Oh wow, that was hilarious. Probably gave Amazon a new idea for a new/old niche market.

Old 11-12-2021, 11:18 AM

51,039 posts, read 36,758,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Sad and not funny! This is an attempt to make fun of the "new" technology which is more than 20 years old and is easier to use now than ever.
It’s easier to use, until something goes wrong. It is not really easy to use for older people who are new to technology. Even people who are new to technology. For instance, all of a sudden my Mac mail is no longer set up. When I try to send something through Mac mail, and asked me for the SMTP server or something like that, and I have no idea what that even means. I’ve spent several hours trying to figure out how to fix it so far.

Old 11-12-2021, 11:25 AM

51,039 posts, read 36,758,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Oh wow, that was hilarious. Probably gave Amazon a new idea for a new/old niche market.
Heck I’d buy it just for the finder feature! And the “Uh huh” feature sounds exactly like “conversations” I had with my mom, lol.

We tried to use Alexa with my mom but as easy as it seems it was hard for her (For instance if she said call my daughter, it would say which one of your daughters phone numbers do you want me to call? And then she didn’t know what to say in response. Of course by that time, she was also having trouble just using her jitterbug flip phone. That’s why we thought Alexa might be better.

Old 11-12-2021, 03:02 PM

6,519 posts, read 3,205,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It’s easier to use, until something goes wrong. It is not really easy to use for older people who are new to technology. Even people who are new to technology. For instance, all of a sudden my Mac mail is no longer set up. When I try to send something through Mac mail, and asked me for the SMTP server or something like that, and I have no idea what that even means. I’ve spent several hours trying to figure out how to fix it so far.
Fully understand what you're saying!

Old 11-12-2021, 08:24 PM

8,376 posts, read 6,476,870 times
Yeah I fear something new in technology because of your example of SMPT server and I don't have the slightest idea of what to do. And I just recieved a new iphone I won on ebay and now to set it up.

Old 11-12-2021, 10:35 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,020,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
SMTP. Simple Mail Transfer Protocol. It's been around since 1981, forty years ago.

You shouldn't have to do anything with SMTP. The culprit is Mac mail. A lot of people are having issues with it.

Here are a couple of links to try. Ignore the blatant pitch to get you to buy their software.

https://cleanmymac.com/blog/apple-mail-app-not-working

https://macpaw.com/how-to/mac-mail-app-not-working
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement