Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2021, 08:47 AM

23,649 posts, read 14,161,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
All younger people were raised with technology. It appears to be their DNA. They also seem to enjoy technology for the sake of it, and not as a means to an end.

I do not enjoy digital technology, and there are many other people who don't either.

Funny thing, one summer I worked demonstrating stereo systems at a place called Tech Hi-Fi. I was good at assembling stereo systems and I fully understood the analog technology of the time. I found that fun.

Honestly, I think technology was OK ten years ago. It just continues to get needlessly complicated.
Well, a thing or two.

After I got my cataract surgery, I had to go back to an analog dive watch. Why? Because with our wonderful medical technology which enables me to see 20/20, I can't see really close up with cheaters......and in a dive mask, I can't read my digital instrumentation.

Someone earlier on this thread mentioned how they loved being able to interact with the Net while watching a movie to see what that person had done. Does being able to so help them remember the movie?

Here's the thing: I watch a movie every night but I find I have trouble remembering what I watched, say 2 weeks ago, unless I keep a log. Putting aside, for a moment, "Well, you are just getting old Tamara," I put it down to two things.

A: Since my movies are selected at random, thee is no linkage, no association with anything else. They aren't even the flicks that "Everyone is talking about.". Further, the movie is there for one purpose, to entertain, not to rake over the coals in any particular way.

B: Since my movies are entirely closed circuit (player to TV, no outside input), it is only the movie, no outside interference whatsoever, the movie is entirely on its own.

B is where the ability to be with the Net while watching comes in. Does that enable people to better remember flick.......or is it worse as that they are multitasking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2021, 09:58 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,772,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
The average user doesn't have to use new features or apps they don't like. Don't worry about what other people do/don't do when it comes to technology.

If all you want is a device that makes & receives calls, texts, and takes some pictures, you can get a simple phone. No one is forcing you to buy a fancy iPhone or Android phone. Don't want to use any social media tools? Simple - don't load them on your phone or, if there, don't use them.

Just because something exists doesn't mean it has to be used.
That’s what I do...as long as alternatives are available.

Some things are best done one way some times, other times the other way, or with both.

Old 11-15-2021, 10:02 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,772,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
That is almost totally unfair and probably untrue, imo.

SOME seniors do complain for the sake of complaining, but I and most of the senior I know do NOT. Sure, we have our OPINIONS, but so does every other person. But that being said, what is wrong with someone wanting to have their life be as they want it to be? Plenty of younger people complain, complain, complain -- it is not just old people!

I can remember being a kid and complaining (only to my parents) that I disliked spending time at my grandparents because I hated their choice of music and TV programs.
Agree.

As for unwanted bells and whistles, they are just more things to malfunction, which electronics often do.

The complaint is about not having the choice to omit unnecessary things. If someone else wants them, fine—let them pay for them as options.

I just ordered a GPS watch that comes in many variations. Garmin actually allowed buyers to choose one that does NOT include WiFi, music, preloaded golf course maps, etc. I get all I need plus a few more, without the things I will never use on it. But those other variants are available for people who want them.

I would not buy the loaded variants at all, just do without. But I bought the more basic* one: revenue for them. Other manufacturers should take a cue from this.

*”Basic” is still full of more things than I foresee using.

Old 11-15-2021, 10:41 AM

51,314 posts, read 36,980,582 times
Quote:
Yesterday I couldn't remember where I heard a certain tune or its name, so I googled it by humming the first several bars, and within 10 seconds I had my answer.
That ruins things too though. Was listening to radio call in show, they were having a trivia contest. Guy who called is pausing, and you just know he is Googling it. My brother and I both try to remember whatever we are stumped on (Who was that actor, etc) before we Google.

Old 11-15-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
If you people are posting on here your technology savy enough to quickly learn a smart phone.
Doesn't mean you can't hate it. And again, it's when something goes wrong that problems come in. My honey was able to set up our "smart" thermostat, but he can't figure out why after 6 months it now goes offline all the time when nothing else does.

I spent hours on the phone with Apple Support this weekend, had to reset my phone to factory settings twice, then 75% of my apps didn't reload from the cloud, so I did it all manually. Then I had to remember every password for all of them. Then I tried to play music on the phone when I cleaned, and I could see the song was playing but there was no sound. So I Googled it, which took me to a forum where I tried half a dozen people's tips before I found the one that worked (sign out of icloud and sign back in).

My whole weekend felt taken from me. I still don't know where the purchased ring tones I had are. My Mac Mail hasn't worked for 2 months now, and I work on trying to figure it out for an hour or 2 when I have time, then I give up again.

My mom would have tossed the whole thing in the trash. My fiance wouldn't have been able to do all this, I would have ended up doing it.

My whole weekend felt taken from me. I still don't know where the purchased ring tones I had are. There's a lot to hate despite my reliance on it now.

Old 11-15-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Well, as I said, they told us that two months ago, which was after your mother died. (And my condolences for the loss of your mother. )
Thank you!

Old 11-15-2021, 11:34 AM

18,449 posts, read 15,914,914 times
If you have an apple product & can't figure it out or don't know how to restore everything, go to a local Apple store, if there's one somewhat near you. Make an appointment first with the 'genius bar'. Apple has experts that will set it up for you. My 88 yr old aunt uses them when she messes something up on her iPhone. They get it all fixed for her.

Old 11-15-2021, 11:46 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,631,411 times
If you don't use something then why would you worry that it is one more thing that could break?

If an app I didn't use on my phone didn't work I wouldn't even notice. If I didn't use the backup camera or cruise control in my car and it stopped functioning, I wouldn't even notice.

Old 11-15-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
If you have an apple product & can't figure it out or don't know how to restore everything, go to a local Apple store, if there's one somewhat near you. Make an appointment first with the 'genius bar'. Apple has experts that will set it up for you. My 88 yr old aunt uses them when she messes something up on her iPhone. They get it all fixed for her.
The closest one to me is 45 minutes, and nowhere near my work route. Yes I love going into the store.

Old 11-15-2021, 12:36 PM

18,449 posts, read 15,914,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
If you don't use something then why would you worry that it is one more thing that could break?

If an app I didn't use on my phone didn't work I wouldn't even notice. If I didn't use the backup camera or cruise control in my car and it stopped functioning, I wouldn't even notice.
Logical!

As someone who worked in product development/management/marketing for many years, in technology, I can emphatically say that changes and upgrades are not made for 'no reason,' as some insist. Making things difficult is not what any company aspires to. There are many factors that go into deciding a product roadmap and features, which include tech advancements, competition, user feedback, and other aspects. Product lifecycle is important, product and product line evolution is vital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement