Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2021, 09:16 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times

Advertisements

Why is the internet so unreliable? Especally since it's so necessary for so many people for so many things. You'd sure think they could come up with something better that works all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2021, 09:19 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I think its the users. My first computer was a TI computer that ran off of cassettes.

But I cannot believe that there is a whole lot of people today totally baffled by technology. The woman in the video appears to be in her 60's. More than 20 years ago there was AOL and Compuserve and by 15 years ago the first smart phones. Perhaps in your 60's some of this technology for the first time might take some effort to grasp but what has she been doing the past 25 years?
I find it more baffling that people have lost the grasp of humor. There is no hint of understanding in your post...

Old 11-16-2021, 10:01 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
The extremely frequent flood of so-called upgrades is a more recent phenomenon. I’ve owned many computers as well as worked heavily with them. There was a time when at least Apple’s OS grades were, indeed, improvements. As Sheena noted, somewhere along the line (pretty sure it was when they shifted most of their focus to smart phones instead of computers), the OS “upgrades” flew fast and furious, most of them fixing or not fixing an existing bug while introducing MORE bugs, including security flaws.

On my old G4 laptop which still would function if the AC adaptor/charger had not died, it had reached the top level of its OS family. After that, I would have had to buy a new laptop with the new chip to use newer OS. BUT—and this is a really big but—that laptop and OS had reached the point where there were no bugs whatsoever.

When the hardware was not even able to power up, then I had to buy a new laptop. Oh, it’s faster, has a better monitor (but lacks the many different ports and the internal CD drive), offers useful new features in the OS...except it has bugs. Many of them. The barrage of OS updates only bring worse ones, from the comments I’ve read, and now this laptop has “old” hardware that the newest OS won’t work with. I bought that barely more than a year ago with the then-newest OS version and only one month later began getting urged to “upgrade” OS versions as far as allowed. The reason I didn’t do it is because the newer versions are known to cause problems worse than the existing bugs, and Apple stopped allowing people to revert to older versions. So I am staying on the old version.

They would do better to develop upgrades more slowly and much, much better tested in-house instead of making customers the guinea pigs for $$$$$$$.

Windows was even worse for pushing hasty upgrades and still is, from what I see my husband dealing with.

Old 11-16-2021, 10:29 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Why is the internet so unreliable? Especally since it's so necessary for so many people for so many things. You'd sure think they could come up with something better that works all the time.
I agree. We are in a semi-rural area and our Comcast internet goes out with inclement weather a lot. So then we get messages pop up on the phone from the security camera app that all our cameras are offline. So how protected are we using WIFI dependent security systems? Not very much.

Old 11-16-2021, 12:40 PM

15,530 posts, read 10,501,555 times
That youtube made me laugh. Yeah, I have a motorolla android from Walmart and it's been stuck on Voice Search for six weeks now, lol. Not only is it stuck on voice search, the voice search doesn't even work. I so hate it.

Old 11-16-2021, 01:11 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Why is the internet so unreliable?
This depends on where you live.

I worked remotely for five years in Phoenix Arizona where reliable internet was a must all day almost every day, I honestly can't recall one problem. It was all underground wire and fiber nodes in the neighborhoods in the area we lived.

Old 11-16-2021, 10:42 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
This depends on where you live.

I worked remotely for five years in Phoenix Arizona where reliable internet was a must all day almost every day, I honestly can't recall one problem. It was all underground wire and fiber nodes in the neighborhoods in the area we lived.
Nothing is underground here - big metro area. Electricity, telephone (for my landline), cable/internet, all strung on the same poles. Big storm comes, we're done. Underground cable for new internet service in rural areas is being laid, however. Read this a few days ago in local paper.

Re 3G shutdown next year if something isn't done to ease the transition:
Quote:
The wireless networks that underpin an assortment of devices, including life-alert alarms, older cellphones and tablets, are about to shut down, an action that consumer advocates say will leave some of society’s most vulnerable people without critical communications tools.

When they were rolled out nearly two decades ago, 3G wireless networks served as the bedrock of an explosion in cellphones and connected devices. Many devices have moved to 4G networks and newer phones are now moving onto 5G.

But a motley assortment still relies on the more rudimentary 3G service — ranging from location sensors that track school buses to connected breathalyzers police use to monitor convicted drunk drivers — and consumer advocates are urging the Federal Communications Commission to slow the change, which is set to start in February.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...5-db24eda44a37
Entire article well worth a read. Comment from that article:
Quote:
Truly a first world problem, but my 2015 car has 3g but is otherwise in perfect condition. The manufacturer and dealership have decided not to come up with an update to 5g or any type of workaround. The lack of 3g will impact the navigation system, the ability for the car to automatically call if you have been in an accident, and maybe the ability to make calls over speakerphone through the car.

I do not intend to buy a new, updated car because I can’t make hands free calls or look up a map in my car’s nav system. I will also think twice about purchasing any other expensive “connected” electronics!!
Exactly. Someone tell me how this is a good thing? Even if dealers will fix this, it's yet another reminder how vulnerable we are to rapid obsolescence.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 11-16-2021 at 10:51 PM..

Old 11-17-2021, 08:08 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The extremely frequent flood of so-called upgrades is a more recent phenomenon. I’ve owned many computers as well as worked heavily with them. There was a time when at least Apple’s OS grades were, indeed, improvements. As Sheena noted, somewhere along the line (pretty sure it was when they shifted most of their focus to smart phones instead of computers), the OS “upgrades” flew fast and furious, most of them fixing or not fixing an existing bug while introducing MORE bugs, including security flaws.

On my old G4 laptop which still would function if the AC adaptor/charger had not died, it had reached the top level of its OS family. After that, I would have had to buy a new laptop with the new chip to use newer OS. BUT—and this is a really big but—that laptop and OS had reached the point where there were no bugs whatsoever.

When the hardware was not even able to power up, then I had to buy a new laptop. Oh, it’s faster, has a better monitor (but lacks the many different ports and the internal CD drive), offers useful new features in the OS...except it has bugs. Many of them. The barrage of OS updates only bring worse ones, from the comments I’ve read, and now this laptop has “old” hardware that the newest OS won’t work with. I bought that barely more than a year ago with the then-newest OS version and only one month later began getting urged to “upgrade” OS versions as far as allowed. The reason I didn’t do it is because the newer versions are known to cause problems worse than the existing bugs, and Apple stopped allowing people to revert to older versions. So I am staying on the old version.

They would do better to develop upgrades more slowly and much, much better tested in-house instead of making customers the guinea pigs for $$$$$$$.

Windows was even worse for pushing hasty upgrades and still is, from what I see my husband dealing with.
I am a corporate IT analyst. I've done plenty of work on applications, servers, some light development, tons of things in IT from Fortune 500s to small companies over the years. 90% of my corporate work is Windows, with some UNIX.

I despise Windows for everything but gaming. People look back to the "Windows XP glory days," but all I remember is instability, installing drivers/driver compatibility hell, BSODs, and constant crashing and troubleshooting. I have to reboot my corporate Windows 10 laptop virtually every two days.

I have essentially no complaints with Mac OS. Basically seamless integration with all of my other Apple devices. I have a 27" 2017 iMac off-the-shelf and it feels dog slow compared to the M1 Mac mini I bought my girlfriend awhile back.

Old 11-17-2021, 10:53 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
Someone rec'd me on my post about how I helped my elderly friend learn to text, asking, "So what does one do if they don't have a kind person to help?" to which I say:

Go to the store where you bought your phone! I had to do that once when I was having trouble setting up my wi-fi calling. The young people at those stores know those phones inside out and are more than happy to help.

Old 11-17-2021, 11:36 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
For years my wife and I had older flip phones. I decided to up date us to smart phones. My wife just could not not get use to the newer phone. Here was a bright, smart, educated women who used her computer all the time but for some reason could not adapt to the new phone. I had to get her old flip phone back for her. She was happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement