Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2021, 12:22 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I am a corporate IT analyst. I've done plenty of work on applications, servers, some light development, tons of things in IT from Fortune 500s to small companies over the years. 90% of my corporate work is Windows, with some UNIX.

I despise Windows for everything but gaming. People look back to the "Windows XP glory days," but all I remember is instability, installing drivers/driver compatibility hell, BSODs, and constant crashing and troubleshooting. I have to reboot my corporate Windows 10 laptop virtually every two days.

I have essentially no complaints with Mac OS. Basically seamless integration with all of my other Apple devices. I have a 27" 2017 iMac off-the-shelf and it feels dog slow compared to the M1 Mac mini I bought my girlfriend awhile back.
That is a fascinating comment, because some Windows people consider it best for business applications. My husband continues to gripe about endless upgrades and problems with his Windows computers while insisting he needs it for “business”, pretty much only Excel spreadsheets and TurboTax. He is retired, LOL. Once a bean counter, always a bean counter.

My iPad and Mac laptop do not integrate seamlessly, but that is because the iPad is much, much older. They do work together well in many respects, though. I appreciate those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
For years my wife and I had older flip phones. I decided to up date us to smart phones. My wife just could not not get use to the newer phone. Here was a bright, smart, educated women who used her computer all the time but for some reason could not adapt to the new phone. I had to get her old flip phone back for her. She was happy.
Maybe all she wanted to do was make phone calls and send text msgs, something that flip phones do perfectly well. I like mine precisely because of that and because it flips closed! If I use it away from home, it is more likely to be dropped on the ground, get wet, get grabbed in funny ways. I don’t ever butt dial my flip phone. And it is smaller than any smart phone.

Old 11-17-2021, 12:30 PM

1,492 posts, read 796,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Maybe all she wanted to do was make phone calls and send text msgs, something that flip phones do perfectly well. I like mine precisely because of that and because it flips closed! If I use it away from home, it is more likely to be dropped on the ground, get wet, get grabbed in funny ways. I don’t ever butt dial my flip phone. And it is smaller than any smart phone.
You might not realize it but a smart phone is easier to text on. On my iPhone I can speak the text just like I am speaking the text that you are now reading.

Old 11-17-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
You might not realize it but a smart phone is easier to text on. On my iPhone I can speak the text just like I am speaking the text that you are now reading.
Yes, I realize that. It still doesn’t outweigh the downsides to me. John’s wife might have had her own reasons.

Old 11-17-2021, 12:52 PM
ERH

1,700 posts, read 2,531,678 times
Quote:
We have flip phones for my father and father-in-law; they simply cannot "get" the smartphone concept despite multiple tries. I just logged in to TracFone and got the dreaded "you must upgrade to a smartphone by February" message. Whaaaaaaaa?

Old 11-17-2021, 02:41 PM

4,609 posts, read 3,003,049 times
Quote:
Yes... a flip phone will fit in a front pocket.

Old 11-17-2021, 05:29 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,276,566 times
They actually make a new fold-able phone called a Z Flip3.

Old 11-17-2021, 08:44 PM
ERH

1,700 posts, read 2,531,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
They actually make a new fold-able phone called a Z Flip3.
It's not the flip we desire, it's the simplicity. It's like having an old DOS system in a world of Macintoshs.

Individuals who struggle to master the smartphone concept of tapping and swiping and gliding effortlessly from screen to screen need a simple device that will store a few contacts and make/receive calls--period. My old codger #1 turns 83 next month. I have tried repeatedly to get him to adapt to an old iPhone 5. I removed every single icon I could, leaving only the Phone option on the home screen, and he still manages to go down rabbit holes that he can't get himself out of (rendering the phone useless to him, unless it's to receive calls).

My old codger #2 is midway down his dementia journey. The first struggle is making sure he can find the phone and second, to keep it charged up. He can barely dial a number without assistance, even with the stored contacts (because you follow a text menu down several levels to get to the numbers). He has managed to block our numbers (he can't see well and starts mindlessly pushing buttons), then complains dramatically when he has to use the public access phone in his nursing home to call us. He is moving to a new facility soon, so we'll likely just set up a landline for him.

Old 11-18-2021, 04:41 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
Or I can say "call Paul Stevens" and it starts dialing...

Old 11-18-2021, 04:50 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
The manufacturer and dealership have decided not to come up with an update to 5g or any type of workaround. The lack of 3g will impact the navigation system, the ability for the car to automatically call if you have been in an accident, and maybe the ability to make calls over speakerphone through the car.
So that is what you sum up as "half the features don't work?". It's few network reliant things, newer cars have far more features than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Exactly. Someone tell me how this is a good thing? Even if dealers will fix this, it's yet another reminder how vulnerable we are to rapid obsolescence.
3G has been around for decades, you're clutching this network phase-out that will effect some cars and devices as a proof technology is bad? What about the previous 20 years of 3G? What about all the cars that won't have a problem being upgraded or already use 4G?

It's a good thing because the overwhelming majority of people will enjoy the benefits technology brings without being impacted by the 3G shutdown. If someone got to use the 3G network features of their car for five years then it cut out, are they worse off than you who never had those features? Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement