Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2021, 09:08 AM

6,464 posts, read 3,154,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
The bold is the key. I have no desire or interest in having and learning how to use a Smartphone. If I did, I would learn it.

......At that point I had never even turned ON a computer before and it was all very complicated and intimidating to me, but I managed -- that was because it was part of my job to do so, so I was sufficiently motivated to learn. I have no such motivation now.
I understand, 100%, and agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 09:16 AM

18,105 posts, read 15,683,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Woah there, I thought everyone was owned by technology. What gives?

I can't be owned!

Old 11-18-2021, 09:51 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
I'm not going to try to convince anyone they should have a smartphone. But I am curious as to what you would do if you found yourself without transportation (say, your car broke down), your friends are all out of town and you need to get home. How do you call a cab? Are there even any cab services still extant where you live? Do you know what number to dial?

Of course on a smartphone it's easy. Type in a short query and get a list of ride services. I was picked up yesterday by a guy in a white BMW. He's retired and he just does this to ward off boredom. He told me about growing up in East Palo Alto when it was a pretty rough neighborhood, before IKEA, and that he bought a house when he was 17.

I'm just amused at how quickly and thoroughly things changed, once nearly everyone had a smartphone. Forget trying to find a pay phone. They don't exist any more, apparently.

Old 11-18-2021, 10:05 AM

19,809 posts, read 9,371,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I'm not going to try to convince anyone they should have a smartphone. But I am curious as to what you would do if you found yourself without transportation (say, your car broke down), your friends are all out of town and you need to get home. How do you call a cab? Are there even any cab services still extant where you live? Do you know what number to dial?

Of course on a smartphone it's easy. Type in a short query and get a list of ride services. I was picked up yesterday by a guy in a white BMW. He's retired and he just does this to ward off boredom. He told me about growing up in East Palo Alto when it was a pretty rough neighborhood, before IKEA, and that he bought a house when he was 17.

I'm just amused at how quickly and thoroughly things changed, once nearly everyone had a smartphone. Forget trying to find a pay phone. They don't exist any more, apparently.
There is a difference between a smartphone and a "regular" flip phone, and 411 still works. And, yes, there are is a public cab service that operates like a dial-a-ride with an easy to remember number even in my small town! Plus, people here are so friendly that if they saw an old lady waiting by a bus stop (if there were bus stops here, lol), they would probably be very quick to offer a ride.

Old 11-18-2021, 10:23 AM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
You might not realize it but a smart phone is easier to text on. On my iPhone I can speak the text just like I am speaking the text that you are now reading.
Siri never understands me and I have to go back into the body of the text and correct things. For instance I will dictate "I accept that you...." and it will type "I except that you...." but in a paragraph there will be 3 or 4 mistakes like that. So to me it doesn't seem that much faster or easier.

Old 11-18-2021, 12:08 PM

19,809 posts, read 9,371,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Siri never understands me and I have to go back into the body of the text and correct things. For instance I will dictate "I accept that you...." and it will type "I except that you...." but in a paragraph there will be 3 or 4 mistakes like that. So to me it doesn't seem that much faster or easier.
This brought to mind one of my favorite videos and a possible laugh for those who either enjoy or like to make fun of Midwesterners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_8n2q5iI4E&t=2s

Old 11-18-2021, 01:29 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Being rude won't help you prove a point.

I submit someone using a cell phone voice navigation is less distracted than the old days of looking at a map, and it demonstrates that technology can reduce distractions. It's also safer and more efficient than pulling over. Electronics only distract you if you let them, I never answered or checked a phone when driving, but I use navigation to get directions while not needing to take my eyes or hands away from driving.
In my car, I have CarPlay. It not only will tell me when I need to turn right or left, but it will show up on that screen as an arrow in a big box and I won’t have to look at my hands to figure out which is right or left. The screen is actually in my peripheral vision zone so I don’t even really have to look look — just a nanosecond of a glance down and I got it.

I always drove when my husband was alive, and he used to swear he was going to put an R and L on my shoes. But I knew him very well, and he would’ve done it backwards just to be funny.

Apparently the inability to distinguish right from left is not uncommon and is considered by some a very mild form of dyslexia.

Old 11-18-2021, 01:48 PM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
In my car, I have CarPlay. It not only will tell me when I need to turn right or left, but it will show up on that screen as an arrow in a big box and I won’t have to look at my hands to figure out which is right or left. The screen is actually in my peripheral vision zone so I don’t even really have to look look — just a nanosecond of a glance down and I got it.

I always drove when my husband was alive, and he used to swear he was going to put an R and L on my shoes. But I knew him very well, and he would’ve done it backwards just to be funny.

Apparently the inability to distinguish right from left is not uncommon and is considered by some a very mild form of dyslexia.
I have that, too! I could never follow along in aerobics classes back in the day because with the instructor facing me, when she’d say to move to the right I’d get messed up and go the opposite way. I’m also a poor parallel parker. Just poor spatial skills overall. One of the reasons I wasn’t able to use paper maps effectively.

Old 11-18-2021, 02:18 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,547,343 times
My husband is quite "stunned" when it comes to technology. He's in real estate. He receives, and has to reply to many text messages. He used to pound away with one finger, typing a text message on his I-phone.

Imagine his surprise when I showed him how to do "voice to text"? He loves it. Once in a while, he curses at the auto-correct though LOL

Old 11-19-2021, 09:18 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
My husband is quite "stunned" when it comes to technology. He's in real estate. He receives, and has to reply to many text messages. He used to pound away with one finger, typing a text message on his I-phone.

Imagine his surprise when I showed him how to do "voice to text"? He loves it. Once in a while, he curses at the auto-correct though LOL
I think I spend more time editing that I do using talk to text.

But if your husband ever gets truly fed up with it, logitech makes a small inexpensive keyboard that is battery operated that you can sync with your phone. It even has a little place to put the phone. I pull it out when I have done a very long post using talk to text, and it’s riddled with errors and I have to fix it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement