Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2021, 09:22 AM

51,441 posts, read 37,111,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I think I spend more time editing that I do using talk to text.

But if your husband ever gets truly fed up with it, logitech makes a small inexpensive keyboard that is battery operated that you can sync with your phone. It even has a little place to put the phone. I pull it out when I have done a very long post using talk to text, and it’s riddled with errors and I have to fix it.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2021, 10:28 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,792,968 times
I like the new GPS watch I just got. Still lots to learn on it and it’s even fun to do so.

There was a learning curve with analog compass and maps and charts etc etc, too. The advantage with those is not having to learn them all over again because they are not proprietary software-based. That is one of the crucial differences, along with not needing batteries or AC. (Sort of like manual transmissions always working basically the same way regardless of year or make, in contrast to having to study manuals for each automaker’s “manual gear selection mode” on recent automatic transmissions.)

So I will learn the new stuff, but I still enjoy using the old-fashioned stuff and probably always will. And I decide when to use one, the other, or both.

Old 11-19-2021, 09:29 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,204,442 times
I live in a 55+ development that has a lodge with a pool gym, and lot of classes and activities. This just came in the weekly email:

"Teen Tech - Does you cell phone, tablet or computer make your crazy?

Do you have questions about your personal technology devices? Are you interested in learning more about social media? The Education Committee is offering its first Teen Tech program on Wednesday December 1st at 3:30 PM in the Rainier Room. Fully vaccinated students from (our county) High Schools will provide a short presentation on social media. After answering your questions, the students will break the audience into smaller groups to give you some individual attention. The class is limited to thirty. Currently there are thirteen spaces available. Register in person, by calling ()."

What a great idea.

Old 11-23-2021, 01:15 AM

18,551 posts, read 15,983,650 times
Back in the day my parents used to joke they needed one of the 10 yr olds in the neighborhood to program their VCR for them.

Teens helping seniors learn technology basics makes good sense.

Old 11-23-2021, 09:05 AM

11,176 posts, read 6,772,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Back in the day my parents used to joke they needed one of the 10 yr olds in the neighborhood to program their VCR for them.

Teens helping seniors learn technology basics makes good sense.
What a great idea. I hope it takes off.

I was surprised that the taxi drivers here and where we visited in Europe, did not use GPS to find addresses.

We have never used GPS either, I just realized. But, we gave up cars 5 years ago, lol.

Old 11-23-2021, 10:32 AM

I'm love my GPS -- I joke I couldn't find my way out of my driveway without it. I've used Garmin GPS devices since 2002. I'm a fan.

Old 11-23-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I'm love my GPS -- I joke I couldn't find my way out of my driveway without it. I've used Garmin GPS devices since 2002. I'm a fan.
Do GPS devices do a better job of knowing when roads are closed? That's the issue I have with Apple maps and Waze. There was a road I took to go home from my niece's that was closed for miles due to an accident. But the maps kept trying to take me back to the same road. Saturday my fiance and his buddy tried to get to a Flyers game they spent $400 on tickets for, but the Philadelphia Marathon was the same weekend, and all the roads they tried to take were closed, but the map program just kept sending them back to the same closed roads no matter what they did.

Old 11-23-2021, 11:19 AM

My Garmin device has live traffic updates, which includes accidents, road closures, and shows slowdowns. The GPS will detour with a press of a button.

Old 11-23-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
My Garmin device has live traffic updates, which includes accidents, road closures, and shows slowdowns. The GPS will detour with a press of a button.
Maybe I’ll have to look into one.

Old 11-23-2021, 06:10 PM

35,285 posts, read 31,652,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
There is a difference between a smartphone and a "regular" flip phone, and 411 still works. And, yes, there are is a public cab service that operates like a dial-a-ride with an easy to remember number even in my small town! Plus, people here are so friendly that if they saw an old lady waiting by a bus stop (if there were bus stops here, lol), they would probably be very quick to offer a ride.
The big deal with the smartphone is it is literally most of human knowledge (the internet) in your pocket, virtually anywhere and any time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement