Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2021, 08:18 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,124,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I live in a 55+ development that has a lodge with a pool gym, and lot of classes and activities. This just came in the weekly email:

"Teen Tech - Does you cell phone, tablet or computer make your crazy?

Do you have questions about your personal technology devices? Are you interested in learning more about social media? The Education Committee is offering its first Teen Tech program on Wednesday December 1st at 3:30 PM in the Rainier Room. Fully vaccinated students from (our county) High Schools will provide a short presentation on social media. After answering your questions, the students will break the audience into smaller groups to give you some individual attention. The class is limited to thirty. Currently there are thirteen spaces available. Register in person, by calling ()."

What a great idea.
Most of the old retirees I know could help those high school kids learn a bit more about technology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2021, 08:30 PM

18,177 posts, read 15,749,883 times
I'd like to teach classes on how to do basic online searching and then more advanced search techniques in a subsequent class.

Search tools have existed and evolved over 25+ years, have continued to get easier, are integrated into most devices, and for some reason, people of all ages can't or won't look for information online or within the platform they're using. Often they'll claim they did a search and found nothing, but they really want someone else to do the work for them and spoon feed them answers.

Old 11-23-2021, 09:19 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,282,760 times
Search tools have gone nowhere but down. Google used to be useful, it is now a vast wasteland of ads, mostly useless returns and plays to whomever spent the most time on analytics. You also have to know the secret code of " : ; _ + to get anything relevant. 7,960,000 results in 0.62 seconds is nothing to be proud about.

Old 11-24-2021, 05:03 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,598,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I'd like to teach classes on how to do basic online searching and then more advanced search techniques in a subsequent class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
Search tools have gone nowhere but down. Google used to be useful, it is now a vast wasteland of ads, mostly useless returns
Sounds like a match made in heaven. When will class begin?

Old 11-24-2021, 07:15 AM

2,873 posts, read 1,155,272 times
Love it!
I did install a landline. Clear reception, at last!
And yes, I want my flip phone back.

Old 11-24-2021, 09:54 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,672,673 times
I love new technology but have the same fears that the future generations will rely on it too heavily. I suppose my argument that my kids play video games too much is the same as my parents argument that i watched too much tv.. i get it! I think once my kids get out on their own and have to fend for themselves, the video game will slow down dramatically...

Old 11-24-2021, 10:47 AM

11,082 posts, read 6,676,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The big deal with the smartphone is it is literally most of human knowledge (the internet) in your pocket, virtually anywhere and any time.
I had a list of movie recommendations that I looked up to see if we'd like them without starting the laborious key-by-key remote tapping on the search function on the Firestick. I could view them all on the phone and see what they were about, who starred, what year, from the couch while DH made popcorn, lol.

I am usually on the laptop but love having the phone next to me to answer questions about what we're watching. I get a kick out of that. Such an amazing resource! I am finally using the alarm clock function too. For once, something was easy, lol. Just hate typing on the tiny screen.

Old 11-24-2021, 11:01 AM

50,965 posts, read 36,657,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Most of the old retirees I know could help those high school kids learn a bit more about technology.
I find that hard to believe.

Old 11-24-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
Search tools have gone nowhere but down. Google used to be useful, it is now a vast wasteland of ads, mostly useless returns and plays to whomever spent the most time on analytics. You also have to know the secret code of " : ; _ + to get anything relevant. 7,960,000 results in 0.62 seconds is nothing to be proud about.
I hate the search engines, too. If I try to look up say "Superbowl events Atlantic City 2021", I get results that say 2014, 2012, 2018, but not the date I'm actually looking for. No matter what I do I can't get to just display results from 2021. I'll scroll all the way through several pages and only old results show up. If I look up "Chase bank near me", I get 100 different banks popping up. It doesn't care what I put, it gives me results it wants to. I never had any success using + and I didn;t even know : and ; helped, what do they do?

Old 11-24-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I love new technology but have the same fears that the future generations will rely on it too heavily. I suppose my argument that my kids play video games too much is the same as my parents argument that i watched too much tv.. i get it! I think once my kids get out on their own and have to fend for themselves, the video game will slow down dramatically...
There's more to worry about than just that. I work in a nursing home, and over the summer we lost power and internet after some kind of accident. I told a nurse that a patient said she had a headache, and the nurse responded "I can't give her anything right now, I can't get into my med cart without WiFi"

I think about that with our so-called security system too. Everyone has Ring or Nest or similar, but we lose WiFi more often than most in the area we live in (any kind of storm) and then we have zero security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement