Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2021, 06:19 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
I see the incompetence in the creators of the so-called tech, not the users.
There's a gulf between the users and the designers. It has existed ever since home computing became a thing.

In my late forties-early fifties I did user interface testing for a bunch of tech companies, including four sessions for eBay. They had a sophisticated setup that tracked your eye movements and created heat maps. Inevitably I was paired with a twenty-something developer who regarded me as a fossil. In theory, they *wanted* my input but did they use it? Not so much.

It's vanity. Nobody likes to be told their cherished idea sucks in the real world. Still, they paid well. $150-$200 for an hour of my time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2021, 06:24 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
As an engineer over my career I went from using punch cards and paper tape readers with PDP 11/34s, to Cray computers, VAX servers, and SGI and Sun Unix workstations. Crazily enough, in recent years had a workstation sitting on my desk that exceeded the computing capacity of a Cray "supercomputer" from the 1980's!

Moore's Law. Imagine what you'll have in another ten years.

Old 11-08-2021, 09:03 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I think the hardest part is having to learn new ways of doing things all the time. Much easier to go with what you already know.

We've gone from VHS, to DVDS, to streaming, then cut the cable and switched to streaming YouTube TV, and Netflix. Needed an Apple Fire Stick and a son to get it all set up for us. Figuring out how to watch as well as save programs to watch later was a challenge.

We both switched to MacBook as we tired of all the virus problems with PCs. MacBooks seem to be working out better.

We have two types of phones now. One is easy to use. It is connected to the internet and as long as it's working we have a phone. However, we rarely answer it as it is always about our last chance to update our car warranty before they close the file, lower interest rate credit cards, hotel deals, contributing to some police charity, ... Our iPhone had a bit of a learning curve, but we can text with our children and that's their preferred mode of communication.

But each switch has involved a learning curve and I wonder at what point we will just be unable to catch on.

For me, it is not so much the learning curve as it is the frustration at having to buy the same thing over and over again each time the media changes. So I said enough and stuck with one, DVDs.

Besides, not being infrastructure designed for the newest media is a great barrier for keeping out those who might want to invade.

Old 11-08-2021, 10:09 AM

14,955 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
understand - I learned Fortran and COBOL when we had to use punch cards -

But it is still funny

I don't even know what all my iPhone can do.
I know, I don't use everything my phone can do. Though I am learning, and use more as I go along.

Old 11-08-2021, 12:29 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
Even though I started with punch cards and FORTRAN, I find that my new Bill Gates' triplex (I got a booster shot) microprocessor system and 5G make it easy to control the space lasers.

Old 11-08-2021, 12:42 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
We are in our seventies. We like and use our Iphones, but we don’t utilize them as well as our kids.

Old 11-08-2021, 12:51 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,585,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post

This is another of those stereotypes that I absolutely detest and find degrading for older people.
I completely agree! and strongly. Definitely a destructive degrading stereotype.

Especially since many of us started using computers in 1987 or 1989 to do complex paid database searching for research at work, and had a computer at home from 1996 onward. (some earlier)

Old 11-08-2021, 03:35 PM

6,461 posts, read 3,154,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
I see the incompetence in the creators of the so-called tech, not the users.
I agree with you, 100% To me, the "techies" that develop this stuff, think it's "easy to use", but that's only because they've been immersed in the world of computers since the very early days. They then built on top of that.

For those of us that didn't have the foundational basics, and didn't begin getting into using computers, I-phones, etc, until we were in our 40s, 25-30 years ago, it's like trying to learn high school level mathematics without the learning of grade 1-8 math, first....

Old 11-08-2021, 03:48 PM

9,298 posts, read 14,913,687 times
I think for people the age of the woman in the video, it is more about ease of use than lack of understanding.

Why not make a much larger phone with easy to see options and an obvious and intuitive interface? There shouldn't have to be a big learning curve with any new device. It should be simple to use. Why not a larger phone that's totally voice activated? Make it like Alexa- call Rosemary, go on the internet, get me my e-mail, call the police, show me my bank account, etc.

And don't just use weird symbols assuming that everyone knows that parallel lines mean a menu, use written language.

Limit functions to what's most often used and make it affordable.

Old 11-08-2021, 05:41 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,122,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
You know what I really love?

When a cat runs across the keyboard and manages to shut down the computer. I don't know what sequence of keys they hit but they seem to know.
Then you might enjoy this!

https://youtu.be/W85oD8FEF78
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement