Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 05:59 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
It is not necessarily the unwillingness to adapt as it might be having to buy again and again the same thing when the media changes.

Think about it, from LPs to cassettes to CDs to what now? Me, I stopped at CD/DVD and developed procedures to stay at that level.

That factor alone makes it far different from learning a new language......but even then, that changes, too! What's the current greeting in Arabic? As-salaam 'alykum ......... but when I was learning the language in the time of the Yom Kippur War, it was Ma salaam.
Also, unwillingness to buy or keep using disliked tech forms doesn’t mean inability to learn.

And that applies to all ages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2021, 11:46 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,673,255 times
Well, the video is amusing...again, everyone has their own level of such. I was lucky to latch onto stuff 25 years ago, taking Mac courses...began using the Internet, email..yada, yada, having had Mac Desktops and iPad mini's (which I type on), but found I really didn't want an iPhone. I began with different cell phones and use an Android, but don't love it. I would not want a Laptop either as shown in the video, eek…so uncomfortable. I do not use a bunch of Apps on them, either.

I will admit, like the lady in the video, I prefer my landline....that's right, I still have a corded (and cordless) hooked up. If I am going to converse, I want to do it that way. I keep the Cell with me when out or will make toll-calls from. Where I draw the line at with technology is Texting...I'll do it with a gun to my back, but that's all. It just bugs me, I'd rather send emails..but there are those who want texting.

As mentioned by another, I also set up streaming almost 2 years ago, besides using an OTA Antennas, having two TVs...and am happy with that.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 12-01-2021 at 12:06 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 12-01-2021, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Clever!

When we began to worry about my folks out on snowy roads in the winter time we gifted them with a phone. We skipped all the great stuff it could do and just gave the basics - how to charge, turn on and dial 911 and our number. We practiced.

A couple of weeks later I called and asked if they felt more secure droving with the phone and Dad said they had to take it back because it "didn't work."
Hahaha…well, it’s like showing another a car with a stick shift and saying “Okay, see you later”.

Old 12-01-2021, 01:00 AM

Quote:
For me, it is not so much the learning curve as it is the frustration at having to buy the same thing over and over again each time the media changes. So I said enough and stuck with one, DVDs.

Besides, not being infrastructure designed for the newest media is a great barrier for keeping out those who might want to invade.
Well, I actually still have a stereo receiver, speakers, CD’s - the CD player doubles as a DVD player, but not really needing. Embarrassed to say, but there is a cassette player hooked up ….since my friend set up for me at some point. Yes, haha…I still have good music cassettes, yet I really don’t think to play them. There is still a record player, but have needed a stylus (needle), that I have just let go. I usually have the radio on or the TV, so that’s where I’m at. If I ever move, I will change things.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 12-01-2021 at 01:34 AM..

Old 12-01-2021, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
What about the Youtube video of a couple of teenage boys being handed an old dial phone and asked to dial a number. They look just as flustered as that lady in the video - completely clueless about how to stick your finger in the holes and make a call.

So, it swings both ways. Some elders can't handle smart phone technology. Some Gen Zs can't figure out how to use an old school, simple rotary phone. Which is hilarious to watch for those of us who grew up using a rotary phone. I remember when the push button phones came out and it was super-cool as a teenager to have a push button AT&T slimline phone in your bedroom!
Yes, I had a Princess phone…actually, it was an extension for the bedrooms…the cord was usually trailing under my closed door. I didn’t have the push button version until moving to my own apartment. I recall it was $2.50 a month to “rent” from the phone co.

Old 12-01-2021, 05:11 AM

6,442 posts, read 3,143,427 times
Quote:
Well, it also forgets what was learned before.

That is, what I said a few years ago when Hastings, to get more on the shelf, turned the boxes from being face out to being spine out. Hence, the example of the flick "Black Ice".
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bpcBiBnUay...lack%2BIce.jpg

Face out, it had Michael, Joanna, and Michael on the cover, familiar faces (think I was on my Michael Ironside kick at the time) to reach out to the viewer, draw them in with "Hey, Watch Me!".

But spine wise, one only saw that title in red, "Black Ice". If you weren't looking for the movie, how would you know to watch it? The only way would be to pull the box off the rack and look it over. Each and every box, using up a whole bunch of time and probably dissuading the viewer from continuing eventually.

For decades, we used movie posters like this
https://www.movieposters.com/product...devil-a70-6490
to entice people, draw them into the theatre but somehow, in the name of, what, efficiency? we have forgotten that lesson.
Well stated, and you bring up a good point.

Remember in the 60s, when "Album Art" was a big thing, and as you mention, enticed the potential buyer to pick up the album and actually look at it? And the back of the album, and sometimes the record jacket, too, was a wealth of information, such as a list of all the musicians and writers that contributed to the album, images of the musicians, and in some cases, blatant advertising of that band's other albums, or sometimes lists of other music that was released by the same record label.

Get all of that, on a "thumb drive"??

Old 12-01-2021, 09:56 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Well, I actually still have a stereo receiver, speakers, CD’s - the CD player doubles as a DVD player, but not really needing. Embarrassed to say, but there is a cassette player hooked up ….since my friend set up for me at some point. Yes, haha…I still have good music cassettes, yet I really don’t think to play them. There is still a record player, but have needed a stylus (needle), that I have just let go. I usually have the radio on or the TV, so that’s where I’m at. If I ever move, I will change things.
I have the separate component stereo also including a turntable (that needs overhaul)...plus an old iPod, less old iPad, newish satellite radio, and—ironically, most recently—a cheap little AM/FM transistor radio. The last item was bought only to allow hearing the sound from a movie shown at a pop-up drive-in theater. People had to tune in to a blank FM frequency (of which there are many here) to hear the soundtrack. No, it doesn’t come close to actual theater sound or home stereo or iPod, for that matter. That’s OK; it is turn-on-and-play, no subscription needed, no software or firmware to update, and good enough for the intended purpose.

Old 12-01-2021, 10:54 AM

50,781 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
There's a difference between using apps and understanding/living through the evolution of computing. I had a desktop computer at my disposal in 1977. I'm sure others here had somewhat similar experiences. My spouse will talk your ear off about the computers -- each big enough to fill an entire room -- he babysat at SRI.
I understand that. I understand there are great men of an older generation who set the foundation for the technology we have today. But the conversation was about me saying something like "you need kids around" when you have a problem with tech" and people getting insulted by that and talking about older generation building mainframes. My tech questions aren't about building computer systems or the history of computer systems, it's "Where did all my ringtones go after I updated my phone?" or "How do I get autofill to stop putting my street name on a separate line from my house number?", things like that.

In my own personal experiences, in my personal sphere, most of the people my age and older are as clueless as I am about this kind of issue, but I hand my phone to a 10 year old and they have it figured out in 30 seconds.

Old 12-01-2021, 04:39 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I understand that. I understand there are great men of an older generation who set the foundation for the technology we have today. . . ..
Ahem. Lady Ada is now rolling over in her grave. As I would be if I were in my grave yet.

Old 12-01-2021, 07:04 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I understand that. I understand there are great men of an older generation who set the foundation for the technology we have today. But the conversation was about me saying something like "you need kids around" when you have a problem with tech" and people getting insulted by that and talking about older generation building mainframes. My tech questions aren't about building computer systems or the history of computer systems, it's "Where did all my ringtones go after I updated my phone?" or "How do I get autofill to stop putting my street name on a separate line from my house number?", things like that.
But none of this stuff is hard. That's what I don't get.

Type "Where did my ringtones go after iphone update" in the URL bar

And you get (click on the link):

https://www.google.com/search?channe...r+phone+update

If you want to be more specific, put the number of the update in your query or the iPhone version. Poke around in the results you get.

The important thing to remember is that other people have the same problems you have, so there will be answers online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement