Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 02:34 PM

48,710 posts, read 35,229,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Sounds great and I know what you mean, but please describe the rue (or roux) and how you make it. Some might have difficulty finding it online.
One can google how to make a roux, lots of step by step pics online, or, google how to make gravy. Lots of recipes and videos.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2021, 02:36 PM

12,068 posts, read 10,356,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I can not make gravy to save my life. My last attempt at gravy was horrible. Thank goodness I had a back up jar of gravy to use because we would have been gravyless that year otherwise. Everything else I make turns out really well.

I make homemade mashed potatoes, mac & cheese and stuffing/dressing. I also bake crescent rolls (not homemade).

Asparagus and green beans are the veggies. I'll serve canned cranberry sauce.

Nothing I make is that hard to make, it's more a matter of there being so many different dishes and timing it all so that everything is hot when served.
try making your own cranberry sauce. I did and oh my so good.

I also like to make my own gravy, but do keep jarred gravy on hand

My sibling would do thanksgiving on a Wednesday and would invite me. I would go but would eat just a bit.

I would confuse her gravy with the mashed potatoes - just a thick gob of water and flour basically. She was not a good cook.

Her turkey - not cooked long enough. So I would just get a small piece and then throw it out.

Old 11-14-2021, 02:40 PM

17,688 posts, read 16,830,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Your dinner sounds delish.....

gravy is easy. make sure you have enough liquid in the bottom of the roasting pan. sometimes the turkey packaging will tell you how much water to put in the bottom. Water mixes with the fat from the turkey. That's your base. And people have to leave you alone while you do this!!

Remove turkey to the side and any chunky stuff in your base. Keep the liquid in the roasting pan. Make a rue....1 to 1 1/2 cups...just so you have enough. Bring the liquid to a boil on the stovetop and slowly add the rue.....stir continually with a whisk....keeps it from sticking to the pan as well as keeps it smooth and brings it to the proper consistency. Once my consistency is good, I add Kitchen Boquet, little by little. Adds color and a bit of salt and flavor. Keep tasting as you go. Once you reach 'flavor' it's done. Strain to a small warming pot. voila. 15-20 mins top and worth it
Try it sometime.
Thank you! I will give this a try and have my backup jar of gravy on hand in the event of a disaster.

Old 11-14-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
try making your own cranberry sauce. I did and oh my so good.

I also like to make my own gravy, but do keep jarred gravy on hand

My sibling would do thanksgiving on a Wednesday and would invite me. I would go but would eat just a bit.

I would confuse her gravy with the mashed potatoes - just a thick gob of water and flour basically. She was not a good cook.

Her turkey - not cooked long enough. So I would just get a small piece and then throw it out.
My husband and kids won't eat cranberry sauce, otherwise I would try to make my own. I do enjoy having the canned sauce, though. If some of it goes to waste that's o.k.

Old 11-14-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I would never presume to tell someone what to cook in their own home for Thanksgiving. Even if I was a vegan or something, I would just eat whatever was animal-free, and bring some vegan thing to contribute that I could eat if there were insufficient things I was able to eat. Thank heavens I'm not vegan! Not that there's anything wrong with that! (Seinfeld reference).

I do have one friend who is so picky it's hard to cook for her. I ask if there's anything she won't eat/doesn't like, and she says no. So I cooked pork tenderloin, oops she doesn't like pork! I cooked roasted brussel sprouts and butternut squash, oops she doesn't like brussel sprouts. We have sundaes for dessert, oops she doesn't want to spoil her diet that she forgot to tell us she was on. I think I'm going to have to invite them for Thanksgiving, I'm sort of dreading it. In the past when I've gone out of my way and made dishes that she requested , she eats about 3 bites of it and I'm stuck with a big bowl of leftover whatever it was. I'm a pretty good cook, but if it's not just the way she likes it, she pushes it around her plate like a 4 year old hiding peas under the napkin.
true - even though I didn't like my siblings cooking - I would still go and eat what I could.

I would take drinks - water, soft drinks, wine, tea - things like that. A dessert that I would make sure was something she had not already baked.

Maybe containers for her to keep on hand for leftovers, foil, etc - kitchen stuff that she would have used up.

It was fun to meet up with family.

Old 11-14-2021, 03:01 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,338,999 times
Is Thanksgiving a bigger event for you in the US than Christmas?
We of course do not have Thanksgiving so already the focus here is on the Christmas lunch, with all the similar potential dramas.
There is a bit of a push here to celebrate Halloween more but not to find a similar event to Thanksgiving. We find Christmas more than enough to deal with.

Old 11-14-2021, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I agree with you, but we did have to issue a ban on green bean casserole when about 5 years ago we had 3 different people bring one.
oh I love green bean casserole. We were not allowed to bring it to the Wednesday thanksgiving meal at the siblings. Her son hated that and tomatoes. So not allowed in the house if he would be there

Talk about a spoiled brat.

Old 11-14-2021, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Is Thanksgiving a bigger event for you in the US than Christmas?
We of course do not have Thanksgiving so already the focus here is on the Christmas lunch, with all the similar potential dramas.
There is a bit of a push here to celebrate Halloween more but not to find a similar event to Thanksgiving. We find Christmas more than enough to deal with.
I wouldn't call Thanksgiving bigger than Christmas. My kids are working on Thanksgiving but most businesses are closed on Christmas and they will not be working on Christmas.

Thanksgiving is the kick off of the holiday season. In our house that means watching football and holiday specials on T.V. and enjoying a nice dinner together in our formal dining room which only gets used for holiday meals. It's a day to give thanks for all of the many blessings in our lives.

Old 11-14-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
oh I love green bean casserole. We were not allowed to bring it to the Wednesday thanksgiving meal at the siblings. Her son hated that and tomatoes. So not allowed in the house if he would be there

Talk about a spoiled brat.
Yikes, how old is the kid?

Old 11-14-2021, 04:09 PM

7,348 posts, read 6,981,466 times
Most of my holidays and birthdays lately I've spent alone at Dennies it's no big deal.
I've turned down out side family invites, If I'm not actually part of the family it's just not right.
Celebrations are a private family affair IMO. like a third wheel.
I've done it in the past, but I felt like I was inhibiting the situation.
Besides, no one in this world ever did feasts like my mother did. and those are fondly remembered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement