Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 04:10 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
try making your own cranberry sauce. I did and oh my so good..
Yes, and homemade cranberry sauce is SO easy to make -- just follow the directions on the package. If I had known how easy it was to make,, I would have stopped buying canned sauce decades ago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2021, 04:19 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
OK, gotta put in my way to make gravy - super easy. If you can put the roasting pan over two burners stove top, do it, otherwise put all the turkey juice into a skillet. Low heat either way. Add flour to the grease, using a fork flat to mix it into a thick paste. Then slowly add either water or broth, continuing to whisk as you add it. It will thicken as it cooks. Season to taste. The secret is mixing all the flour in first and getting lumps flattened with the fork. Adding flour to a liquid will cause lumps.

Dang, now I want some gravy and mashed potatoes.

Old 11-14-2021, 04:33 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
OK, gotta put in my way to make gravy - super easy. If you can put the roasting pan over two burners stove top, do it, otherwise put all the turkey juice into a skillet. Low heat either way. Add flour to the grease, using a fork flat to mix it into a thick paste. Then slowly add either water or broth, continuing to whisk as you add it. It will thicken as it cooks. Season to taste. The secret is mixing all the flour in first and getting lumps flattened with the fork. Adding flour to a liquid will cause lumps.

Okay, just to add to that, my husband makes the gravy and he does what you do except that he puts some of the drippings with the flour, seasonings and some water into a small container, then seals the container tightly and then just vigorously shakes it until it is well mixed, about a minute and a half.. He then just stirs this into the drippings in the roasting pan, until it is thickened to his liking.

Old 11-14-2021, 06:10 PM

2,065 posts, read 1,863,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post

Anyone else use arrowroot? It dissolves more easily than flour. From what I remember, you don't need to use as much of it as the flour in order to thicken liquids. Doesn't add any flavor.

Old 11-14-2021, 07:12 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
I bought a smoked turkey from Costco, have some scalloped potatoes in the freezer (homemade) and may do a small side of dressing.

Hoping my trucker son will stop by for a few days but he is busy delivering goods to help out the supply chain.

And I wanted the turkey to pressure can for later meals.

Holidays aren't a big deal for the two of us.

Old 11-14-2021, 07:19 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
I do feel your pain MI-Roger. You made the first step. Now you need decide which way to go from here - have them make a decision to come or not to come or wing it.

Nah. Make the decision for them. It is their home, they decide who is welcome and who is not.

Family gets no pass for rude behavior. Ever.

Old 11-14-2021, 07:29 PM

7,342 posts, read 4,131,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Is Thanksgiving a bigger event for you in the US than Christmas?
We of course do not have Thanksgiving so already the focus here is on the Christmas lunch, with all the similar potential dramas.
There is a bit of a push here to celebrate Halloween more but not to find a similar event to Thanksgiving. We find Christmas more than enough to deal with.
Thanksgiving is for extended family to come together. Christmas is about attending Church and staying home with the immediate family.

About ten years ago, Friendsgiving became a thing. It's about ditching the extended family and spending the day with friends.

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/a...istory/575941/

My kids are pretty excited about Friendsgiving. They live too far away to come home for a dinner. Especially as everyone travels on Thanksgiving. Traffic jams, airline/train delays, it's crazy. It's chaotic even without weather and snow delays. My kids are using their vacation time to come home for Christmas. It's more important to us.

What's a Christmas lunch?

Old 11-14-2021, 07:32 PM

7,342 posts, read 4,131,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I bought a smoked turkey from Costco, have some scalloped potatoes in the freezer (homemade) and may do a small side of dressing.

Hoping my trucker son will stop by for a few days but he is busy delivering goods to help out the supply chain.

And I wanted the turkey to pressure can for later meals.

Holidays aren't a big deal for the two of us.
Thank your son for us!!!

It sounds like a lovely holiday!

Old 11-14-2021, 09:29 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
After being haranged by her Sister for not roasting a full Turkey (our household only likes white meat), for making the Stuffing in a casserole dish or on top of the stove, for only having one vegetable, and only two pies, my wife finally had enough!

For weeks now her Siblings have said they were not coming to our house for Thanksgiving, so my wife planned the menu for her and I and ample left-overs. Now realizing my wife will not be pressured into cooking a multi course meal and transporting it 2+ hours so they can gorge themselves with zero effort or cost, the four of them might be traveling to our house.

Assuming any of them will allow their car to be used for the 300 mile round trip, or someone will pay for the gas, or someone will drive, etc.

Don't you just love this time of year.
Your sister's siblings sound annoying! And rude. If they want more sides, order and pay for them at a catering place close to you. Or arrive early and make extra sides and cook it themselves. Make a salad and a sweet potato dish or whatever they think is "missing".

How many pies do they need? They sound presumptuous. Sometimes relatives can be annoying. They should be grateful for your hospitality.

Old 11-14-2021, 10:17 PM

31,908 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Puts me in mind of film "Avalon"...

Immigrant family starts out having big all family together Thanksgiving meals because, well that's what you do in America... Gradually things begin to slip (for various reasons) and end up with people staying home eating a frozen or whatever dinner on trays watching television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EEl7uV6YQU&t=1s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement