Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2021, 10:15 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,310,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Here in the US, for me anyway, Thanksgiving is like the beginning of the Christmas season - it's like it ushers it in. Many people, myself included, start decorating for Christmas the day after Thanksgiving - that weekend. For my family, Thanksgiving starts off the holiday season in a big way.

Some people are already decorating for Christmas though. I don't know how they see Thanksgiving. I can only speak for my family.
I have always thought it is a great custom to not decorate for Christmas until after Thanksgiving. It starts way too early here, though a cultural difference we discovered is that here, every mall is cleared of decorations on Christmas night. They reopen the following day or the next one, without a trace of Christmas to be seen. They then start on back to school even though it is a month away.

Of course the retailers are keen to adopt Black Friday and every year that becomes more prominent.

I refuse to decorate the house before the beginning of December. We have a raft of family birthdays in October and November and when they are out of the way, time to think of Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2021, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Thanksgiving is for extended family to come together. Christmas is about attending Church and staying home with the immediate family.

About ten years ago, Friendsgiving became a thing. It's about ditching the extended family and spending the day with friends.

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/a...istory/575941/

My kids are pretty excited about Friendsgiving. They live too far away to come home for a dinner. Especially as everyone travels on Thanksgiving. Traffic jams, airline/train delays, it's crazy. It's chaotic even without weather and snow delays. My kids are using their vacation time to come home for Christmas. It's more important to us.

What's a Christmas lunch?
I have not heard of Friendsgiving.

Here Christmas is the event of the year for the extended family to come together, often over a couple of days. We usually get four days public holidays over Christmas and many businesses shut down between Christmas and New Year.

We are fairly secular so some people do go to church, but not the majority.

We generally have our Christmas meal at lunch time, not on Christmas Eve, which is common in Europe. But many families spend half the day on the road, racing from one extended family gathering at lunch time to another in the evening.

The traditional Christmas meal is the British hot meal, with roast chicken/turkey, pork or lamb. Hot Christmas pudding and fruit cake. Obviously cold weather food and it is mid summer here. So many people have barbecues and seafood, or whatever they like to eat.

Most of us combine the customs and that is when you get all the dramas about who likes what. As it sounds like happens with Thanksgiving. I have my family here this Christmas and we are having some Italian food to please my husband, some seafood to please the adults, something very plain to please the extended family who do not like flavour with their food(!!)

Many families have family gatherings at Easter but many also are away at that time. One of my daughters and family always go camping with friends.

Old 11-20-2021, 05:30 PM

19,814 posts, read 9,376,760 times
^^^ Thanks, Marisa May, for sharing so much about how it is in Australia, or at least with you!

I love hearing about holiday customs of other countries!

Old 11-20-2021, 07:58 PM

88,609 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post

Here Christmas is the event of the year for the extended family to come together, often over a couple of days. We usually get four days public holidays over Christmas and many businesses shut down between Christmas and New Year.

We generally have our Christmas meal at lunch time, not on Christmas Eve, which is common in Europe. But many families spend half the day on the road, racing from one extended family gathering at lunch time to another in the evening.

The traditional Christmas meal is the British hot meal, with roast chicken/turkey, pork or lamb. Hot Christmas pudding and fruit cake. Obviously cold weather food and it is mid summer here. So many people have barbecues and seafood, or whatever they like to eat.

Most of us combine the customs and that is when you get all the dramas about who likes what. As it sounds like happens with Thanksgiving. I have my family here this Christmas and we are having some Italian food to please my husband, some seafood to please the adults, something very plain to please the extended family who do not like flavour with their food(!!)

Many families have family gatherings at Easter but many also are away at that time. One of my daughters and family always go camping with friends.
Thanksgiving's origins are a harvest time feast, so I can see why that wouldn't work for Australians in October or November, as in Canada and the US, respectively.

But wait, so then for you Easter is an autumn holiday?

Old 11-20-2021, 08:03 PM

88,609 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
^^^ Thanks, Marisa May, for sharing so much about how it is in Australia, or at least with you!

I love hearing about holiday customs of other countries!
Canada's is pretty much like the USA's with the big turkey except that it's the second Monday in October. That's also the weekend when people with summer cottages on the lakes close them up for the season.

For the past three years I've spent American Thanksgiving in Ontario, Canada and had duck. This year I will spend Thanksgiving with my daughter on Long Island, NY. We will be having lentil loaf, mashed potatoes, and roasted vegetables.

Old 11-25-2021, 07:11 PM

4,280 posts, read 5,940,712 times
Thanksgiving is over.

Three of my wife's four siblings attended, the fourth refused because one of the other three was coming (no one knows the source of the conflict except the one who didn't attend). My older Sister is bed-bound and my younger Sister was hosting her daughters with husbands. So five people total.

Meal was a success. I also cooked Turkey Legs to appease the lone dark meat lover. (too much leftovers!) My wife did all the other cooking with my assistance when requested.

No family drama. Probably the final time we will host due to the challenges of getting family to attend.

Old 11-25-2021, 08:32 PM

7,361 posts, read 4,146,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Thanksgiving is over.

Three of my wife's four siblings attended, the fourth refused because one of the other three was coming (no one knows the source of the conflict except the one who didn't attend). My older Sister is bed-bound and my younger Sister was hosting her daughters with husbands. So five people total.

Meal was a success. I also cooked Turkey Legs to appease the lone dark meat lover. (too much leftovers!) My wife did all the other cooking with my assistance when requested.

No family drama. Probably the final time we will host due to the challenges of getting family to attend.
No such thing as too many leftovers!!!

Turkey Tetrazzani - salute onions, celery, red bell pepper in butter and a dash of white wine (some people add carrots, mushrooms or cream which is too much for me), Add cubed leftover turkey to veggies and stir until warm. Toss in pasta. Sprinkle a lot of parmesan and chopped parsley.

The best Thanksgiving pie is the one made out of leftovers.
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blo...key-dinner-pie

Old 11-25-2021, 08:36 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,715,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post

That was so interesting. I've seen people at the beach during Christmas in Australia.

Old 11-26-2021, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
That was so interesting. I've seen people at the beach during Christmas in Australia.
The beach is especially popular with British and other backpackers, who usually have a huge party at Bondi Beach in Sydney. Also with all of us who want to exercise after a meal at lunchtime which is much heavier than usual.

Another summer tradition is that of Carols by Candlelight, often on Christmas Eve, in parks around the country.

On Christmas Day in Sydney, at least, the parks are full of people who are often not of Christian background and spend the day having picnics.

Will be interesting whether we get beach weather this Christmas. We are just concluding the coldest wettest spring in Sydney since 1999. Tonight it is only C60 degrees, raining, with strong winds. Sitting here in winter clothes!

Old 11-26-2021, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thanksgiving's origins are a harvest time feast, so I can see why that wouldn't work for Australians in October or November, as in Canada and the US, respectively.

But wait, so then for you Easter is an autumn holiday?
Yes, it is autumn which is usually lovely weather. But we lack the beautiful fall colours of other countries as our natural vegetation is evergreen. Deciduous trees have been planted in many places, especially Canberra, but it is not the thing to plant them these days.

We get four days public holidays at Easter and often the end of first term school vacation coincides with it. Thus a very popular time for families to go away.

Of course, the Easter Bunny brings chocolate eggs to good children on Easter Sunday. Hot cross buns are a traditional Easter food and seem to have become so popular that some supermarkets start selling them in January. I kid you not!

Naturally some people go to church at Easter and very many go to the Sydney Royal Easter Show. It was cancelled in 2020 because of Covid but this year 700,000 people attended, over 12 days. Very fortunately before our second lockdown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement