Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 02:50 PM

106,611 posts, read 108,757,383 times

Advertisements

We pay nothing for our gym …silver sneakers has been paying for years now ..we were paying 45 bucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2022, 03:00 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,230,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
This is common behavior for HD plans. The deductible is a huge buffer for the insurer given the teeny Medicare cost-sharing. Generally, only healthy people choose an HD plan. Biggest complaint on health insurance forum from the healthy is they are paying $600-$800/year for a plan that doesn't pay because they don't get sick. Good problem to have. Sorta like paying high taxes because you earn too much. Or having homeowners insurance but your house hasn't burned yet. I had an HD plan which actually lowered its premium.
Also, Medicare deductibles and the HD plan deductibles are subject to annual increases. That further buffers the HD plans against annual premium increases.

I think the HD plans make a lot of sense for many Medicare enrollees, although you may find many brokers either don't push them, or recommend them.

Old 01-11-2022, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Also, Medicare deductibles and the HD plan deductibles are subject to annual increases. That further buffers the HD plans against annual premium increases.

I think the HD plans make a lot of sense for many Medicare enrollees, although you may find many brokers either don't push them, or recommend them.
There isn’t much money in them for brokers ….these high deductible plans are not promoted and most here stopped offering them

Old 01-11-2022, 03:38 PM
JRR

8,163 posts, read 5,654,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
There isn’t much money in them for brokers ….these high deductible plans are not promoted and most here stopped offering them
Back when I was figuring out what supplement to get, I haunted a forum where retirement insurance agents posted. So many of them made no bones about if a client was interested in a high deductible F plan, they would just tell them to look elsewhere. They just felt it wasn't worth their time. Not all, but a majority felt that way.

That is why after we relocated from Florida to Tennessee and I was looking to change my high deductible F to another company, I was so lucky to find an agent who did all the legwork to see who would cover me with my specific medical condition.

Old 01-11-2022, 03:51 PM

We have Humana for our high deductible plan ….no issues at all with them

Old 01-11-2022, 04:04 PM
JRR

8,163 posts, read 5,654,439 times
Quote:
We have Humana for our high deductible plan ….no issues at all with them
I had United American in Florida. No real issues with them, but when I moved to Tennessee, I knew rates were cheaper here and asked them if my $69 per month premium would be changing. When they said No, I set about seeing what else I could get. Wound up going through underwriting with Banker's Fidelity and getting a premium of $41 which after four years has now gone up to a whopping $45.

Old 01-11-2022, 05:42 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,463,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Wound up going through underwriting with Banker's Fidelity and getting a premium of $41 which after four years has now gone up to a whopping $45.

Old 01-11-2022, 08:08 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,964,222 times
Quote:
Our part b is 170 a month .

Our drug plan fell from 40 to 13 a month and the 400 dollar deductible we had is now gone .

Our high deductible f plan is 96 a month and has not increased in years and since it has silver sneakers we are saving 45 a month on the gym
What is Silver Sneakers?

Old 01-11-2022, 08:33 PM

9,526 posts, read 16,507,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
What is Silver Sneakers?
Silver Sneakers is a gym membership to a number of gyms across the country. It comes with several of the Medicare Advantage Supplement Plans. I don't have it as it doesn't come with my insurance, but the gym I go to accepts it. I've met a number of seniors that do have Silver Sneakers and they like it and explained to me all the gyms they can go to. . Most of the gyms that accept it will also have exercise classes for the seniors. Such as stretching, yoga, exercises in a classroom or a swimming pool if there is a pool at the gym. Exercise classes are low intensity and structured so most seniors can participate to their own levels of fitness. These classes are by no means overly strenuous. Not all the gyms that accept Silver Sneakers have these classes, so if your interested keep that in mind. Planet Fitness for one not all locations have classes. Some gyms that offer it are. Anytime Fitness, Workout Anytime, LA Fitness, Golds Gyms and Planet Fitness. Most states you will find gyms that accept Silver Sneakers.

Old 01-11-2022, 09:16 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,463,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Silver Sneakers is a gym membership to a number of gyms across the country. It comes with several of the Medicare Advantage Supplement Plans.
At one time, SS seemed to be the purview of Advantage plans. Now, some Medigap plans are including Silver Sneakers type benefits, as well. Mathjak has a high deductible Medigap with Humana. Latest UHC Medigap application I received, said UHC supplement insurance included a "Renew Active" gym membership "at a location near you, at no additional cost; access to an extensive network of premium gyms and fitness locations near you.""
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement