Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2021, 12:36 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
My husband died so not only do I get to "enjoy" being alone, I am now subjected to a monthly increase of almost $300 in Medicare Part B and Part D IRMAA premiums in 2022 since my filing status changes from MFJ to Single. That $300 isn't the premium, it's the INCREASE in premium for 2022 from 2021.

My income is substantially the same as before and so are my expenses other than the government imposed expenses which have increased considerably since he died. I'm not living the life of the Rich and Famous now that he has died. I don't have any more money than before, but yet the government is taking an additional $300 a month from me just for Medicare. I'm sure when I calculate my 2021 FIT liability, I will be similarly penalized for being a widow.
So sorry for your loss. The price increase you face just adds insult to injury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2021, 01:31 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
That’s a big jump. T-Mobile has a prepaid plan for 15/month with unlimited talk/text and 2/data. I just switched and that saved me 40/month. In my state it has the best coverage so something to look into. Some of my other bills have also increased.
Consumer Cellular is good too, if you get good signals from either AT&T or TMobile towers. We pay $41. for 2 phones with more data, texting and minutes than we will ever need.

Old 11-16-2021, 06:22 AM

9,132 posts, read 6,185,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Not exactly. People forget that Social Security was originally designed to help prevent older workers and their families from falling into poverty when they were no longer able to work. IOW, many could not afford to retire. For a long time, workers, regardless of age, who engaged in work activities were prohibited from collecting Social Security Retirement Benefits. The benefit was never meant to contribute to one's wealth, the goal was to provide a minimal level of financial security to workers who might otherwise not be able to retire. Over the years, politicians turned the whole premise of providing for a secure, but somewhat meager, retirement upside down.
People also forget that the average life expectancy in 1935 was less than 60 years of age. With a retirement age of 65, the expectation was that most people would never collect any benefits. While promises of easy money were made by the government and the New Deal, they never expected it to cost very much due to early deaths before retirement.

Old 11-16-2021, 10:40 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
Shockingly, our Part B supplement plan decreased!
Medicare Part B increased for everyone.

What's a "supplement" to Part B? Is that an Advantage plan?

Old 11-16-2021, 10:51 AM

163 posts, read 95,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
My husband died so not only do I get to "enjoy" being alone, I am now subjected to a monthly increase of almost $300 in Medicare Part B and Part D IRMAA premiums in 2022 since my filing status changes from MFJ to Single. That $300 isn't the premium, it's the INCREASE in premium for 2022 from 2021.

My income is substantially the same as before and so are my expenses other than the government imposed expenses which have increased considerably since he died. I'm not living the life of the Rich and Famous now that he has died. I don't have any more money than before, but yet the government is taking an additional $300 a month from me just for Medicare. I'm sure when I calculate my 2021 FIT liability, I will be similarly penalized for being a widow.

I've been looking into the IRMAA concern and taxes as a single to see the potential impact on our retirement when one of us dies and it really is mind blowing. Just wait until you see what happens to your taxes--it is startling!

Old 11-16-2021, 11:20 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Medicare Part B increased for everyone.

What's a "supplement" to Part B? Is that an Advantage plan?
a medigap plan .

no it is not an advantage plan .

it is not for profit govt medicare with a medigap supplement plan and a part d drug plan .

an advantage plan is all rolled in to one with a for profit insurer as your gate keeper .
an advantage plan is my last choice .

Old 11-16-2021, 11:28 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
actually that money ended and had no effect on the numbers returning to work regardless of who’s extra federal money we are talking about

it is the supply chain and unfilled jobs that are causing a lot of this inflation
Exactly what I said - supply chain and labor issues, but that is because of extended unemployment payments and mandates.

Lets not take this to politics but those are the main issues - the money ended just a couple of weeks ago in many places and surprise, surprise, the jobs reports suddenly got better, get rid of the federal mandates and things will improve.

Last edited by ddeemo; 11-16-2021 at 11:58 AM..

Old 11-16-2021, 11:56 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
a medigap plan .

no it is not an advantage plan .

it is not for profit govt medicare with a medigap supplement plan and a part d drug plan .

an advantage plan is all rolled in to one with a for profit insurer as your gate keeper .
an advantage plan is my last choice .
An Advantage plan is fine for some, especially if need to save some money, but I would never use one.

Old 11-16-2021, 12:01 PM

43,101 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
An Advantage plan is fine for some, especially if need to save some money, but I would never use one.
May I ask why not ?

Old 11-16-2021, 12:22 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
May I ask why not ?
to many negatives having a for profit insurer in charge of your path of treatment .

nothing is ever a problem with an advantage plan , until its a problem and then it usually is a big problem .

they know you dont have govt medicare , so you can never say in your instance what medicare would have allowed and they know that . so they can deny things left and right and many times do

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-16-2021 at 12:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement