Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 12:46 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,659,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by utvolfan View Post
I often run into the corner drug store chain for a gallon of milk when I don't need anything else from the grocery store. It used to be about 3.49 a gallon and suddenly it is now 5.89! I walked out. I refused to pay that for a gallon of milk.
Good for you.

I recall back in about 1971 or 1972, running out of gas on my motorcycle, and pushing the bike about a half mile to get to the closest gas station. But they wanted the rediculously high price of 32.9 cents per gallon. I refused to pay that much, so I kept pushing another half mile to get to a gas station selling gas for 29.9 cents per gallon.

Yep, I showed 'em.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2021, 12:55 PM

5,330 posts, read 6,027,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
ss was designed to replace about a third of ones income from day one ..it was never a means of sole support. it was always planned to be part of the three legged stool.

that stool was pension , ss and your own savings .

only about 20% of the population live on ss providing more than 90% of their income

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewb...h=74596c4f2db4
Nope. Sounds reasonable until you look back to say, 1929, the result of which led to the establishment of Social Security. There was no "three-legged stool". It wasn't until the end of 1950 that 21% of the private sector workforce had pensions. https://www.thebalance.com/the-histo...374#citation-5 What percentage of private sector workers do you believe had access to pensions when Social Security was passed?!
Re: Biggs opinion. Forget it. He is a twit, but he is not stupid. I have to assume that he deliberately relied on tax returns to support his position because he knows that low-income retirees do not file tax returns.

Old 11-16-2021, 12:57 PM

43,182 posts, read 18,318,340 times
Quote:
to many negatives having a for profit insurer in charge of your path of treatment .

nothing is ever a problem with an advantage plan , until its a problem and then it usually is a big problem .

they know you dont have govt medicare , so you can never say in your instance what medicare would have allowed and they know that . so they can deny things left and right and many times do
But then you can just switch back to medicare the next year if you develop the need for continuing health care.

Old 11-16-2021, 01:01 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,672,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
But then you can just switch back to medicare the next year if you develop the need for continuing health care.
But then (in most states) to get a medigap to go with original medicare, a person would have to go through underwriting.

Old 11-16-2021, 02:01 PM

106,771 posts, read 108,973,015 times
Quote:
not in most states ..you need to be medically approved .

plus when something major happens no one with cancer is waiting until open enrollment to have surgery if there is an issue with the plan not approving some treatment

Old 11-16-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Nope. Sounds reasonable until you look back to say, 1929, the result of which led to the establishment of Social Security. There was no "three-legged stool". It wasn't until the end of 1950 that 21% of the private sector workforce had pensions. https://www.thebalance.com/the-histo...374#citation-5 What percentage of private sector workers do you believe had access to pensions when Social Security was passed?!
Re: Biggs opinion. Forget it. He is a twit, but he is not stupid. I have to assume that he deliberately relied on tax returns to support his position because he knows that low-income retirees do not file tax returns.
nice breakout for who gets what percentage of income

Old 11-16-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Well that's a dwindling number of people pre-1950 so it applies to less and less each year.

Old 11-16-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
not in most states ..you need to be medically approved .

plus when something major happens no one with cancer is waiting until open enrollment to have surgery if there is an issue with the plan not approving some treatment
Well I would think if you have history of cancer in your family you would opt to have the best insurance to begin with.

Old 11-16-2021, 03:27 PM

5,330 posts, read 6,027,018 times
Quote:
nice breakout for who gets what percentage of income
There's historical policy on that unrelated issue, as well. If you want to start a new thread on that subject, I'm game.

Old 11-16-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Well I would think if you have history of cancer in your family you would opt to have the best insurance to begin with.
In the case I know about there was no history …..but it does not have to be cancer …it can be any medical emergency they dispute the course of treatment in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement