Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 07:18 AM

979 posts, read 417,999 times

Advertisements

[quote=ChristineVA;62312573]I mean, I like turkey, but it's kind of meh and a bit of pain to deal with. [quote]

Sounds like you tolerate turkey more than you like it.

I have family who really don't like turkey, but feel obligated due to tradition.

We switched over to Peking duck for Thanksgiving. And if we get tired of that, it'll be something else.

Traditions change for a reason ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2021, 08:23 AM

17,381 posts, read 16,524,581 times
We'll enjoy turkey on Thanksgiving as always.

Christmas dinner will be prime rib and lobster tail along with some favorite homemade side dishes.

Old 11-14-2021, 08:34 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Maybe yes, maybe no. Depends a lot on what the cost and the availability.

One thing about it is that essentially, the turkey is about the only traditional item left on the menu that I can still have. No champagne with orange juice, no Stingers with turkey sandwiches, just water to drink, not many pigs in blankets, though the pecan pie is still possible.....no ice cream though.

I suppose this is the year that I try making Yucatan soup.

Old 11-14-2021, 08:51 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Interesting responses. We probably will not do another Turkey for Thanksgiving for many of the reasons others gave.

Not sure where we will be having XMas dinner or for how many people. Prime Rib sounds good oh well we will discuss over Turkey day dinner with the players if not sooner. Hmmmm think I will send a group text message now.

Old 11-14-2021, 08:59 AM

1,400 posts, read 766,448 times
Hi OP I always cooked a turkey on Thanksgiving because it is traditional and a beautiful dinner. Turkey always appeared at Christmas too because Andy Williams just wouldn't have sung about a Christmas lasagna

Old 11-14-2021, 09:08 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy739 View Post
Hi OP I always cooked a turkey on Thanksgiving because it is traditional and a beautiful dinner. Turkey always appeared at Christmas too because Andy Williams just wouldn't have sung about a Christmas lasagna
Yes but how did he feel about the Christmas cookies?
Andy Williams: Not Now, Not Ever, NEVER!

Old 11-14-2021, 09:13 AM

17,381 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Turkey is easy to cook. Just prepare it, pop it into the oven and let it cook, occasionally basting and adjusting the tinfoil over the breast to keep it moist.

All of my baked side dishes cook at the same temperature, so when the turkey comes out to "rest" before carving, the oven temp is adjusted, the side dishes go in and are done around the same time that the turkey is carved.

Old 11-14-2021, 09:19 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
I've always prepared turkey for Thanksgiving and never much cared for it. After discussing it with the family this year it turns out three of four of us would rather have pheasant. So I guess we'll finally give the old bird the heave-ho and no grieving here.

The catch for us has always been the dressing which I will try to duplicate in muffin cups. We'll see.

Mom used to serve turkey or lutefisk for Christmas. We've continued the tradition of marine food over the years - cod, halibut, a few times lutefisk, and most often a variety of shellfish. The latter may have to be discarded this year after viewing the price of King crab and Maine lobster. Yikes!

Old 11-14-2021, 09:24 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,937,011 times
I have been in charge of roasting the Turkey for years. I set up the electric roaster on my workbench in the basement, and it is a Turkey breast or two rather than the whole bird.
Up side is the kitchen and oven are free for preparing all the side dishes.
Downside is this method will not provide the golden brown skin color desired for a 'carve at the table whole turkey' without the additional roaster option of a blower lid which will dry the skin to create the golden brown skin tone while roasting.

Old 11-14-2021, 09:26 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Turkey is easy to cook. Just prepare it, pop it into the oven and let it cook, occasionally basting and adjusting the tinfoil over the breast to keep it moist.

All of my baked side dishes cook at the same temperature, so when the turkey comes out to "rest" before carving, the oven temp is adjusted, the side dishes go in and are done around the same time that the turkey is carved.
Sounds like you've got it well-coordinated. I've always thought of turkey dinner as a real cook killer and test of timing. First you've got that careful thawing if you have a frozen one. Then in the kitchen you've got potatoes to mash, gravy to make, buns to warm, dressing to scoop and turkey to carve nearly all at once. And get everything to the table warm. Thank goodness for microwaves.

I'm so done with that! Though I suppose if everyone were begging I'd do it if only for tradition's sake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement